Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SOLVED ;Gigabyte x58A-UD5 rev 2 - i7 950 wont boot.

Last response: in Motherboards
September 11, 2010 8:23:10 PM

I read a similar post, and checked what was obvious to me and am still hung up. I am suspecting incompatibility with the memory, but it is major brand and only moderate speed. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

I am halting immediately on the first post. error is C 1.

The (Gigabyte x58A-UD5 rev 2) LED's for the i7950 processor load are indicating a heavy load, but there appears to be nothing happening.

I have unplugged all peripherals and also reset cmos with back panel button.

I am on bios 2.0 and there does not appear to be an update available.

The GB site says the 950 processor is supported in this release.

I am using 3 Patriot 4 gig sticks in a kit. They are 1333mhz. pt # PGS312G1333ELK

All components are new from box.

Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance
a c 715 V Motherboard
September 11, 2010 8:51:18 PM

Carver said:
I am suspecting incompatibility with the memory, but it is major brand and only moderate speed. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
I am using 3 Patriot 4 gig sticks PGS312G1333ELKe

You guessed in Right - I checked an your Patriot is indeed not listed as compatible.

Compatible list:
Speed Capacity Datasheet
PGS324G1600ELHK PC3-12800 (1600MHz) 24 GB
PGS36G1600ELK PC3-12800 (1600MHz) 6 GB
PGS36G1600ELKC PC3-12800 (1600MHz) 6 GB
PVT36G1600ELK PC3-12800 (1600MHz) 6 GB
PVT36G1600LLK PC3-12800 (1600MHz) 6 GB
PV736G1600ELK PC3-12800 (1600MHz) 6 GB
PV736G1600LLK PC3-12800 (1600MHz) 6 GB
PGS36G1333ELK PC3-10666 (1333MHz) 6 GB

Comparable {F3-10666CL9T-12GBRL} http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Certified - http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_g...
September 11, 2010 10:00:32 PM

Thanks. I checked and printed the compatibility check sheet before posting, but don't see any 4 gig modules listed even in kits. I can't find the list you posted. where was it located? The link above is the same list I printed, but not similar to yours.

24 gig is where I am headed but budget had me just doing 12 at a time. The local retailer had the 12 gig Patriot kits for $279. that was an easy decision, but not if they wont work.

Since posting I went to the retailer and he sold me a set of OCZ modules that produced the same result.

I am headed back with the new numbers now. Thanks again.
Related resources
a c 715 V Motherboard
September 11, 2010 10:15:51 PM

^ http://www.patriotmemory.com/configurator/index.jsp BTW - as I recall you'll need to view the Full list option.

I've learned to first check the MOBO list and then if needed the manufacturer's site. Building a WS everything must be spec'd and certified.

Footnote: sometimes 2 sets of matched DDR don't work in a hexa-channel configuration.
September 11, 2010 10:25:31 PM

Thanks, I am headed back to the store with the list. I have a dead machine, no back-up and a project to deliver on Monday morning.
I decided it was time to build a new video editing machine anyway.

I haven't built anything in a couple of years and had forgotten all the joy. This is maybe my 20th since the mid eighties and by far the worst process since those old ones I started with. Most of the builds have been pretty painless. This one has a lot of whistles and bells, but I won't start on the fancy stuff until I get the basic machine tuned.

Thanks again.
a c 715 V Motherboard
September 11, 2010 10:46:54 PM

Been there - if all goes well 1st post in a complex build I'm even MORE scared.

My Pleasure!
a b V Motherboard
September 12, 2010 11:28:51 AM

Carver said:
I read a similar post, and checked what was obvious to me and am still hung up. I am suspecting incompatibility with the memory, but it is major brand and only moderate speed. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

The (Gigabyte x58A-UD5 rev 2) LED's for the i7950 processor load are indicating a heavy load, but there appears to be nothing happening.

I have unplugged all peripherals and also reset cmos with back panel button.

I am on bios 2.0 and there does not appear to be an update available.

The GB site says the 950 processor is supported in this release.

I am using 3 Patriot 4 gig sticks in a kit. They are 1333mhz. pt # PGS312G1333ELK

All components are new from box.

Any and all thoughts appreciated. Thanks in advance

I am 100% certain that the guy you were talking to is 100% wrong. How can I be so certain?

I test memory and motherboards for a living.

The most likely caust of a memory error is that you built this system just as you would a socket 775 system. Ooops.

All Core i series processors have the DIMM order reversed. Counting from the CPU socket over, you should have filled the second, fourth, and sixth slots.

That is, counting from the CPU socket to the right.

As in, the correct order is Unfilled-Full-Unfilled-Full-Unfilled-Full: Unlike previous-generation or AMD board, the DIMM slot right next to the CPU socket should be empty (Unfilled) when you're using three modules.

Please check this first, thanks.

Best solution

a c 715 V Motherboard
September 12, 2010 2:05:06 PM

Per Post Code C1 = manual Detect memory - Auto-detection of DRAM size, type and ECC. Now assuming OP properly seated the DDR <AND> read the manual -> DDR3_1, DDR3_3, DDR3_5. I gave the OP some credit.

Every "solved" C1 Post Error I've ever seen involved, in order: 1. BIOS update corruption, 2. Incorrect DDR {unsupported DDR or ECC DDR vs non-ECC}, 3. "Bad" DDR stick, or 4. User installation error {misplacement of DDR or improper seating}.

@Crashman - I wish all non-ECC DDR would work on all MOBOs but it simply does not and Testing DDR as you do I have to imagine daily you find DDR simply won't work or works erratically for one reason or another on a MOBO no matter what you do to make it work. Hence your name I assume "Crashman"... The GA-X58A-UD5 is a socket 1366 MOBO.

Also, I'd have to think DDR3 would only have 2 controller types (non/ECC) and only come in an assortment of speeds, they're crazy then to have sooo many different controllers. Clearly, I need some schooling.
September 12, 2010 11:11:04 PM

SOLVED !!!

I spent hours with a very highly qualified tech last night pulling every brand of memory from the shelf and testing it in the ud5. It worked great with 2 gig chips of each brand in any quantity. It would post with a single 4 gig chip, but would not post if you added the other two in same bank. We used kingston, OCZ and patriot. We tested different speeds in each.

Bios updates were done, another 2 similar boards were pulled from new stock with exact same results. Needing to get back to work today, we checked the same in the Asus Rampage III extreme, booted with everything we threw at it. It was more than bit of a shocker on price at $429, but I could not afford to wait for bargains from the net.
As things go it was a blessing (albeit expensive ) in disguise. I have been a Gigabyte fan for a long time, but the layout of the slots on this board were going to give me grief. I am going to be installing an OCZ Revolution SSD drive in the PCI-E-4x slot and that was simply not going to happen because of unbelievable layout conflicts. Running it in another slot would take from the bandwidth on my video cards. The Asus is spaced perfectly and going to be easier to finish the build.

Thanks for the input !!
September 12, 2010 11:20:53 PM

Best answer selected by Carver.
a c 715 V Motherboard
September 12, 2010 11:21:33 PM

Very good!

So the solution "SOLVED" was to nix the GA -> for ASUS Rampage III extreme.

That's bizarre the GA-X58A-UD5 couldn't work. BTW - I had to RMA (10) yes ten GA-X58A-UD3R (rev 2) because they'd Shutdown or BSOD with SSD + RAID 1 HDDs; I exchanged for ASUS P6X58D-E. Pseudo WSs for my office.
!