Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can anyone recommend me a cheap dual socket build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 5, 2010 7:54:42 PM

i might be building another computer

i want to experiment with a dual socket but keep it cheap

the motherboard should be at least under $180 the processor i will use one and then in the future throw another one in


i was looking at dual socket 1366 but they are really expensive

so im leaning towards socket f(1207) and the opterons maybe start with a shanghai and then move to istanbul chip


i did find an asus l1n64 ws which supports sli and uses the amd athlon fx chips but the bios can be updated to use barcelona quad cores.

another thing i would like is dual pci express x16 slots and an nforce chip so i can do sli, an amd chipset and crossfire is good too
February 5, 2010 8:06:59 PM

1. WHY do you need a 2P board/set up?

2. 2P boards are expensive. You are also forced to use the server CPUs which are also expensive.

3. A current gen, i7 could probably beat an old 2P Xeon/Opty build.

4. Unless you know what your doing (ie so you know what PSU you plan to use? what about case?) I don't recommend you go 2P.
February 5, 2010 8:22:51 PM

How cheap are you looking to go? If you're going cheap, the best bet is to go single, more powerful CPU, you'll get better overclocking features and such, plus, the modern multicore processor is pretty quick. AMD tends to have multiprocessor solutions cheaper than Intel, however, last I checked, often you're stuck with special RAM which also costs a premium. The processors for multicore often come at a premium. If you just want to dabble with the multiprocessor environments, your best bet is to go EBay, and go old. Old school single core/dual core Opterons are pretty inexpensive, I'm sure you can find old Xeon solutions in the same price area.
Related resources
February 5, 2010 8:25:03 PM

+1 to Shadow's post.

Right now, the money spent trying to build a duel processor computer would be much better spent on a single socket LGA1366 build. (And, when Intel releases the 6 core i7 CPU, buy an i7 920... at a probable reduced price.)
February 5, 2010 9:04:09 PM

Quote:
however, last I checked, often you're stuck with special RAM which also costs a premium. The processors for multicore often come at a premium.

Yup. FB/ECC RAM cost quite a lot.

Quote:
Old school single core/dual core Opterons are pretty inexpensive, I'm sure you can find old Xeon solutions in the same price area.

True, but a current i5/i7/X2/X3/X4 would probably offer you 2x the performance for ~ the same amount of money.
February 6, 2010 10:35:45 AM

I'd like to also add that there isn't any experience to be had by using a 2 socket system. They behave just like the single socket systems. It used to be that was the only way to get lots of power in a single frame, but with multi core CPUs thats no longer the case.
April 21, 2013 12:59:11 PM

cowtipper666 said:
i might be building another computer

i want to experiment with a dual socket but keep it cheap

the motherboard should be at least under $180 the processor i will use one and then in the future throw another one in


i was looking at dual socket 1366 but they are really expensive

so im leaning towards socket f(1207) and the opterons maybe start with a shanghai and then move to istanbul chip


i did find an asus l1n64 ws which supports sli and uses the amd athlon fx chips but the bios can be updated to use barcelona quad cores.

another thing i would like is dual pci express x16 slots and an nforce chip so i can do sli, an amd chipset and crossfire is good too


April 21, 2013 1:02:24 PM

cowtipper666 said:
i might be building another computer

i want to experiment with a dual socket but keep it cheap

the motherboard should be at least under $180 the processor i will use one and then in the future throw another one in


i was looking at dual socket 1366 but they are really expensive

so im leaning towards socket f(1207) and the opterons maybe start with a shanghai and then move to istanbul chip


i did find an asus l1n64 ws which supports sli and uses the amd athlon fx chips but the bios can be updated to use barcelona quad cores.

another thing i would like is dual pci express x16 slots and an nforce chip so i can do sli, an amd chipset and crossfire is good too


!