Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How To See VRM/Mosfet Temps For Asus Board

Last response: in Overclocking
October 25, 2012 9:16:47 PM

Hey all. I have the low end ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0. And do to some throttling at high OCs I was planning to buy these heatsinks for the VRM area.

With ASUS Probe 2 what exactly does the MB temp monitor? Can I determine what my VRM/Mosfet temps are getting to? And does anyone know the temp limits for this board or where I can see them listed?

Lastly, does anyone have experience with those heatsinks I listed? Should that get the job done for a lower VRM temps?

Cheers all!

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 26, 2012 6:08:03 PM

if it dosen't have a sensor labeled VRM or MOSFET then you wont be able to monitor em via software, and i would personally do is buy those heat syncs and get a small fan and point it at the mosfets like this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41185950/DSCF0361.JPG (improv penny cooling ftw)
October 26, 2012 6:54:26 PM

nna2 said:
if it dosen't have a sensor labeled VRM or MOSFET then you wont be able to monitor em via software, and i would personally do is buy those heat syncs and get a small fan and point it at the mosfets like this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/41185950/DSCF0361.JPG (improv penny cooling ftw)

Haha nice method I like the pennies. Is that your board?

I ran P95 for a few hours one day on this board and realized there was some throttling on the CPU and voltages. I had the vcore voltage at 1.41 during the test and clocked at 4.4Ghz. Does the throttling indicate that there was any damage to the VRMs and MOSFET? The board is brand new btw.

Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 26, 2012 7:23:16 PM

Stylo said:
Haha nice method I like the pennies. Is that your board?

I ran P95 for a few hours one day on this board and realized there was some throttling on the CPU and voltages. I had the vcore voltage at 1.41 during the test and clocked at 4.4Ghz. Does the throttling indicate that there was any damage to the VRMs and MOSFET? The board is brand new btw.

Thanks

yep hehe

when the chip throttles it's likely somthing overheating, or in my case, hitting the limits of what my board can supply
i would get a fan pointed at the MOSFETS to see if that stops the throttling
m
l
October 26, 2012 7:40:58 PM

nna2 said:
yep hehe

when the chip throttles it's likely somthing overheating, or in my case, hitting the limits of what my board can supply
i would get a fan pointed at the MOSFETS to see if that stops the throttling

Thanks but as far as throttling signifying damage, does it mean the VRMs could have been damaged or should I not worry?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 26, 2012 9:53:04 PM

Stylo said:
Thanks but as far as throttling signifying damage, does it mean the VRMs could have been damaged or should I not worry?

it's not the best thing to be running them to the throttling point but they will still function normally if you do (just not as long as if they are ran cooler)
m
l
October 26, 2012 10:39:00 PM

nna2 said:
it's not the best thing to be running them to the throttling point but they will still function normally if you do (just not as long as if they are ran cooler)

I see. So there's no damage to them? Believe me I don't plan on running them to the throttling point at all. Was just curious if the throttling during the test that one day could have caused damage.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 29, 2012 12:18:47 AM

Stylo said:
I see. So there's no damage to them? Believe me I don't plan on running them to the throttling point at all. Was just curious if the throttling during the test that one day could have caused damage.

nope, they will function as normally, the throttling is there to prevent damage from occuring
m
l
October 29, 2012 2:21:41 PM

Awesome gentlemen. Really informative stuff. CHEERS!!!!
m
l
October 29, 2012 2:21:51 PM

Best answer selected by Stylo.
m
l
!