Sign in with
Your question

BSOD caused huge FPS drop ?!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 1:04:51 PM

Hello all :) 
Well i ran in to a serious problem,i was playing COD 4 MP online and suddenly i got a BSOD and the PC restarted but after that i have gotten a huge FPS drop.
I used to play with 250 FPS (Steady) but now its has gone down to something like 100,or even in PES 2010 it has gone from 60 to 32FPS.
I have had very few BSOD's before but when the PC restarted my FPS was normal.
Here is my system spec:
Q6600 @ 3.4
4GB OCZ DDR2 800 RAM
HD 4870X2 @ stock
ASUS MAXIMUMS Formula

Here is what i did:
1_Although i have this PC for 3 years running stable @ 3.4 but i set everything to stock and cleared the CMOS.
2_Installed the latest BIOS and motherboard drivers.
3_Tried 3 different ATI drivers (9.12,9.12 hot fix and 10.1) and all with driver sweeper for a clean install.
Installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 X64.
As i said i have had this rig for 3 years(with CPU @ 3.4) without any problems but after that BSOD this has happened.
Any helps would be gladly appreciated :) 
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 1:17:51 PM

Wow Maz, if the expert guy like u can't solved that BSOD then i don't think my help would actually help u... :) 

Did u try running with just 1 stick of ram? then try another one, to make sure whether the memory is broke or not...
Try the stock speed of CPU?
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 1:22:36 PM

lol,its not like that,i don't know lots of things since i am not an expert.
Anyways as i said i tried the CPU @ stock speeds.
I will test the RAMs and will report back.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 1:27:34 PM

Yeh
I wasn't expecting that you would run into a problem and will have to ask us.
You definetly have better experience than us
AnyWay,
what about your RAMs
m
l
a c 126 U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 1:32:35 PM

If I were you I'd revert back to your orginal settings with your CPU at 3.4ghz and run OCCT or Prime95 for 12hours, Run blend test and then also run small FFT's. That way we can know for sure that your CPU and RAM are stable.

You may also want to run Furmark to see if your GPU is stable (should be if its running at stock) Make sure to monitor your CPU temps with Real-temp and your GPU temps with GPU-Z.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 2:06:05 PM

Agreed with the above, but, look at your temps, and I wouldnt recomend running furmark, as itll only cause more heat and wont pinpoint problems.
You havnt mentioned artifacting, which is good.
Id eliminate cpu/ram first, but dont stress the gpu yet, and whats the temps?
It could be cpu denegration from your oc, as all chips vary in what they can do, and for how long they can do it, and as always with ocing, your mileage will vary.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 2:38:04 PM

Also, it could be your psu, but try 1 thing at a time, so you can pinpoint it.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 3:06:01 PM

Posting mostly so I can find this again.

What was the BSOD related to? I'm afraid you've really got to test everything one at a time. Check temps, voltages, ram, harddrive, etc. If you knew what caused the BSOD, I'd start with it. (meaning if it was complaining about the AMD drivers for the video card, start testing the video card.)
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 3:48:46 PM

Tested my RAM's one by one and still low FPS in games.
Also when i was @ 3.4 with 1.45 voltage my Core temps were in range of 36-38 @ idle and went max to 55c under full load.
And now with every thing at stock my core temps are between 26-30 at idle.
As for my card it runs @ 52c idle and with 40% fan speed.
I think my temps are fine.

About the BSOD error,i don't remember exactly but i saw a percentage going from 1% to 100% in the last line and when it reached 100%,PC restarted.
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 6:01:42 PM

So ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 6:04:58 PM

The percentage is how all BSOD react on Windows.
I would try running the CPU @ Stock & running Prime95 for a night, then Memtest86+ for RAM.
m
l
a c 126 U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 6:08:41 PM

Maziar said:
Tested my RAM's one by one and still low FPS in games.
Also when i was @ 3.4 with 1.45 voltage my Core temps were in range of 36-38 @ idle and went max to 55c under full load.
And now with every thing at stock my core temps are between 26-30 at idle.
As for my card it runs @ 52c idle and with 40% fan speed.
I think my temps are fine.

About the BSOD error,i don't remember exactly but i saw a percentage going from 1% to 100% in the last line and when it reached 100%,PC restarted.

so? Did you run Prime95 or OCCT for 12 hours at 3.4ghz? with blend test and then after with small FFT's?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 6:16:42 PM

Well, one thing. If Maziar remembers something going from say 1% to 100%, then it may be power usage? Temps possibly, what else is monitored so?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 6:34:51 PM

I had a BSOD last night, the 1%-100% is saying restarting... x%.
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 7:20:01 PM

Rustyy117 said:
so? Did you run Prime95 or OCCT for 12 hours at 3.4ghz? with blend test and then after with small FFT's?

