Http://www tomshardware com/forum/242892-44-compaq-presario-f700-booting

bill224

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Hello,anyone can help me to verify the problem is ? I bought Compaq Presario F700 2years 4 months ago.
2 weeks ago when I was reading my email suddenly the screen black and since then whenever I pressed power button, I got on/off, on/off..., screen is totally black. I tried plug external monitor, RAM/HD reseated, but didn't change anything. I finally did diassembe job and found my fan quite clean only one hair and very minor dust in it. I adjust an improper connect original (beside the phone jack#2). I knew the RAM, HDD, power supply, battery, FAN are all OK. could it motherboard or GPU cause it? After I assembled the broken one the only differece I got except 3 green lights, SD-MS light on/off (blue colour), the WI-FI light on /off (blue but immediately turn orange colour,)the DVD light on/off (yellow colour).
I didn't see any thermal grease or thermal compound(silver stuff) sourand fan there. before it broken the touch pad was very hot comparing HP L2000 that my oldest one and thank God it still working for over 6 years.

bill224

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
except 3 green lights, SD-MS light on/off (blue colour), ...
---3 green lights is before I disassembled whenever I pressed power button, the power button, power light and touch pad light are blue and on/off, on/off forever, I hardly could shut down.

I knew the RAM, HDD, power supply, battery, FAN are all OK
--we bought expansion RAM so we have 3 RAM cards, I did test each RAM card in different MEM slot.
I bought a converter to make internal HD as external USB HD and my husband new notebook HP DV7 could access it. the old L2000 can't accept the broken one HD formatted as 2 partinions.
I swictched the broken one power supply to my L2000 and it works.
As battery I could see whenever I took it out and put it back and press the power button, the battery light would on (green) and a little while light off (I assumed it was fully charged).
FAN definitely is OK because from the vent you can feel the wind came out whenever I pressed the power button, certainly it would silent when automatic power off.

bill224

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I did any suggestions such as external monitor, press ESC, Alt F4 keys, clean FAN..RAM/HD reseated, bios flush..nothing change.
screen totally black, after I disassemble/assemble Compaq Presario F700 I suspect we got 2nd hand motherboard in stead of original. I found at least 4 or 5 places mark as "replaced", and one a 2-thin-wires(black, red) link between top cover and bottom (motherboard is on bottom) which seems can't disconnect and it didn't mention in anywhere.
I also couldn't remove two screws securing the wireless card.
plus I didn't see any thermal grease or thermal compound(silver stuff) sourand fan there.

bill224

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
we already spent money on buying coverter for HD test, RAM card and dust-remover which someone strongly recommand for overheating problem.
I didn't want to continue waste money on this crap one which is the shortest life we ever have for over 30 years buying computer.
I would offer $50 for anyone guarantee to fix my computer.
Anyone interest ?

dondon_09

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
SOLUTION: TO BILL

JUST REHEAT THE GPU 450 DEGREE USING HOT AIR GUN BE SURE TO PUT A LQUID FLUX REHEAT IT 2 MINUTES

THE MEAN PROBLEM IT IS THE GPU OF THE MOTHERBOARD.. NO NEED TO SPENT MORE MONEY JUST DO IT ON YOUR SELF ...

I DID IT IT WORKS .........

DONDON.......