What is the best processor for multi-tasking

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello, I need a new desktop PC. I have all of my music on the computer and lots of pictures. I also multitask, researching for genealogy. My machine is 10 years old and is slow with all I have on it and the way I use it.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
I'd probably say the Intel X7460 or a W5590 or a 980X.

The X7460 and W5590 cost around 2-3k while the 980x costs around 1k. These are hexacored processors and currently the best of the best in the chain when it comes to multi-tasking.

randomkid

Distinguished

This is very good answer to the question but you know its not practical and most probably not what the OP is looking for.

To Jeanne55,
With a 10 year old PC, you should replace all parts so it will be better to ask for a new build. Here is a good guide that will help you choose specs for your new PC:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269162-31-recommended-builds-usage

Here is one of the lowest cost option you can find there:\

Bargain: $526.73

* CPU: AAMD Athlon II X3 435 Rana 2.9GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor Model ADX435WFGIBOX - Retail
* MOBO: MSI 785GTM-E45 AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
* RAM: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail
* HSF: Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - Retail
* HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
* PSU: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D Green 430W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power ... - Retail
* GPU: SAPPHIRE 100254HDMI Radeon HD 4650 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail
* DVD: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM
* Case: COOLER MASTER Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP Black SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
* Thermal Compound: Comes with heatsink.

You can cut down the cost further if you modify it a bit:
HSF - Skip. Use the stock cooler that comes with the CPU.
RAM - Just get 2GB of RAM. It is a lot already. You can always buy more when you feels its not enough for your need.
GPU - Skip. Use the onboard video on the motherboard.

Some my suggest DDR3 RAM in this case you can get the MSI 785GM-E51 Motherboard and the DDR3 RAM.

There are a lot of good posters that will even give you most up to date specs and links to combo's that will give you good savings. You just need to tell them your specific budget and preferences.

I hope they come to your thread to help.

Hello, I need a new desktop PC. I have all of my music on the computer and lots of pictures. I also multitask, researching for genealogy. My machine is 10 years old and is slow with all I have on it and the way I use it.

Your a pretty basic user by the standards of most users on this board. I would just find a system with a quad core processor, at least 4 GB of RAM and at least a 1 TB hard drive. You should be able to land something like that for $700 and should suite your needs for a long time.

If your on a bit of a budget, you can get away with buying the cheapest thing around. Your current system is so old, that anything you buy today will be many times faster with much more RAM and hard disk space that your current setup.

hope it helps.

arpit47

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
If You Wanna Buy Then I Suggest You For AMD Phenom II X4 Processor And Asus Board, 2-4GB RAM, 500 GB Hard Disk.
This Is Quad Core Processor And Best For Multitasking.
You Have To Buy AMD Phenom Ii X4 550,555,560,565 BE.

oby20

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

using and keeping a 10yr old desktop, i think you dont do much with a pc, nothing spectacular, just doing music, picture viewing, net researching, and other basic stuff
then i think an intel core i3 530 is your best choice, affordable and powerful enough to what you are doing.

oby20

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
^ not a Athlon II x2, which is like 50USD cheaper?

yes 50 usd cheaper but athlon II x2 is way slower than an intel i3, the intel core i3 has much to offer and very worth of a 50USD extra cost. better performance overall specially in multitask as it has hyper threading means each core can do 2 things at a time, and a larger L2 cache in 4mb than athlon II x2 w/c only has 2mb cache, this means to reduce the average time to access memory, a larger cache means faster accessing a data because it stores data in the cache and the processor immediately reads from or writes to the cache, which is much faster than reading from or writing to main memory.
so core i3 will outrun the athlon II x2.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Oh for the love of...

Imagine you live in the 1980s to 1990s. Forums aren't exactly here. Most people had a system similar to it, where emails were used instead of posts. Usenet was a system that predated forums.

THG archives those posts and discussions. Oh god, can we please have randomizer or 4ryan6 explain? I wasn't alive back then (on the interwibble).

Status
Not open for further replies.