Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP home won\'t do system restore.

Tags:
  • Windows XP
  • Command Prompt
  • System Restore
Last response: in Windows XP
September 19, 2012 3:43:39 PM

I have windows xp home.
my windows won't boot, so i went into safe mode with command prompt.
I typed "C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" and windows restore window came up
when i tried to restore to a later date, It freezes

Do any one have a solution to this ?

More about : windows home system restore

September 26, 2012 8:20:20 PM

1. Try the Last Known Good Configuration option from the Safe Mode Options list.

2. Delete the C:\System Volume Information folder... this is where System Restore saves the Restore Points, and if SR gets infected or corrupted, there isn't much you can do to get it working again, so it's best to delete the restore points and start fresh. You can delete the folder from Safe Mode if you know how to use the Command Prompt commands as apparently you do... you can also delete the folder from a Live CD.
If you don't have access to the SVI folder, in Safe Mode or Live CD; go to the System Volume Information folder Properties \ Security \ Add \ Advanced \ Search \ select Administrators \ Accept and Apply the necesary times, or gain access to the folder taking Ownership: Security \ Advanced Options \ Owner \ Select Administrators \ check Replace Owner in subcontainers and objects \ click Apply and Accept the necessary times till you exit the folder's security.

3. Scan your System from a Live CD Antivirus... because it sound to me like your SR is infected

Check the available Live CD antivirus list and download the one most convenient for you. Avast, Avira, Kaspersky, NOD32 would be my first choices, but any one may do the trick.

Windows Antivirus Live CD List.
http://www.livecdlist.com/purpose/windows-antivirus
m
l
!