Well i have now reverted back to 2.4 but when i was at 3.4 i tested with OCCT (for 3 hours),same with Prime 95 and Orthos and also i tested with Everest's CPU test too.
I will test now at stock too and report back.
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 7:20:19 PM

sabot00 said:
I had a BSOD last night, the 1%-100% is saying restarting... x%.

That's exactly what i got as well
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 7:33:11 PM

The bombing out during gaming and the FPS drop that seemed to precede the BSOD would suggest to me that it may be PSU or GPU related, now is the time when a low power card ( ATi in this case ) would be oh so useful and as for the percentage count thing on the BSOD, that's just windows deciding it really can't do diddly squat for whatever reason. The other thing you might want to try is going into safemode (if you can) and on the boot tab click the 'boot original configuration' box and apply that setting, just in case it's a simply a slightly corrupted boot file.
m
l
a c 231 U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 7:50:48 PM

A BSOD can fudge windows. Do you have a backup image of your boot drive (partitioned to be small one hopefully) ?

When you run OCCT, any anomalies on the temp / voltage graphs ?

Blown the dust outta the GFX card and HS ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 7:53:04 PM

Run benchmarks for your GPU and use GPU-Z to see if it's running at full speed. Your GPU might be dying?
m
l
January 30, 2010 8:23:04 PM

I wanted to explain what the 1 - 100 % thingy is. It is windows creating the dump file that can be analyzed to see what the problem was.

Since your drop is in FPS, I would think that something in the graphics card is going south. I don't think a bad stick of ram could drop your fps that much. It would hang or give you another BSOD.

Do you remember what the BSOD said? The error number is important to see what made it BSOD in the first place.

Sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

Regards from Argentina!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 9:13:46 PM

If Windows detects a bad stick of RAM it will replace it with a page file on your hard drive, reducing performance.
m
l
January 30, 2010 9:54:45 PM

I never saw windows doing that... The page file is always there.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 9:54:54 PM

Darking is right. The 1-100% is simply the memory dump happening. Once the memory is "dumped", it will reboot. Check the event viewer, might be in there. I also agree with the mouse, check the PSU and GPU. You have an X2 GPU, any chance its only using one of the cores now somehow? I know you can break the CF by disabling something in the drivers, perhaps this got turned off? (I think you said you tried reinstalling drivers however, so I'm not sure about this.)

m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 9:56:53 PM

The-Darkening said:
I never saw windows doing that... The page file is always there.

As long as Windows doesn't run out of RAM it won't use it.
m
l
January 30, 2010 10:07:32 PM

i had the same problem with my older computer (e7300, 4890, 4Gb ram etc). Make sure that your psu can handel your system and btw i solved my problem with replacing my ram
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 10:12:11 PM

It happens to the best of us, and just like the electrician, hes recommended everywheres, but his house is dark. heheh
Sometimes being close to a problem obscures its sight.
Id still check the psu, the ram, and the cpu, tho the cpu seems to be ok, unless its going into power savings mode? Locking the steppings low? Check AI in CCC, Im thinking its not SW, as theres a new reinstall, unless its the game itself, tho other games wouldnt be effected.
At this point, Id try to reproduce what happened, and check the errors if it does it again, after checking everything else first
m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 11:17:37 PM

Do u have a spare memory?
If it's like u said above then i think that is memory dump, like sabot said:
"If Windows detects a bad stick of RAM it will replace it with a page file on your hard drive, reducing performance."
And having a lot of paging files aren't help at all... :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 1:05:30 AM

Regarding the BSOD, to prevent it restarting so you get a chance to read it, make sure the highlighted option is unchecked:

m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 8:35:47 AM

to mouse,
Where exactly is the "boot original configuration" option? when i go to safe-mode where can i find it ?

to JackNaylorPE,
I will test with OCCT and report back,about the dust i have to say that i opened it was quite dusty so i cleaned it but no results.

to Bluescreendeath,
I installed 3D Mark06 and ran it and it gave me 13287 marks but i tested COD4 MP again and my FPS was still low,same with PES 2010 which is even laggy too.
Also installed Crysis and ran the benchmark tool,i managed to get 50 FPS on average but now its 38FPS.

to okini55,
lol,i am not expert :)  but even the expert guys run in to problems as well,also nothing is overheated since CPU core temps are between 26-30C and VGA temp is 52c on idle.

to jaydee,
I checked ATI CCC and everything is on default,and ATI AI is set to standard.

to Random,
I just unchecked that,so if a BSOD happens again,i will tell you the error.

