Upgrading from AM2+ CPU to AM3

btc2008

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Hello,

I have what must be a simple and very basic question, but it's nevertheless one I cannot find an answer for. I have a GA-MA770-UD3 motherboard that currently has a Phenom X4 9950 (AM2+) installed running Windows 7 64-bit. I would like to purchase one of the new AM3 processors (specifically a Phenom II X4 or X6 model).

I looked on Gigabyte's website and saw that the Phenom II X6 1035T is supported. Now, my question, which, again, must be completely basic but I would like to make sure:

Do I update the BIOS before installing the new processor? What would happen if I just installed the new processor without updating the BIOS?

Next, the BIOS versions for my particular motherboard are given as FG, FI, FJ, and FKB; however, when I look through System Information, it lists my BIOS as version F8. Does anyone know what this means? This is what is really confusing me.

Thank you for your help.

Solution
there are 3 different versions of that boardif you have version F8 bios then you have
Socket AM2+ - AMD 770 - GA-MA770-UD3 (rev. 1.0)
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2982#bios
you may or may not need to update your bios to F9G
cpu support list
http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=2982
and yes update the bios first with the cpu you have working now and make a backup of the bios you have now it will give you the option before you start the update
turn on save bios file to harddrive option in your cmos if anything goes wrong it wil try to flash itself with that bios.
after successfull flash go into cmos and set it to bios defualts reboot then go back in too cmos and set it the way...
Hello and welcome to the forums
Yes you have to update the BIOS before installing a new CPU.
As for the BIOS name,well your current BIOS version is F8 and you need something newer(like FG,FI,FJ etc.)They are all different BIOS versions,so if you download the latest BIOS,you'll be fine using a X6 CPU on your motherboard.

Just check the CPU compatibility chart at the manufacturers website.. Check on the CPU you wish to upgrade to.. There will be a BIOS version mentioned which would make the motherboard compatible for that processor.. Rest all Maziar has mentioned precisely so no issues on that.. On an additional note, if you are looking for more performance in gaming then getting a Phenom II X4 would be better over the X6..

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
there are 3 different versions of that boardif you have version F8 bios then you have
Socket AM2+ - AMD 770 - GA-MA770-UD3 (rev. 1.0)
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2982#bios
you may or may not need to update your bios to F9G
cpu support list
http://www.gigabyte.us/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=2982
and yes update the bios first with the cpu you have working now and make a backup of the bios you have now it will give you the option before you start the update
turn on save bios file to harddrive option in your cmos if anything goes wrong it wil try to flash itself with that bios.
after successfull flash go into cmos and set it to bios defualts reboot then go back in too cmos and set it the way you want

Solution

btc2008

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008

Thanks, Marco324. I must have been looking at a different revision, as revision 2.1 use the FG naming system. Thanks for the help.

On an additional note, if you are looking for more performance in gaming then getting a Phenom II X4 would be better over the X6..

Yes, I realized that since I want to use it for gaming, it's probably best to get a Quad with a higher GHz clock per core, as most games won't use six fully, and the clock speeds are lower.

Thanks to all!

marco324

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
your welcome glad ti help 1 more thing if you live near a fry's they have a
good sale on now AMD Phenom II 965BE $129.99 Frys B&M and the six cores have a turbo mode that when needed only
uses 3 or 4 cores at a higher speed might want to look into it i read they overclock better to ?