Need help on a build (first time)

timgym

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
My parents need a new computer and I'm going to do my first build for them as im studying for an A+ cert i thought it would be a good opportunity. Its would be rarely used intensively and im probably looking to have as "green" a computer as possible to save them money but Microcenter has Athlon II x4 630, phenom II x3 720, and phenom II x2 555 all priced close enough together. Im not sure on if i should get the higher GHz dual core at 80W or go for the triple or quad cores at 95W solely because they have more cores and are comparable in price?

Solution
100 watts at 20 hours per week works out to be about a dollar per month. Green is good for its own sake but it's not really gonna amount to a whole lotta dough.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Would your parents be able to tell the difference between 2 and 4 cores?

For a web surfing / typewriting PC id go nothing more than an Athlon II X2/x3. Put saved money into a cleaner PSU, or maybe a SSD in place of a regular HD.

timgym

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
No they would not be able to tell the difference. Im only on the fence because the dual core, triple core, quad cores differ in price by $15! The triple and quad core are both $100 but do require more power and have lower speeds(2.8GH instead of 3.2GH). Looking to save as much money as possible both with the build itself and the longterm power usage. So, because they would rarely utilize the quad cores rated at 2.8 wouldnt it make more sense to get the dual core at 3.2GHz?

timgym

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010

Wow I didnt know that was the case thanx for the info. I thought it might be more substantial than that but that changes things a bit. ill probably go with the quad core then if its so closely priced to the dual core and power usage is not as substantial. Thanks again.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
The athlon ii duals should be significantly cheaper than $100.

Between the ones you had picked out i'd take the quad core athlon. Simply because your parents would be more likely to notice a difference in multi-tasking rather than something benefiting more from faster cores.

TRENDING THREADS