Esikhoob

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Hello to all
For WindowsServer 2003 Standard Edition , Is there any especial tweek or setting for speed up File Sharing ??
I create a Shared Folder in WindowsServer 2003 for Hosting files that is Used by other WinXp/2000 clients in this network using WORKGROUP.

thank you very much.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
how fast/slow is your current filesharing speed that you want to speed it up more?

What kind of speed are you expecting? What kind of media is your file share on?

Esikhoob

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
I want to use server for Putting FoxPro DBF Database files on it.
If you don`t know what is FoxPro database files looks like I had to say that it`s like MS Access.

My file sharing is on for example: D:\programs\ with 100Mbps Cable LAN.

Esikhoob

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
SQL 2008 Express needs that we leave our Application and recreate all that again.

I don`t understand what do you mean by "low access DB."?

Kewlx25

Distinguished

I've never seen a FoxPro DB getting used for any "heavy" work loads. Most DB are under 10MB.. at least ones that I've ran into.

you're not gonna see a FoxPro DB with a 50GB file size, that's for sure.

stevegaron

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

What tranfer rates are you getting now? What have you checked already to determine bottlenecking? How fast are the disks that this data sits on?

Esikhoob

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
I dont know how to calculate the tranfer rates for Foxpro while accessing the DBF files , but I think it is like copying a File to that shared folder that`s about 1-2 MB/s.

For bottlenecking: I just see the Task Manager Networking monitor. When Client write a series of record to the server , I see sharp Spikes in network monitor. it doesn't come upper than 10% of maximum link speed (100-10Mbps). this percentage is also true for Time consuming operations (like reports) , the constant line in Network Monitor (Network utilization) again doesn`t goes upper than 10% of maximum link speed .
I am not Network administrator however I am responsible for the setting up the server`s Windows (I am not a professional).
I don`t have any special issue related to setting up the server, but I wanted to ask for if there is an easy way to customize server for this special type of file sharing.