Sign in with
Your question

Ati Crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 30, 2010 9:29:08 AM

Do all games gain advantage from crossfire, if not than how many games do, do older games like prince of persia, halo, counterstrike bioshock etc. gain from cross fire.
Also what is the power of 2 HD 5770 cards in cross fire mode ?
also can HD 5770 of two diffferent makers be crossfired for eg 1 of Msi another of Powecolor ?

More about : ati crossfire

a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 9:34:48 AM

You cannot denny the the POWER of 5770 CrossFire standing at $320 outperforming $320 5850 and delivering performance on-par with $400 5870.
Yes, any off the 5770 can be crossfired

Some games are CPU limited, like, FarCry 2
Here is a great review to show how much difference CrossFire makes
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-h...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 9:54:03 AM

ADon't forget to also take into account your screen size when using cross fire.
I went from one 5850 to 2 in crossfire on a 22" monitor.
TBH I was rather let down at the minimal performance increase (around 17% in some games) although this would have been far larger on a larger screen size / resolution (Was runngin 1680x1050).
If you are running at sub HD resolutions then personally save yourself the cost of a 2nd card and get aother upgrade instead.
m
l
Related resources
January 30, 2010 6:03:54 PM

Unlike SLI, Crossfire is hardware based and doesn't have to rely on software scaling. Pretty much all games will utilize CF even if it's not mentioned.

Hell, I fired up halo PC when I got my second 3870 and my frames easily doubled. ;) 
two 5770's will wipe the floor on competition
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 6:09:56 PM

There's a lot of crap going around in this thread.

mfarrukh said:
You cannot denny the the POWER of 5770 CrossFire standing at $320 outperforming $320 5850 and delivering performance on-par with $400 5870.
Yes, any off the 5770 can be crossfired

Some games are CPU limited, like, FarCry 2
Here is a great review to show how much difference CrossFire makes
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-h...

A 5850 on Newegg is $289 shipped, don't just mention the good sides to CF; there's stutter, incompatibility, and poor scaling in some areas.
Left 4 Dead/Flight Sim would be a better example of a CPU-bound game.

rambo117 said:
Unlike SLI, Crossfire is hardware based and doesn't have to rely on software scaling. Pretty much all games will utilize CF even if it's not mentioned.

Hell, I fired up halo PC when I got my second 3870 and my frames easily doubled. ;) 
two 5770's will wipe the floor on competition

Both SLI & CF on high-end parts are hardware based, (SLI & CF bridges), older games won't work with SLI/CF unless you create a profile for that game (what mode (checkerboard, AFR, scissor)).

Most MODERN games will use SLI/CF, however it's best to check individual games.

m
l
January 30, 2010 7:51:20 PM

sabot00 said:
There's a lot of crap going around in this thread.

A 5850 on Newegg is $289 shipped, don't just mention the good sides to CF; there's stutter, incompatibility, and poor scaling in some areas.
Left 4 Dead/Flight Sim would be a better example of a CPU-bound game.

Both SLI & CF on high-end parts are hardware based, (SLI & CF bridges), older games won't work with SLI/CF unless you create a profile for that game (what mode (checkerboard, AFR, scissor)).

Most MODERN games will use SLI/CF, however it's best to check individual games.

Wow... ok, before you speak, maybe you should consider a little research.

In order for SLI to be at its most effective, the programmers have to optimize their game FOR SLI. Crossfire is different, as its hardware based. No matter the game, CF will be used. IF the programmers of a certain game optimize it for crossfire, you'll get the best scaling but no matter what, Crossfire takes effect.
And your wrong about "most MODERN games" I just rechecked my results with old school halo PC and my frames are easily doubled by Crossfire.

Would you like some screenshots?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 11:22:04 PM

Not all games take advantage of crossfire (last time i checked which was along time ago and im sure most of them got support through a driver update or patch). And i would say all new game take advantage of it.

As for older games, the older they are the less likely they support crossfire though the more likely a single 5770 will be able to max it out. Counterstrike and Halo will only need one 5770.
m
l
January 30, 2010 11:26:51 PM

paperfox said:
Counterstrike and Halo will only need one 5770.

Hey, who says 1000fps is too much? :p 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 11:45:42 PM

Seriously I have never seen a single instance of 'stutter' with my 5770's.

There are other issues, sometimes eyefinity might not work with crossfire in some games (it's kinda random though). Otherwise, they are running perfectly and certainly stutter free.

What the others said is true however, you won't need any more than one 5770 for any of those older games.
m
l
!