Sign in with
Your question

Video Playback

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 30, 2010 8:36:26 AM

First of all, I don't know too much about computers, so I'll try my best.

My problem is that some of my 720p mkv videos are choppy in certain scenes. I'm assuming that the solution is that I need a new graphics card, but which one? I'm really just looking for a card that will play 720p and 1080p videos without a single problem. Another question is that right now I'm using hdmi, if the card I get doesn't have hdmi on it, can I use the hdmi from my motherboard or do I have to use whatever comes on the video card? The card I'm using now is an integrated nvidia geforce 8300.

Specs:
Asus M4N78 PRO motherboard w/ geforce 8300 integrated
4 gigs of ram
Amd athlon 64 x2 dual core 6000+ (3.00 ghz)
Windows 7 (32-bit)
500 watt ps

More about : video playback

January 30, 2010 8:41:03 AM

you have to use the output on your newer card, the hdmi on your board is tied to the integrated card. You can get a DVI to HDMI cable and it works the exact same, except you have no sound in that transfer.

You should be able to handle 1080p files with that set up, its a matter of configuring the hardware accelerators and drivers right. I'm working on the same thing right now and its makin me crazy, BAH!
m
l
January 30, 2010 8:49:20 AM

O really? Well thats good then, I didn't wanna have to spend money if I didn't need to. What are you using then to watch videos? I'm using mpc-hc w/ cccp right now. Yea I attempted to mess with decorders and stuff but had no idea what I was really doing haha. I know I have everything up to date, the last thing I finished doing was fixing that "coprocessor" thing. Anyways, best of luck to you and if you figure it all out, maybe you could pm how to do it as well.

To the rest of the public, if you think my specs are sufficient for at least 720p if not 1080p playback as well, how can I prevent choppiness in certain parts? I'm currently using MPC-HC w/ CCCP.
m
l
January 30, 2010 7:01:08 PM

Okay the problem I've discovered to be H264 DXVA support. Geforce 8XXX series support DXVA with H264, so its simply a matter of configuring your media player to utilize it. The only way I know how to enable it is during k-lite codec installation, towards the end it asks if you want to enable it as well as for VC-1.
m
l
!