Thief Gold: What is the ideal CPU Speed?

Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

I just reinstalled Thief Gold (under winxp) on a fast athlon system with a
9700pro. The guards and people move too fast. Clearly there is a speed
governing problem of some sort.

On my system I can change the cpu speed from anywhere between 500mhz and
2.3ghz; What is the sweetspot for playing Thief Gold for smooth framerate
(1024x768) but no 'quickstepping' guards ? Any tips appreciated!

rms
8 answers Last reply
More about thief gold ideal speed
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Fri, 07 May 2004 02:15:44 GMT, "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote:

    >I just reinstalled Thief Gold (under winxp) on a fast athlon system with a
    >9700pro. The guards and people move too fast. Clearly there is a speed
    >governing problem of some sort.
    >
    >On my system I can change the cpu speed from anywhere between 500mhz and
    >2.3ghz; What is the sweetspot for playing Thief Gold for smooth framerate
    >(1024x768) but no 'quickstepping' guards ? Any tips appreciated!
    >
    >rms
    >

    Have you turned on the "Vertical Sync" in your graphics card settings?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > Have you turned on the "Vertical Sync" in your graphics card settings?

    I think that fixed it, thx!

    rms
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    rms wrote:

    > I just reinstalled Thief Gold (under winxp) on a fast athlon system with a
    > 9700pro. The guards and people move too fast. Clearly there is a speed
    > governing problem of some sort.
    >
    > On my system I can change the cpu speed from anywhere between 500mhz and
    > 2.3ghz; What is the sweetspot for playing Thief Gold for smooth framerate
    > (1024x768) but no 'quickstepping' guards ? Any tips appreciated!
    >
    > rms

    Hey, that sounds a lot like the system I built in February: Athlon XP
    3200, Radeon 9700 Pro.

    I went through an OS fandango in the first couple of weeks, partly
    because Windows XP (either flavor) didn't seem to want to install, and
    partly because Win 2k didn't want to run certain older games.
    Eventually I got the bugs worked out and XP Pro installed. Some older
    games - Mechwarrior 3 in particular - still don't work right.

    Which R9700Pro did you get? I went with the Powercolor edition, which
    was the only one Newegg was selling at the time. I simply couldn't
    stomach $400+ for a Radeon 9800 Pro, and I was mostly concerned with
    running older games that made my extremely underpowered (Duron with no
    3D hardware) notebook choke. Never had 3D card before - quite amazing!

    What's frustrating is that a few older titles (again, MW3) simply don't
    work, even though I'm running basically the same OS. Maybe I'll try
    slowing down the CPU.

    Objekt
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > Which R9700Pro did you get?

    Sapphire. It was $320 when I bought last year. I put a 1U cpu heatsink
    on it and it oc's to stock 9800pro levels.

    > What's frustrating is that a few older titles (again, MW3)

    Dunno about this, XP does have joystick/controller issues. Do some
    googling on that title, or ask on fan forums. Perhaps Dosbox (I just
    looked, it doesn't) or one of the other emulator progs will help.

    Anyway for ThiefGold I used "f:\setup.exe -lgntforce" to install it, and
    enabled vsync. Everything works great!

    rms
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    > > Sapphire. It was $320 when I bought last year. I put a 1U cpu
    heatsink
    > > on it and it oc's to stock 9800pro levels.
    >
    > You can OC those? My Powercolor version came with a heatsink and fan on
    > it. I didn't know they were making them without - I thought the GPU
    > would fry itself without a heatsink.

    :) I took off the stock heatsink & replaced it with this one
    http://www.directron.com/directron/dc1206bmr.html
    If I was doing it now I'd use a VGA Silencer
    http://store.yahoo.com/svcompucycle/vgaandbga.html

    I don't think it's worth doing now tho, just sell your 9700p and get a
    X800 :)

    rms
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    "Objekt" <t37student@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:E6Mmc.94105$G_.74196@nwrddc02.gnilink.net...
    >
    > What's frustrating is that a few older titles (again, MW3) simply don't
    > work, even though I'm running basically the same OS. Maybe I'll try
    > slowing down the CPU.
    >
    > Objekt
    >

    http://www.ntcompatible.com/compatibility.html has a fairly updatet list of
    what games and programs works on XP and who dont. Often you find the
    solution to how to get some older games to work if they don't straight out
    of the box.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    McEve wrote:

    > "Objekt" <t37student@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > news:E6Mmc.94105$G_.74196@nwrddc02.gnilink.net...
    >
    >>What's frustrating is that a few older titles (again, MW3) simply don't
    >>work, even though I'm running basically the same OS. Maybe I'll try
    >>slowing down the CPU.
    >>
    >>Objekt
    >>
    >
    >
    > http://www.ntcompatible.com/compatibility.html has a fairly updatet list of
    > what games and programs works on XP and who dont. Often you find the
    > solution to how to get some older games to work if they don't straight out
    > of the box.
    >
    >
    Unfortunately that wasn't enlightening; I have already tried running MW3
    with Win95 compatibility mode, to no avail. Looks like I have to write
    that one off.

    However, I did stumble across a port of Duke Nukem 3D for Windows. Woohoo!

    Been a LONG time since I played that.

    Objekt
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.thief-dark-project (More info?)

    On Sat, 08 May 2004 18:45:24 GMT, Objekt <t37student@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >McEve wrote:
    >
    >> "Objekt" <t37student@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> news:E6Mmc.94105$G_.74196@nwrddc02.gnilink.net...
    >>
    >>>What's frustrating is that a few older titles (again, MW3) simply don't
    >>>work, even though I'm running basically the same OS. Maybe I'll try
    >>>slowing down the CPU.
    >>>
    >>>Objekt
    >>>
    >>
    >>
    >> http://www.ntcompatible.com/compatibility.html has a fairly updatet list of
    >> what games and programs works on XP and who dont. Often you find the
    >> solution to how to get some older games to work if they don't straight out
    >> of the box.
    >>
    >>
    >Unfortunately that wasn't enlightening; I have already tried running MW3
    >with Win95 compatibility mode, to no avail. Looks like I have to write
    >that one off.
    >
    >However, I did stumble across a port of Duke Nukem 3D for Windows. Woohoo!
    >
    >Been a LONG time since I played that.

    Maybe, in fifty years or so, you'll get to play Duke Nukem 4Ever

    --
    ______________________________________________

    What's up Chuck?


    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ask a new question

Read More

Games CPUs Video Games