Problem connecting to wifi internet

G

Hello,
I am running Windows XP on a Dell laptop. I am kind of a novice and don't really know more then the basics about computers. My laptop works fine connecting to my wifi at home and in the past has had no problem connecting to public wifi services elsewhere. But now for some reason, I can no longer get on the internet on public or private wifi outside of my home. The system successfully finds close wifi signals and successfully connects to them. It tells me that I am connected and that the signal strength is excelent, but when I try to open a browser it fails every time and says it cannot find the network. These wifi networks don't require a network key or password so thats not the problem. Any ideas??

G

You might try this:

Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

G

excellent I got immediate result bu your answer. But same way my Ethernet cable also not getting detected by lap top , and same cable working fine for another lap top. For this Ethernet cable also i need to do some settings?

G

Maybe the problem laptop's ethernet adapter needs a driver. Have a look in Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager and see if the network adapter is present or yellow flagged.