CPU: i7-3770k
GPU: Asus Nvidia GTX690
RAM: Jipjaws G-Skill 8GB 2133Mhz
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
HDD 1: SSD Vertex 4
HDD 2: WD Black 1TB
Cooling: Corsair H100 Water Cooler
PSU: Corsair 850W

Using the onboard overclocking software, my CPU only goes up to 4.2Ghz and any higher it goes to Blue Screen...

Is my PSU to low to allow for the overclocking of the CPU, as my GPU is already over clocked... Or am I not overclocking the CPU properly using the manual BIOS?

Thank you!

More about : 3770k overclock

a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
October 25, 2012 7:40:31 AM

Overclock through the BIOS.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2012 8:06:27 AM

Download CPU-Z - Realtemp -Prime95 - 1. Enter BIOS

Uploaded with ImageShack.us 2. Click Advanced Mode and then click Yes

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
3. You should be on this screen or something similar

Uploaded with ImageShack.us 4. Click Ai Tweaker and copy my settings that appear on this image. Do not change other settings at this point.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us 5. Copy my settings shown on screen. DO NOT CHANGE THE SETTINGS IN THE WHITE CIRCLE. First, click the DRAM settings where the white arrow is pointing to. From here, set your correct RAM timings. Then go back to the main page and can you see the white circle? Change the voltage setting from auto to manual. Do not use offset voltage. Then manualy type 1.22v for the vcore and press enter. Also, set your RAM voltage to 1.65v if that is your RAM voltage. Also, set your RAM speed to your correct RAM speed.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us 6. Take a look at this and copy these settings. Just ignore the settings you have already seen/changed in screenshot 5.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us 7. Press F10 and save. The system will reboot.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us Then load up prime95 and run the blend test.
Whilst it is running, open up realtemp and look at your temps. If they hit 80c, stop the prime95 blend test right away! If you are on 75c or below, keep the test running. You need to leave the test for 12 hours. If your system is unstable, it will reboot or cause a blue screen. if this happenes, increase the vcore to 1.23v and so on. Also ensure your settings are the same as mine and also make sure your RAM voltage/speed/timings, which are not the same as mine, are set correctly and do the test again. Keep watching for errors and temps during the test. if it looks solid for about 3-4 hours then you might as well leave your PC for the rest of the test time.
Related resources
October 25, 2012 11:18:59 AM

Thank you so much man, I appreciate the time you have given to help me...

Ill try your method out and tell you how it goes... Oh and I have AIDA64 as my testing software, is that okay?

Thank you again!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2012 11:42:24 AM

Recommended Software Stress Testing
I use Prime95 and I have never had a problem afterwards. When using Prime95, use Custom Blend meaning, select Blend first and then press Custom. After that, change the RAM amount to 90% of available RAM.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

Temperature
I use RealTemp, have had no problem and it's light on resources.

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

CPU-Z is a must to monitor voltage and clock speeds as well as validate your CPU clocks.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
m
l
October 25, 2012 11:49:13 AM

Oh wait, dont worry about the RAM issue... I figured it out :D ... Okay I used 1.22Vcore and it blue screened :( 

Now I ramped it up to 1.23V and still seems like its on blue screen...

Then 1.24V and then I skipped right to 1.3V and still blue screen... Maybe my system isnt doesnt have enough power yeah? ^^
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2012 11:53:31 AM

Sharni117 said:
Oh wait, dont worry about the RAM issue... I figured it out :D ... Okay I used 1.22Vcore and it blue screened :( 

Now I ramped it up to 1.23V and still seems like its on blue screen...

Then 1.24V and then I skipped right to 1.3V and still blue screen... Maybe my system isnt doesnt have enough power yeah? ^^
It's possible but i don't think so
m
l
October 25, 2012 12:20:05 PM

Best answer selected by Sharni117.
m
l
October 25, 2012 12:22:22 PM

Thank you, Ill have a look :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2012 12:26:17 PM

No problem anytime.
m
l
October 25, 2012 1:10:41 PM

Hey, I decided to go through the AI Suite II software, i got at least 4.45Ghz as the safest mode... I saw the temperature hit 98 Celsius in one of the cores so i think this might be good... But I dont get how some people can get 4.6Ghz with a Corsair H60 Water Cooler while I have a Corsair H100...

But oh well, I dont think i need anymore speed ^^

Thank you so much Bigcyco1

You helped a lot and I managed to get the range of speed i wanted!

Sincerely,
Sharni117
m
l
October 26, 2012 1:15:24 AM

Hey Sharni,

On my comp, I also use the 3770k with an Asus board. While the AI Suite software did get the OC fairly high, I noticed that the voltage it used was WAY higher than it should be. AI Suite had my voltage at 1.4xx or so, while I was able get it stable at 1.255 for a 4.5Ghz overclock. I'd take a look at what AI Suite sets your voltage at for 4.5 GHz, and then drop it little by little until you get a stable OC/ a temperature that you're comfortable with.

Edit: I'm also using the Corsair H100 cooler and Corsair HX 850w PSU

Cheers,

John
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 26, 2012 2:18:09 AM

I could boot windows @ 4.9Ghz (3770k) but once load is added bsod, couldnt get it stable no matter how much voltage I threw at it lol. Then I went to an i5 3570k, got it up to 4.7Ghz would go no higher I wanted to de-lid it so badly, its in another rig now. Now I am back with sandy bridge 5.0Ghz easy as pie!!

Note @ 4.9Ghz 3770k my temps on load befoe bsod with the H100 was almost 90c. Very sad that it takes extreme cooling for anything past 4.8Ghz, temps go crazy after 1.35v!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 26, 2012 2:32:22 AM

Sharni117 said:
Hey, I decided to go through the AI Suite II software, i got at least 4.45Ghz as the safest mode... I saw the temperature hit 98 Celsius in one of the cores so i think this might be good... But I dont get how some people can get 4.6Ghz with a Corsair H60 Water Cooler while I have a Corsair H100...

But oh well, I dont think i need anymore speed ^^

Thank you so much Bigcyco1

You helped a lot and I managed to get the range of speed i wanted!

Sincerely,
Sharni117
Hmmm... i am not sure that is a good idea you mentioned you saw the temperature hit 98C that's way to hot especially for 24-7 overclock you don't want to see your temps above 75C try this tutorial http://www.overclock.net/t/1291703/ivy-bridge-overclock...
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 26, 2012 3:14:58 AM

98 degrees @4.45ghz with expensive aftermarket cooling.

i dont go over 75 degrees @4.9ghz with the heatsink i bought for my socket 775 rig.

people always say ivy is better than sandy, i just dont see it
m
l
!