What do you guys think of this AMD "kit" ?

zzrich

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.328310

I dont need the psu or the HD. So I could sell them to make back some money. I also have 2 8800gt's to use with it. The board has an 8800 series graphics chip. I read somewhere that I could link the onboard igp to the add on vid cards. I dont know if its true, or if it will work with XP, which is my os. There is also the possibility of unlocking the 4th core on the cpu .

THis might be better than upgrading my current lga775 setup with a better cpu. What do you all think ? My irs rebate check is startin' to burn a hole in my pocket ! :lol:

zzrich

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Wow, thanks for that ares ! I never have bought a pre-made or pre configuired system before. I have always picked and choosed the best. I guess I got lazy...

I guess another option for me is to get a better cpu for the p5ne-sli, and a new case and try to fool myself into thinking thats its a new comp ! (it would be cheaper too) :) Great advice though.

My current system is actualy more than I need now. But you know when that upgrade bug bites ....there aint no cure.... :D

That AMD kit isn't too bad, needs a cooler for the OEM CPU though, but for the budget minded it's better to pick things out yourself :D. Personally, I think if you need an upgrade right now your current board has a few options with a BIOS update. You can get a Q6600 or an E8400 and overclock em. That could hold you off till you save for a new build or something.

ares1214

Splendid
i really wouldnt do that. if you are gaming, then you wont see a massive difference, and by buying a 200ish$ cpu, you are still gonna buy a am3 or 1156 system probably within a year, so you might as well just not waste the 200$+ and instead get a new build.

zzrich

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
ARRGHHH!!!!!! Lol . Yeah, my system right now isnt too bad. If I went to a e5xxx series cpu it would probably be for vanities sake (higher oc) than any real performance gains. I can play even dirt2 at medium settings 8x aa and get 40 to 60 fps during a race. Crysis demo I get a nice frame rate as well at med/high. The e2200 is a good little cpu. I havent even tried to max it out yet.

One of the reasons I was concidering upgrading was so I could pass down some of my older components to build a nice rig for my kids. Yes I said kids (I have 3 lol). I was thinking about kicking down my e2200 to my oldest son running on a p5gc-mx/1333 I have. (had it running at 2.75 on that board with no voltage increase) So many choices !

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

stay away from nvidia chipset based mb if you value your money and time.

zzrich

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

Yeah I'm going to wait to do a major upgrade. I just bought the components above your post, I'll be fine for another year.

daggs

Distinguished
May 12, 2009

noticed it after I've posted and as I cannot edit posts I've decided not to post another unneeded post.
good luck.