Can i overclock with this psu

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hi
I recently had my phenom ii x6 successfully overclocked but my crap evo labs 700 wat PSU blew up. I bought a 750 watt cit 750UB as a cheap replacement to get me gaming again.
If I overclock with this one is it likely to blow up as well? I didn't think PSU's were that much of an issue as long as they had enough watts to run all the components,but my last one went with a huge bang and don't want to risk another PSU. Maybe my other one was just faulty and this one will be fine, I don't know.
But I was enjoying playing games at 4.1 ghz and the performance increase i got from it.
I'm Tempted to try again but not sure. I wasn't gonna bother but after gaming for a few hours i miss the extra fps

That psu will probably die on you again and hopefully not take the rest of your computer with it. The rated wattage is NOT what is important. What is important is the amount of amps on the +12V rail(s). A good psu will be able to provide almost the whole rated wattage on the +12V. Yours probably won't provide much at all. I wouldn't trust your psu in my machine.

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

yeah as i thought. only paid £20 out my local store just to get my pc working again (and check nothing else broke) So could you tell me what to look out for in a PSU or recommend one? My budget is only about £40 -£50 mind co's unemployed

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I bought a few crap psu's co's don't know whats good or bad i had a 550 watt one blow then the 700 watt one and now your saying 750 watt is no good.....*face meet desk

So the wattage doesn't matter after all that lol. I need to find one with how many amps on the 12 volt rail for it to be good at overclocking?

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

usually go on ebay.co.uk or amazon.co.uk at the moment i got a 6770 but wanna upgrade someday when i can afford it. mainly just want to get my 4.1 ghz back without risking blowing £6-700 worth of PC (which it cost me to build) to kingdom come. would prefer to pay less than that obviously lol
this one will be ok at stock speed tho right? my 700watt evo labs one was till i overclocked

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
not without saving for a few weeks or more I'm afraid. pretty much built this whole PC in little steps and it's pretty awesome considering. Are there none cheaper that are just as good lol
about all i could lay out in one go is £40 -£50... unemployed due to illness and only get a bit of money see, get paid fortnightly too which is a bitch. can't wait to get off my medication and get well so i Can get a job

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

see on there it doesn't even give you the info about 12v rails or anything so i myself couldn't tell if that was better than what i got or not. Sure you can but i would have automatically gone for a higher wattage one mistakenly
btw I don't mind saving but suck at it so unless i can't get a good one cheaper i will have to save.

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

even better than what i found. so are these ones all gonna take whatever i throw at em without blowing up and risking my PC?.
oh btw i can get a 650 watt version for £57 it says. I will keep these handy till I'm in the clear with my mate and get him to order one and it does say overclockers. and also says it supports SLI and Xfire btw

That looks good too. For the most part stick to OCZ, seasonic, antec, corsair, silverstone, and xfx. If you read through some threads you will see that a lot of people having issues are due to cheap power supplies. The two OCZ or the seasonic PSUs will be great for one graphics card (unless it's a 6990/590) with a little overclocking.

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

ok so do all these ones have ample 12 v rail ampage lol ample ampage

Thanks for your help btw. I also have to get a better motherboard was gonna get an asrock 970 chipset quad xfire motherboard (mines an ASUS M5A78L 760g chipset) i saw the asrock for £55 & have sice found my asus to be a crap mobo lol ...plus will need one of these PSU's. Will get there soon i guess then can concentrate on better GPU & SSD

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Why does it say they are sli and crossfire ready then? Oh and I'm never gonna be able to afford a 6990 lol but the 7xxxx series are less power hungry are they not?

Some graphics cards only use one 6 pin power connector. I was assuming yours used 2. The 7000 series does use less power than the 6000 series if comparing similar models. I hope I helped. By the way, I have a 7870 and it's pretty nice.

steelninja

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

I bet that 7870 is nice. yeah you helped loads mate and thanks will definetly buy one of those ASAP and forget about overclocking till then.( It's not like I really need to) the 1100t is a great CPU for me and glad i bought it.
Cheers man

You're welcome. I hope everything works out ok for you. I saw the 1100t is still beating the 8350 in some situations. So you're going to pick one of my replies as best answer right? I'd appreciate it.