Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which mobo?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
September 12, 2010 3:07:02 AM

Hello, which mobo do you think I should go with, ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard or the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard? Any pros or cons to either? Thanks.
Will be using G skill ripjaws 4gb DDR3
AMD Phenom II x4 955 black edition
HD 5770
Seagate barracuda 7200.12 750gb
LG 22x DVD
Antec 300 illusion case
Antec earthwatts 650

More about : mobo

a c 117 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
September 12, 2010 3:44:13 AM

ASRock 870 EXTREME3
Pro's - price, xfire x8x8, new tech,lots of featues
Con's- average overclocker,1 yr warranty

Kinda of an unfair comparison the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 has the newer chipset
is more comparable to the ASRock 890 Extreme3 and a better overclocker.
I would compare the 870 Extreme3 with the ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 which is it's competitor..
m
0
l
a c 136 V Motherboard
September 12, 2010 7:26:59 AM

Hello
Between those,i would go wit hthe ASUS one,because of having a better chipset and better OC'ng potential.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 12, 2010 5:45:46 PM

ok now that I realized I didn't ask a fair question, i'll ask the difference between the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 and the ASRock 890GX EXTREME4 AM3 this time. Both are the same price.
m
0
l
a c 136 V Motherboard
September 12, 2010 9:37:40 PM

Both are good,it comes down to the brand your prefer.
m
0
l
September 12, 2010 9:54:49 PM

let's say I want to switch to a micro ATX board, is there any other components I should switch out (from the setup listed above) to compensate for the smaller board? Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? I'm seeing the micro atx boards at a cheaper price, is that only because of the size (less materials)? Thanks again.
m
0
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
September 12, 2010 10:06:12 PM

Corycool said:
ok now that I realized I didn't ask a fair question, i'll ask the difference between the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 and the ASRock 890GX EXTREME4 AM3 this time. Both are the same price.

What are your intended uses?
If you don't plan on crossfiring and will just replace your gpu later on you could buy a 880 board or even a 785.
But to answer your question Asus boards and Gigabyte are higher quality then ASRock and offer 3yr warranties as opposed to 1yr.
The Asus boards are very power efficient and overclock very well.
m
0
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
September 12, 2010 10:16:14 PM

Corycool said:
let's say I want to switch to a micro ATX board, is there any other components I should switch out (from the setup listed above) to compensate for the smaller board? Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? I'm seeing the micro atx boards at a cheaper price, is that only because of the size (less materials)? Thanks again.

Your component choices look very good other then i would switch the 750gb hdd for a 1tb unit.
Generally a micro board has less pci slots then a full sized board.
You could save some money on your mobo if you don't intend on crossfiring.
Where are you from?
m
0
l
September 12, 2010 10:45:14 PM

I am from BC. I asked this because I found a 1gb 460gtx for a bit more so I'd like to possibly offset this price boost with a micro atx board. I don't intend to SLI with this board. I think it will be good enough on its own for at least a couple of years. As well, now with this GPU, can I switch out my psu for a 550w?
m
0
l
a c 117 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
September 12, 2010 11:32:17 PM

Corycool said:
I am from BC. I asked this because I found a 1gb 460gtx for a bit more so I'd like to possibly offset this price boost with a micro atx board. I don't intend to SLI with this board. I think it will be good enough on its own for at least a couple of years. As well, now with this GPU, can I switch out my psu for a 550w?

Now i remember your post i supplied some build suggestions.
Buy a 1tb hdd especially if the difference is less the $10 from the 750gb.
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB -$62.49
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/214535/Seagate/ST3100...
Either one of these boards will be fine.Just get them from the links or Pricematch at NCIX.
Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H AMD880G mATX -$102.86
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/228693/Gigabyte/GA_88...
ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3 -$104.86
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/227530/ASUS/M4A88TD_M...

m
0
l
September 13, 2010 2:03:50 AM

Thanks for the input.
Will the Antec Earthwatts 650 psu have the cord length to reach this Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H micro ATX mobo with the psu being mounted on the bottom?
m
0
l
September 13, 2010 2:33:52 AM

I think I'm going with the ASUS M4A88T-M micro atx board instead. With the 460gtx, i won't need to SLI anything and it's cheaper and the only difference between that and the Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H as far as I can tell is no USB 3.0. please correct me if i'm wrong but the price is right and solid 5 egg reviews.
m
0
l
a c 136 V Motherboard
September 13, 2010 9:09:21 AM

Yes that ASUS looks a good micro ATX board.
However,never judge a product only by newegg user reviews,because most of the time they are incorrect.
m
0
l
!