BTW,tried some programs such as Tune-UP utilities 2009 and Advanced System care3,and they found some problems in registry and fixed it but it didn't help at all.

m
l
a c 189 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 8:41:38 AM

i think the "boot original configuration" is on msconfig-selective startup(general tab)... :) 
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 8:53:31 AM

Any chance Vsync got flipped? (turned on) Have you checked the voltages yet?
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 9:14:48 AM

Randomizer has covered what would be the most important thing for me, now you will be able to get the error code if/when it happens again. It definitely sounds PSU/GPU related to me but without the error log its all hit and hope. I wouldn't rule out the overclock fudging the CPU either, although its the last of the three i would look at.
Going through the components one at a time in a logical order as has been suggested already really is the only thing you can do at this point.
Do check everything and i mean every little setting, how were your drivers CCC set up has any of that changed ? try and use the same drivers you were using. etc
I'm going to assume that you of all people have checked to see if the card is actually working properly in crossfire. right ?

Mactronix :) 
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 9:51:47 AM

to wa1,
Thanks i did that but still the same.

to 45,
Everything is at stock so as my voltages.
Also V-sync is OFF.

to mac,
everything is at default settings in CCC,also i have tried 3 different drivers(each with a clean install)but still the same.
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 10:38:40 AM

The way i see it Maz you are going to decide if you want to have a PC that will chug along at defaults or are you going to crank everything back up again and wait/hope for the BSOD to come again so you can get the error code, problem is it probably wont be the same error code as before.
It really does read as if your card isnt working right, the FPS are at around half. What does GPUZ say does it all read correctly ?

Mactronix
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 10:44:34 AM

I've already suggested it but don't see the reply. What does the event viewer say?
m
l
a c 112 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 10:59:50 AM

Most things have been covered already

Check and make sure Crossfire is in fact working. Those FPS look just like crossfire went out.

For the hell of it, Remove and reinstall the card it self. Pay close attention to the contact pads on the pci-e x16 connectors(Data). I had my card drop to X1 once with dirty connectors. Loss of bandwidth would stop it from working properly.
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 11:48:52 AM

to mac,
Here is a Screen shot from GPU-Z,it seems a little strange to me,take a look at the highlighted areas

to 45,
In which part of Event viewer i must check for BSOD erros ?
Because i looked in Critical/Warnings and also Administrative logs and it doesn't report any BSOD's.

to nuke,
CrossFire is working,i removed the card and put it back again too.

Here is what 2 copies of GPU-Z are reporting.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 12:13:18 PM

wa1 said:
i think the "boot original configuration" is on msconfig-selective startup(general tab)... :) 

It most certainly is old bean.

Tick the box and apply then reboot, it usually works if you get a 'bad_sys_config' error BSOD.
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 12:36:13 PM

I did but i didn't get any errors
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 12:39:40 PM

So is it all working now or are you still getting BSOD's?
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 12:42:19 PM

I am not getting BSOD's since as i said i cleared the CMOS and went to stock speeds,however my FPS is low :( 
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 12:55:24 PM

According to your GPUz shots you're running at x1 & x8 on your PCIe slots, that 'aint right mate. Re seat cards and check PSU, then start to perspire whilst looking for a mobo that is known to be working.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 1:30:58 PM

Could be mobo, lets hope not, but MM is right, just peeked at those gpuz shots.
Reseat that gpu, and hope thats it.
Run some paper towels thru the pci slot, then blow it out, also, clean contacts on card, then reseat. Id even wiggle it some after seating, make sure its in full contact.
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 5:46:50 PM

Bad news guys :( 
I just took out my HD 4870X2 ( I have 1 HD 4870X2) and cleaned my connectors and also the PCI-E slot and put it back again and it still was showing my speed @ 8x,1x.
I tried my other PCI-E slot (since i have 2 PCI-E 16x slot's)and it showed my speed @ dual 1x!!! Here is a screen shot:

It seems logical now,the speed has dropped from dual 16x to 8x1x,and therefor i got a huge FPS drop.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 6:16:22 PM

So how/why does that happen?

Card or slot? Grab another GPU and see what it says.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 6:23:00 PM

Oh crude...running in x1 and x8...

Motherboard problem prolly. Tweak mobo settings? Flash new mobo drivers?
BSOD fry the mobo?
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 6:24:24 PM

Something has gone wibbly bye bye's, have you not got or can you not borrow a cheap and cheerful card? anything PCIe just to see if it's the card or the mobo.
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 7:37:47 PM

to 45 and mouse,
Will get another card and test with it.

To Bluescreen,
As i said i reverted back to stock settings + latest BIOS driver

to JD,
well my FPS was still low even with my CPU @ 3.4,i decided to revert back because i though it would help.
m
l
a c 169 U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 7:45:51 PM

i will get a HD 4350 tomorrow but there is a problem and its that my 4870X2 is actually 2 cards on one slot so GPU-Z shows 2 GPU's but a HD 4350 is a single card so GPU-Z will show 1 GPU so it may even show it at 16x,but i will test and tell you the results.
m
l
!