sam791104

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Hey,
I built this tower months ago and I found the graphic cards are not stable. I'm running NVidia Geforce GTX 260 (core 216) under SLI. At first, I used Windows 7 and I found lots of BSoD problems on nvidia driver, so I switched back to Win Vista, which doesn't really help. Then I tried to find out my GPU temperature, which are around 45~75 degrees Celsius, and I believe its a pretty fair temperature (around 75 degrees when playing Crysis).

I found that disabling SLI and PhysX would solve the problem, yet that makes no point to me because I've already bought the two cards.

I'm thinking if there's some sort of optimized BIOS or driver settings so that I can avoid this problem.

System: Windows Vista 64bit
PSU: Corsair 850Watt
Graphics: EVGA - nvidia GTX 260/216 SLI (no overclocking, runs between 45C~75C)
CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 2.66G + CoolerMaster V8 (runs between 35C~50C)
RAM: Patriot Vipers-1600Mhz 6GB
MoBo: ASUS P6T X58

Please let me know if there's any information that I forget to write on here...

p.s. I've never overclocked anything (the graphic cards were bought under never-overclocked condition)

Thank you very much!

sam791104

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Yes I did enabled SLI, I did use the SLI bridge came with the ASUS mobo, yes the Nvidia Control Panel correctly listed two GTX260 cards, and yes I'm sure because the harddisk was empty before I installed Win 7; and when downgrading to Vista, I formatted the entire partition C and installed a brand new copy of Vista...

BTW, does this have to do with IRQ? When I was checking the control panel, I found the IRQ of both devices are the only elements that differed (one with 24 and another one with 30).

Thanks you very much!

AimlessSerenity

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

AimlessSerenity

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010

Hi Ovrclkr

The reason I had to use the restore disk was because my system would not boot into windows at all and running the repair option after post just raised "Unable to repair the current system) or something like that. As the restore point is created to get over problems like the one I had it just made sense to use it.

I have to admit I didn't use a driver sweeper as I've over installed many Nvidia drivers in the past with no problems. It seems like this time something may have screwed up the system. I see a new driver is out so I'll update my old one but this time remove it first ;)

Thanks

AimlessSerenity (Why look for peace when you're never gonna find it!)

Yea, just make sure that once its time to update the driver or GPU you make sure that there are no leftover (old) display files "drivers" on your hard drive. This way if you do get a BSOD you know it has nothing to do with the driver installation. Also if you do experience any issues with a new driver (after you have swept the drive) then normally this means that you need to uninstall the new driver and rollback to the previous one ;)

I tried yesterday to get SLI GTX 260 working ( X58 , Win7 Ultimate 64 bit ) ended up removing the second card as well.
After that someone on another forum told me he had to go back to driver version 186.18 to make it work on his ( similar ) setup, haven't tried it though.

AimlessSerenity

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
mikejustis wrote :

Did you find a fix to your problem. I talked to EVGA and they said it might be my memory but I passed memtest ok. I am at the point where I took the 2nd 260 out.

Hi Mate,

No I have never found a fix. I used a driver sweeper before installing the lastest drivers but still have the same problem. The option to start SLI has reappeared on my system but if I do then I know the system will crash again at the next boot :( I even flashed the Bios with the lastest from Asus with no luck. I think it might just be a system glitch with my hardware configuration which was over looked by my motherboard manufacturer Asus. When you think of how many different types of hardware there are and the potential setup configurations it difficult to get it right some times.Tough but in twenty years of building custom rigs this is the first time I've a problem like this which I couldn't find a fix for :fou: I know there are probably people out there saying "Well mine is all right" but do you have the same i5 chip, ram, harddrives, network router, sata or ide, windows build etc etc. All these things make a difference believe me.

I suggest you leave your second card in and bridged but don't enable sli. At least it will act as a physX card then. Not much good but better than it gathering dust on a shelf :)

If I ever find a fix I'll drop you a post.

AimlessSerenity (Happiness is something that happens to others)

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008

I had some issues with SLI 480s on a EVGA x58 3-SLI with the newest drivers and found a fix that may work for the 260s. Try rolling back the Realtek LAN drivers (I know weird but it worked). There was an update with those drivers (through windows update) recently that messed with the Nvidia drivers or something. I found it on the EVGA forums and it amazingly worked for me. Anything is worth a try...