Solved

Newbie parting up a gaming pc

I have a few parts that I bought from a friend on the cheap. I am looking for advice about the parts I've selected below to complete the build. I've replaced many parts in pc, but never done a total build. My budget is next to nothing. Essentially, I'm hoping to get advice on component capatibility and whether this system will run most modern games: MW2, LFD2, Crysis. I would welcome any comments and suggestions. Thanks in advance. Hope i did my links right ;)

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week

BUDGET RANGE: $300 After Rebates for remaining parts needed

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, surfing the internet

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, CPU, CPU cooler, MoBo, RAM, case

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: tigerdirect.com, newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: see what I have below

OVERCLOCKING: NO

CROSSFIRE: NO

MONITOR RESOLUTION: will be upgrading at some point

OK, these are the parts I have so far:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

Msi P35 Neo 2 Motherboard

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000

ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm 2-ball UFO Bearing / Transparent CPU Cooler

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Parts I'm considering buying:
Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 500GB, 7200rpm, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM

Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Lifetime Warranty

EVGA GeForce 9500 GT Video Card - 1GB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Support, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, VGA Support

LG GH22NP20 DVDRW Drive - DVD+R 22X, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6X, DVD-RAM12X, CD-R 48X, CD-RW 32X, IDE (OEM)
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about newbie parting gaming
  1. Best answer
    Your going to want a better video card for the games you described. The 9500 GT is weak card, your going to want something more powerful for the games you listed. I realize your on a tight budget and there's not much you can do to shave some money off of the other parts, but I think it would be worth it save up a bit more and get at least a 9800GT or 4850.

Use this a guide for which video cards you want to look into:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card,2521-2.html
  2. well the 9500gt can play l4d and mw2 my friend has that card. not sure about crysis.
  3. Consider getting either a Seagate 7200.12 500 GB drive for the same price as the WD or this Samsung Spinpoint F3 for $50. They use 500 GB platters, which means that they're faster than the Western Digital drive you are looking at.
  4. thx for your replies...sounds about right...better gpu and hd.
  5. Best answer selected by xxxJCxxx.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product