Computer keeps crashing after barely overclocking GPU?

timothyhi

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Hi all,

I recently got my new PC and decided to overclock it to improve performance. However, the thing is that the pc keeps crashing after barely overclocking it. I increased the core clock from 1150 to 1175 MHz and the memory clock from 1200 to 1250 MHz and just that is causing my computer to constantly crash when playing graphically demanding games such as crysis and BF3. When the computer crashes, the fan starts to spin really loudly and the audio will start stuttering and I have to manually turn off the computer and let it restart. Can anyone help me? Thanks so much.

PC specs:
MSI twin frozr iii hd 7870 OC
Cooler Master GX-550W
Intel core i5-3470

timothyhi

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Hi,

I set the memory clock back to the default speed, and increased the core clock speed from 1050 MHz to 1100 MHz. However, I still experienced the crashes, even tho my temperature was really low while gaming. Could there be any other problems?

timothyhi

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
More voltage as in the core voltage setting on MSI afterburner? Do excuse my lack of knowledge; it's my first time overclocking. I'm using a 550W power supply, could that be the cause?

Well every card is different and will need different voltage for an OC. If this is your first time I don't want you to damage it. You should look up a guide for your card and follow that. I mentioned the power supply because coolermaster isn't a great brand.

Phantom_Persona

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Forbid my intrusion but with specs like those why did you decide to OC your components?

You already got a pretty good card and a pretty good CPU, I stand by the pratice of OC'ing only when I'm in dire need of those FPS boosts due to the hardware's old-age.

Just a thought. :) Good luck!

timothyhi

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
wanderer: Alright. Thanks!

Phantom: I OC-ed my card due to the fact that I play really demanding games on my PC and I would, as much as possible love to achieve a constant 60 fps on those games. And I from what i read up, my card is really capable of overclocking so i thought why not :)

timothyhi

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
egilbe: It's only overclocked by 50 MHz for both core clock and memory clock. And most reviewers manage to overclock it much further :) (Not that i'm trying to overclock it as much as them)