Xbox 360 connected to my computer's network

BlackIce2758

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I've got a probelm similar to most mentioned above. :(

First I guess I should explaine my Xbox 360's setup. I play my 360 through my computer's moniter. I have a HDMI cable running from my 360 to my computer moniter. I then have a LAN cable running from my 360 to the back of my computer for networking purposes. My computer is connected wirelessly to a router 2 rooms over which is connected to the modem. SO.. I'm using my computers wireless internet connection for my 360 to connect to XBox Live..

My problem all started with my 360 not being able to connect to Xbox live. I couldn't figure it out. My 1st idea was to restart my computer in effort to refresh the networks connection. I restarted my computer (which i usually leave on all day for the most part) and upon logging into my computer, I noticed a nasty virus had taken over my computer..

Maybe some of you have had the same virus but it was the "Secutiry Tool" virus where it would load a scan tool running in the background and searches for fake viruses which should be removed by buying the "Security Tool" software.. I can't get rid of it at all. :bounce:

Last night I downloaded malwarebytes anti-malware and ran that and I also downloaded Spyware Doctor which i've used in the past. Ran both of those while I was asleep last night. Hopefully my computer will be nice and clean once I get home from work today..

I guess my real question is, can a virus as described above, cause my 360, which is connected to my computers network via LAN connection, either not connect or malfunction? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

My network LAN settings for my computer are set to allow incomming 3rd party network connections internet access. I made sure of that..

Can someone help!!!! :fou:
Has that nasty virus on my computer blocked the network connection from my 360 accessing Xbox live??
It seems like my computer can't see the 360 connected via LAN cable..

midlb9

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
try this. right click on my computer, go to properties>remote settings. there should be a check box for allow other computers to connect to the internet through this computer. make sure that is checked. after that if still not working have you bridged your wireless and wired network connection togather? One other thing I would do is buy a decent anti-virus/anti-spyware program. If your on a budget defender pro is cheap ($20 at walmart) and good, but Kaspersky internet security is the way to go. reply back with if these things work or not