Need Opinions On Cpu for overclock (5ghz)

hi everyone, brand new here first post

Ive been looking around and cant seem to find any solid answers on this, im upgrading my build from an old phenom II to something intel, preferably 1155 as im looking at the ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard. but if the 2011 socket goes better for the overclocks willing to spend some extra coin.

im stuck at between a sandy bridge or ivy, reason being as im watercooling this build, 3X120 and a 2X120 rad for just cpu and graphics, i know overkill but i want it to be quiet as possible, so yes i do have the lower fip rads.

with this being said i dont think the ivy temperatures everyone has would be such a massive problem? most of the posts i have scene are on air, any suggestions are much appreciated, im not too cluey on the newer hardware! thanks
25 answers Last reply
More about need opinions overclock 5ghz
  1. Depends on what your uses are....
  2. anthony152152 said:
    hi everyone, brand new here first post

Ive been looking around and cant seem to find any solid answers on this, im upgrading my build from an old phenom II to something intel, preferably 1155 as im looking at the ASRock Z77 OC Formula Motherboard. but if the 2011 socket goes better for the overclocks willing to spend some extra coin.

im stuck at between a sandy bridge or ivy, reason being as im watercooling this build, 3X120 and a 2X120 rad for just cpu and graphics, i know overkill but i want it to be quiet as possible, so yes i do have the lower fip rads.

with this being said i dont think the ivy temperatures everyone has would be such a massive problem? most of the posts i have scene are on air, any suggestions are much appreciated, im not too cluey on the newer hardware! thanks

the problem with the ivys is not the cpu its the TIM they put between the cpu and the heatspreader, which was cheap and nasty, but more than capable for stock clocks of course, opposed to say sandys where things were done properly so ya watercooling will help a bit but, its how well that TIM moves the heat from the cpu to the heatspreader (be like putting toothpaste between your waterblock and the cpu, yeah it will conduct heat but not as well as ac5, lol). so in saying that, if your system is for gaming dont go 2011 unless you have more money than u know what to do with, period. mhz speed isnt everything, you get a bulldozer to do your 5 ghz with your watercooling system but you would be mad to unless you had shares in the local power station besides a 4ghz intel will probably keep up anyways. you will get a 2500k to 5ghz if your lucky but a 3570k ivy will go just as quick at like 4.7~4.8 which is about as fast as you get the ivy with out resetting the heatspreader or going more exotic personally, for gaming i would get a 3570k and settle for a few hundred less mhz and unless your spending 2 grand on gpu's alone you will be gpu bottlenecked anyways!
  3. if you are into extreme overclocking, sandy is your cpu. it can overclock higher than ivy, so much so that it overcomes the slight ipc deficiency. in the end, if you are willing to overclock the hell out of both ivy and sandy, sandy will end up the better cpu. simply because it will do 5ghz cooler than ivy does 4.5ghz.
  4. jasont78 said:
    the problem with the ivys is not the cpu its the TIM they put between the cpu and the heatspreader, which was cheap and nasty, but more than capable for stock clocks of course, opposed to say sandys where things were done properly so ya watercooling will help a bit but, its how well that TIM moves the heat from the cpu to the heatspreader (be like putting toothpaste between your waterblock and the cpu, yeah it will conduct heat but not as well as ac5, lol). so in saying that, if your system is for gaming dont go 2011 unless you have more money than u know what to do with, period. mhz speed isnt everything, you get a bulldozer to do your 5 ghz with your watercooling system but you would be mad to unless you had shares in the local power station besides a 4ghz intel will probably keep up anyways. you will get a 2500k to 5ghz if your lucky but a 3570k ivy will go just as quick at like 4.7~4.8 which is about as fast as you get the ivy with out resetting the heatspreader or going more exotic personally, for gaming i would get a 3570k and settle for a few hundred less mhz and unless your spending 2 grand on gpu's alone you will be gpu bottlenecked anyways!

i was going to get pilediver but its even more disappointing then bulldozer for me so switching, yeah my pc is for gaming but i do do video rendering, not often but not every day. a 3570? much difference between the 3770? im going with an oclocked 7970, mabye crossfire not too sure yet if that helps anything!
  5. neon neophyte said:
    if you are into extreme overclocking, sandy is your cpu. it can overclock higher than ivy, so much so that it overcomes the slight ipc deficiency. in the end, if you are willing to overclock the hell out of both ivy and sandy, sandy will end up the better cpu. simply because it will do 5ghz cooler than ivy does 4.5ghz.

so something like a 2600-2700 sandy?
  6. even a 2500k, depends if you will be using the hyperthreading or not

edit: make sure it is K series. those are the only ones that overclock
  7. neon neophyte said:
    even a 2500k, depends if you will be using the hyperthreading or not

edit: make sure it is K series. those are the only ones that overclock

im aware of the K series thingy but thanks! im lead to believe hyperthreading somewhat increases performance? if not 2500K might be the choice
  8. anthony152152 said:
    so something like a 2600-2700 sandy?

