BSOD from overclocking?

bradderzd1994

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I just built my new system today and have been playing around with it..

I have a i5 3570k and a z77 asrock extreme 4.

I want to OC but i dont understand this voltage stuff? I can select how high i cant the OC,

I just set the OC to 4.5 and voltage to 1.0 and i got a bsod? Is this normal and would this have caused any damage.. what should i set the voltage to? Or shall i leave it on auto

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
As I don't own an i5-3570k I don't want to say much more than this: Yes, incorrect settings on an OC can cause a BSOD, I've had it happen plenty of times....just not with that model.

1.0 seems fairly low.

I would set it to stock and check the voltage under load with either the motherboard software or hwmonitor. Then start at the stock voltage. very small steps up to stabilize if needed.

I do not think you caused any damage. The cpu simply made an error because of a lack of voltage.

As the manufacturing process gets smaller, less voltage is needed and high voltage become harder on the chip. Take your overclocking slow.

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
1 volt seems very low, I'm not surprised that you got a BSOD.

You should be very careful when changing the voltage! Seriously you clearly don't know what your doing. Go back to the books and learn before you break your CPU.

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
if u don't know the voltages, I would keep them set to auto. I believe that your ASRock should have preset OC profiles. look for them and select one, watch temps though. Mine has those profiles.

you may want to read one of the OC manuals in the OC forum here. it's not all that tough to OC.

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

Seriously! STOP and learn... You can't just set it to 4.5 ghz and expect it to work. You need to increase it gradually.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
You're gonna incur more BSOD's sooner or later on the stock cooler.

Please read up on things before you just start doing them.... just because it's possible on YouTube doesn't mean you can tackle it head-on and just expect it to work.

LLC prevents voltage drop at load(So lets say you set 1.25 and at load it drops to 1.18-1.2), if you are stable, do not mess with it.

I use 75% for my board because it takes all the v-drop out, but If you are stable with the drop, don't mess with it.

It is highly recommended you stay at stock until the new cooler is on(70 is not going to do any harm, but still...cooler = better).