Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What do you guys think of this AMD "kit" ?

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 5, 2010 5:56:14 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

I dont need the psu or the HD. So I could sell them to make back some money. I also have 2 8800gt's to use with it. The board has an 8800 series graphics chip. I read somewhere that I could link the onboard igp to the add on vid cards. I dont know if its true, or if it will work with XP, which is my os. There is also the possibility of unlocking the 4th core on the cpu .

THis might be better than upgrading my current lga775 setup with a better cpu. What do you all think ? My irs rebate check is startin' to burn a hole in my pocket ! :lol: 

More about : guys amd kit

February 5, 2010 6:09:21 PM
February 5, 2010 6:25:54 PM

Wow, thanks for that ares ! I never have bought a pre-made or pre configuired system before. I have always picked and choosed the best. I guess I got lazy...

I guess another option for me is to get a better cpu for the p5ne-sli, and a new case and try to fool myself into thinking thats its a new comp ! (it would be cheaper too) :)  Great advice though.

My current system is actualy more than I need now. But you know when that upgrade bug bites ....there aint no cure.... :D 
Related resources
February 5, 2010 7:25:32 PM

1. Unless you run multi threaded apps, your OCed E2200 is fine.

2. Why not just grab a new CPU + Motherboard + RAM instead of doing a full upgrade?

3. Budget?

(Note: I'm assuming the rig listed in your sig is the one getting upgraded).
February 5, 2010 7:47:06 PM

lol well i highly recommend against putting a new cpu into that board, either upgrade to one of those 2, or wait it out till about june or may and get a fermi.
February 5, 2010 7:59:17 PM

That AMD kit isn't too bad, needs a cooler for the OEM CPU though, but for the budget minded it's better to pick things out yourself :D . Personally, I think if you need an upgrade right now your current board has a few options with a BIOS update. You can get a Q6600 or an E8400 and overclock em. That could hold you off till you save for a new build or something.
February 5, 2010 8:05:58 PM

i really wouldnt do that. if you are gaming, then you wont see a massive difference, and by buying a 200ish$ cpu, you are still gonna buy a am3 or 1156 system probably within a year, so you might as well just not waste the 200$+ and instead get a new build.
February 5, 2010 9:27:19 PM

ARRGHHH!!!!!! Lol . Yeah, my system right now isnt too bad. If I went to a e5xxx series cpu it would probably be for vanities sake (higher oc) than any real performance gains. I can play even dirt2 at medium settings 8x aa and get 40 to 60 fps during a race. Crysis demo I get a nice frame rate as well at med/high. The e2200 is a good little cpu. I havent even tried to max it out yet.

One of the reasons I was concidering upgrading was so I could pass down some of my older components to build a nice rig for my kids. Yes I said kids (I have 3 lol). I was thinking about kicking down my e2200 to my oldest son running on a p5gc-mx/1333 I have. (had it running at 2.75 on that board with no voltage increase) So many choices !
February 5, 2010 10:49:59 PM

At any rate, yes, LGA775 is dead/EOL.
February 5, 2010 10:51:34 PM

ooo sorry i mistook what you meant, but yep, get a good am3 or 1156 system, 775= :non: 
February 6, 2010 7:21:33 AM

zzrich said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

I dont need the psu or the HD. So I could sell them to make back some money. I also have 2 8800gt's to use with it. The board has an 8800 series graphics chip. I read somewhere that I could link the onboard igp to the add on vid cards. I dont know if its true, or if it will work with XP, which is my os. There is also the possibility of unlocking the 4th core on the cpu .

THis might be better than upgrading my current lga775 setup with a better cpu. What do you all think ? My irs rebate check is startin' to burn a hole in my pocket ! :lol: 

stay away from nvidia chipset based mb if you value your money and time.
February 6, 2010 7:30:52 AM

daggs said:
stay away from nvidia chipset based mb if you value your money and time.


Yeah I'm going to wait to do a major upgrade. I just bought the components above your post, I'll be fine for another year.
February 6, 2010 7:38:31 AM

zzrich said:
Yeah I'm going to wait to do a major upgrade. I just bought the components above your post, I'll be fine for another year.

noticed it after I've posted and as I cannot edit posts I've decided not to post another unneeded post.
good luck.
!