yeah the sandy will go faster mhz but ivy wont be far off the mark in terms of outright speed and has your pci-e 3.0 and a few other bits and pieces as well so unless your going for bragging rights and you do some video rendering get the 3770k
  9. ivy wont be far behind, but it will be behind. it will also be hotter. frankly, sandybridge is a proven work horse. it is known to handle the high overclocks and not die. ivybridge has still to prove itself able to handle its heat. not to mention it is most likely more prone to magnetic migration.
  10. jasont78 said:
    yeah the sandy will go faster mhz but ivy wont be far off the mark in terms of outright speed and has your pci-e 3.0 and a few other bits and pieces as well so unless your going for bragging rights and you do some video rendering get the 3770k

i was thinking ivy as it has the architectural improvements, just looking somthing for a good solid overclock, 5ghz would be nice but ill sacrifice that if the 3770K will be better! thanks
  11. neon neophyte said:
    ivy wont be far behind, but it will be behind. it will also be hotter. frankly, sandybridge is a proven work horse. it is known to handle the high overclocks and not die. ivybridge has still to prove itself able to handle its heat. not to mention it is most likely more prone to magnetic migration.

just curious are you running your 2500K on air or water @ 4.9? because temps i dont think should be a huge problem with the massive overkill im going for with my custom watercooling
  12. air. infact because the asock boards have holes for different sockets heatsinks. im using the old heatsink off my socket 775 rig. was really a bonus

i can push my sandy up to 5.1ghz, but at that point the heat and volts become worrisome
  13. anthony152152 said:
    i was thinking ivy as it has the architectural improvements, just looking somthing for a good solid overclock, 5ghz would be nice but ill sacrifice that if the 3770K will be better! thanks

the extra mhz may help a little with your rendering but wont help at all gaming its just not needed i dont bother taking my 2500k over 4ghz its just not needed, i cant tell the difference in games with it at stock 3.3 and 4ghz, ocassionally i bump it to 4.5 (im only using a 212 hsf) for video encoding and it may save a few minutes.

i wont knock the sandys at all i have one but if you can get new gen or old gen for the same money its no brainer
  14. i wouldnt trade my sandy for an ivy =P
  15. neon neophyte said:
    i wouldnt trade my sandy for an ivy =P

he could also buy a dud sandy that only does 4.6ghz, on water! too
  16. ive been looking around and ivy has mixed reviews while sandy has solid reviews everywhere, i think it will be sandy for me, tbh the sandy vs ivy is a couple of seconds on rendering and whatnot here and there, not a massive difference i dont think, the price tag though isnt worth it i dont think, even a 2600K is a good decent ammount cheeper than a 3770K
  17. jasont78 said:
    he could also buy a dud sandy that only does 4.6ghz, on water! too

what are the chances of this? i havent heard of too many dud sandy bridge chips
  18. anthony152152 said:
    ive been looking around and ivy has mixed reviews while sandy has solid reviews everywhere, i think it will be sandy for me, tbh the sandy vs ivy is a couple of seconds on rendering and whatnot here and there, not a massive difference i dont think, the price tag though isnt worth it i dont think, even a 2600K is a good decent ammount cheeper than a 3770K

i think alot of that is due to the fact they down a size in manufactoring 22nm which should of made it easier to overclock but because of intels tim they werent, the bar was set really high with sandys. intel has always had the tick tock thing the next one is the tock as was sandy. good luck with whatever you get you will be happy with either over the old phenom
  19. tbh i think how far you can push a sandy is less dependent on the cpu and more dependent on the motherboard. some people only get 4.6 but what you will notice is, pretty much everyone with the same motherboard only gets 4.6
  20. neon neophyte said:
    tbh i think how far you can push a sandy is less dependent on the cpu and more dependent on the motherboard. some people only get 4.6 but what you will notice is, pretty much everyone with the same motherboard only gets 4.6

ohok, i am getting a z77 made for overclocking, gold caps and what not so i should be able to do alright! thanks for the help guys much appreciated !!
  21. anthony152152 said:
    what are the chances of this? i havent heard of too many dud sandy bridge chips

buying any cpu and expecting 4.5ghz+ oc is a gamble im not say it will happen or is likely or anything like that but there is always that possibility. all i trying to say just cos a bunch of people get 5ghz, dont automatically expect your will do the same just cos you have a big arse water cooling setup, some cpu's just dont like to play the game! nuff said
  22. whatever motherboard you are getting i would check out some forums and see what other people were getting with the same cpu
  23. My 2c

If you want to overclock forget about the Asrock board and get yourself an ASUS Z77 ROG board. They are MADE for overclocking and all the world records are set on those boards. Yes they are more expensive, because they are just better end of (Gold caps is just a gimmic to make it look fancy)

As for the CPU, guys above pretty much summed it up. Go SB 2500/2600/2700k with a decent water cooling system and you will crack 5GHz easy.

PS. doesn't help if you NOS and Turbo your car if it is a $1000 clunker :)
  24. when i researched what mobo to get, i ended up with asrock. similarly priced asus boards just were not getting as high an overclock.
  25. im looking at the as rock z77 oc formula still, over the rog boards, simply because of the price the specs look just as good if not better
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking