Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New to overclocking, help!

Last response: in Overclocking
October 24, 2012 12:05:50 AM

Hey guys, I have an Intel i5-3550 CPU, a HIS IceQ 7870 GPU, and an MSI Z77A-G45 ATX MoBo.

I know I don't have a "K" CPU, but am I entirely hopeless in overclocking?

If this is of any help, I have a core clock of 1000MHz.

Thanks!

More about : overclocking

a b U Graphics card
a c 110 K Overclocking
a c 283 à CPUs
October 24, 2012 12:17:25 AM

What are you wanting to overclock? The CPU, the GPU, or both?

The 1Ghz number is the GPU, so that's why I ask.

In any case, you're not hopeless in either situation.

If you want to overclock the GPU only, that's not dependent on the CPU being overclockable or not.

If you want to overclock the CPU, you can't go far with a non-K CPU, but you can get a small overclock by raising the Turbo multipliers by 4 each. That will give you 4.1 with one core in use and a max of 3.8 with all 4 in use. No need to touch the voltage or anything else when you do that.
m
l
October 24, 2012 12:28:03 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
What are you wanting to overclock? The CPU, the GPU, or both?

The 1Ghz number is the GPU, so that's why I ask.

In any case, you're not hopeless in either situation.

If you want to overclock the GPU only, that's not dependent on the CPU being overclockable or not.

If you want to overclock the CPU, you can't go far with a non-K CPU, but you can get a small overclock by raising the Turbo multipliers by 4 each. That will give you 4.1 with one core in use and a max of 3.8 with all 4 in use. No need to touch the voltage or anything else when you do that.

So, theres 2 different types of overclocks? What does each do? Sorry, I'm very new to this.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a c 110 K Overclocking
a c 283 à CPUs
October 24, 2012 12:35:54 AM

_s0ap said:
So, theres 2 different types of overclocks? What does each do? Sorry, I'm very new to this.

Yep. You can overclock the CPU, the GPU, or both at the same time, if you want (I do).

Overclocking the CPU helps overall system performance and gaming, while overclocking the GPU only helps in gaming.

Both together can help gaming performance quite a bit, although I'll say that I don't think you, specifically, even need to overclock anything. You should be golden with what you have.

The 3550 is more than powerful enough to keep up with the 7870 (a 3550 can keep up with any GPU) and the 7870 should be fast enough at its stock speed to play most any game you want with good FPS.
October 24, 2012 12:55:31 AM

Best answer selected by _s0ap.
m
l
!