Your question

Changing out Motherboard and keep your Operating System

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Intel
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
September 19, 2012 12:05:09 PM

Well I was looking for help on my new system, I plan on using Intel MB, DG43GT, under 50 dollars on ebay it will use something like 84 different CPU's and plenty of info on Intel site as to compatibility for them, http://processormatch.intel.com/CompDB/SearchResult.asp...

I have just purchased 4 of these boards to upgrade my 2 work systems, I purchased 3 CPU's off ebay range for each 30-75 ea. US dollars, I am working around the game Diablo III, for gaming system, https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-sys...
as for my system to play the game will us a Q6600 2.4, http://www.ebay.com/itm/130758277678?ssPageName=STRK:ME...
They say it more about the GPU in the video card PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot, Video is going to run 130 bucks.
THEN BE SURE TO HAVE A GOOD POWER SUPPLY 700 watt - 1000

The help I need is not so much with gaming system,, I put two of these boards in systems running Vista OS 32 bit, It did a fine job of doing a repair install and I had the Intel driver disk, also Intel site has a utility to check your system for all updated drivers from them, its using the same MB in my work and video editing systems.. I still run Windows XP on them so as to run the older editing software I use,, This is what I am inquiring about to someone out there?

HOW TO SWAP OUT MY OTHER 2 WINDOW XP PRO SP 3, AND NOT HAVE TO DO A COMPLETE RE-INSTALL OF WINDOS AND PROGRAMS???
Hope to here back for some people,, Thanks,, John & Big Girl..

More about : changing motherboard operating system

September 19, 2012 1:23:44 PM

When you change motherboards, unless you swap in the exact same make/model motherboard, you will have to do a repair install, you can not avoid this. If the current systems are running OEM versions of Windows then you will also have to purchase new copies of the OS as the OEM license is permanently tied to the first motherboard it is installed on.
m
l
September 19, 2012 4:24:51 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
When you change motherboards, unless you swap in the exact same make/model motherboard, you will have to do a repair install, you can not avoid this. If the current systems are running OEM versions of Windows then you will also have to purchase new copies of the OS as the OEM license is permanently tied to the first motherboard it is installed on.

Well I have already swapped out 2 motherboards that the HD had Vista 32 bit on it.. it run a repair for the drivers, they were both HP towers and all worked out just fine, I know the HP's had standard OEM on it, what it will do is prompt you to verify your windows key which I did by phone, it gave all the info to do so,, I am looking into making a slipstream windows XP disk for now just in case I have to re-install windows with the MB I mentioned, BUT wish to try swapping a MB where XP SP3 is installed on HD,, with all my programs I use... hope someone else has some ideas.. I will update anyone replying to this post, Thanks for your input..
m
l
!