HD5850 "Display driver stopped responding"

cptziggy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Hi, and excuse me if my english is abit scruppy.

I have a problem with my ATI card that I just can't how to fix. I've googled for God knows how many hours without results that works for me. The problem is whenever Im gaming (it's the only way the GPU gets proper load) the screen freezes, turns black and usually exits the game. I get the message that "Display driver has stopped working and has been succsessfully recovered."
It's kinda annoying because I can't play a single game for more than 10-30 minutes without problems or crashing.

My OS is Windows 7 x64.

ASUS P7P55D
Intel i5
Asus HD5850
Corsair XMS3 CL9 2x2 GB
Chieftec Super Series 650W

I've tried:
-Setting the clockspeed on my GPU 20mhz down
-Using only one memorybrick
-Different catalyst drivers from 9.something to 10.1
-Drivercleanup
-Formating

None of these has been giving me any results at all.. Please help me.

Stiffex

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
You probably have an Iffy card so the first thing i wud do is get it RMA`d ASAP, if it does the same thing on all games then its broke.

Can you hear the fan ? Its possible that its overheating in which case send it back.

cptziggy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I may add that this problem does not occur in Windows XP, but it does happen in Windows 7 x32.. (If I remember correctly).

cptziggy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Sorry for a little tripplepost here, but I've spend all day trying different drivers using driversweeper everytime.. 9.12, 10.1, 9.9 etc they all give the same problem.

Should I try set another different clock on the card? The default is 725 mhz, I've only tried with 700mhz.. Anything?

cptziggy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I dont know about the power supply but it's a Chieftec Super Series 650w. I dont think it's suppose to have any problems giving enough power.

Mousemonkey: I dont think that article is about my problem. However I've had other problems than this. In Windows XP it freezes with stripes on the screen and the sound hanging up aswell. But that's on COD MW2, so you can't really excpect anything better.

I've had experienced some wierd behavior in windows, some minor texture faults etc.

So you haven't had any stripes and no problems in Windows, OK.

cptziggy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Yes, I've had some problem with stripes in Windows XP, but only with COD MW2, I've concluded by doing a lot of googling that it had nothing to do with the HW, but COD MW2 itself. Many with the similar problem had other hardware than me.

The weird behavior in windows has been after a "Display driver has stopped responding message." That's the main problem, the screen turns black and exits from games. Which makes it impossible to play any game for more then 1-30 minutes.

I either haven't got to that bit yet or I'm not one of the 'many'.

cptziggy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I guess not.. It's a known problem, but I havent had tat problem in 7, atleast not more than a couple of times.

I've tried so many different OSes now that Im getting all mixed up.

G

Is that error coming with Windows XP also? I have the same problem..

cptziggy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I think I'll found the problem.. I checked BIOS again, and saw that the CPU ratio settings were set to 17, it's suppose to be on auto. It may have caused my problems.

cptziggy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Nothing worked so I sent the card back to the dealership, they couldnt find anything wrong with the card. Tried to replace the PSU which I had minor problems with in the beginning, didnt help anything at all.

beauchee

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
EVEN WORST !!! i just bought a brand new computer for me and a brand new computer for my wife... both are the same and brand new with brand new versions of windows7 64 bit...system has follows:
I5-750
smilidon case
rosewill 850W
Patriot ddr3 memory (8gb)
WD 500gig HD
MSI P55-GD55 mobo
ATI 5850 HIS

Her's is working flawlessly and mine is getting the same message has you all are : Display driver stopped responding and has recovered !!!
Lost about 10 hours on the phone with microsoft and ATI try lots of things ! from changing drivers to putting less ram to changing the number and or size of monitors to switching cables to even switching part by part from one computer to another (remember that i have 2 computers that are the same and brand new)...after all the swapping arround her computer is still working perfectly and my is still getting the message in or out of game while or not browsing !!!
To make matter worst this ain't i repeat ain't just a ATI issue !!! my friend has GTX280 and has the same thing !
Both Microsoft and ATI refuse to take responsibily for anything and are both saying it might be hardware but they don't know what !!! but since i got 2 pieces of everything they are just lost and don't have an answer !!! i'll keep calling until i get a good answer that we can all use !!! not some sort of ghost solution !!! i am so piss right now !!!

I love logic but can't find any here !!! i'll redo a fresh install on windows 7 (also brand new out of the box) see if the ghost issues goes away...if anyone has a solution beside RMA the entire thing and reordering please email me at EMAIL REMOVED BY MODERATOR TY !! and good luck !

beauchee

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I tried to just switch hard drive from one machine to the other and no issues at all...witch means this ain't a driver or windows and or software issue...dam it this means it's probably hardware...witch doesnt make since i did a swap of every piece...going at it again for switching one piece after another starting with the mobo then psu...this is time consuming for one driver issue...

beauchee

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
some one shoot me !! i didn't solve the issue the way i wanted even do it is...i just deassembled the two machine entirely, switched the mobo from one to the other then reassembled then both fresh install of windows and redid all the updates including the video drivers. Both machine are now working flawlessly and have been for many hours without any sign of driver issues, nor black nor blue screen...
So it wasn't hardware after all, it was software for sure but i'll never know what.
Microsoft needs to talk to nvidia and ati to double check this ghostly conflict...
Good luck to anyone who has this issue.
I suggess you do the same and start fresh (with the same components) and fresh install of windows. and if you have the money go with mac !!!

beauchee

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
really someone shoot me ! the issue came back like 2 weeks after for no reason...and my friend with a gtx280 who hasn't change anything in is rig doesn't get it anymore...what kind of sick joke is amd/nvidia/microsoft are they playing on us ! If anyone has a permanent solution for the display driver stopped responding issue please let me know !!!