Sign in with
Your question

AMD 8120 Cooling issues

Last response: in Overclocking
October 25, 2012 10:23:20 PM

Hey all, Ive been having some high temps on my AMD 8120, ever since i pretty much got the new processor and heatsink. Im using a Geminii S524 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) to cool my AMD 8120 currently. When looking at reviewers of the heatsink, the people with the same processor are getting great temps, one person running 4.2GHz and maxing at 50 Celsius. Im getting very different results. Right now im at 30C just typing, with core temp running, along with a few other programs. At full load, after only 5 minutes of running y-cruncher i get this. Already at 69 Celsius, and only running at 3.899MHz. The Ambient air is 67 degrees in my room (19 Celsius). As you can see, the reviewer has much better temps at a higher clock rate also. Reviews on that heatsink are showing that people are getting good temps, but im not. Should i reapply thermal compoud? or could there be more to my thermal problem.

Could i get some troubleshooting help with this? I have cool n' quiet off, and all the other amd features turned off, just a manual OC.
October 25, 2012 11:32:49 PM

bulldozer runs HOT just wondering are you using the stock cooler for the cpu
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
October 25, 2012 11:48:21 PM

I would grab HWMonitor and see if the fan speed is going up.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If they are not go check the bios for fan speed settings.

If they are. I think it may not be quite seated right or too much/too little thermal paste. How much thermal paste did you use?

@ devilofdeaths
Geminii S524
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2012 11:51:34 PM

lol, I guess devil didnt read the second sentence... anyway, did you need that "top down" cooler for some reason ??? I think the hyper 212 would have been a better choice if you're comp. case allows for it !!! I use a Corsair H100 running my 8120 @ 4500MHz and my temps are similar @ 1.4v though... 34c idle & 65c or so under load in a NAZXT Phantom case...
m
l
October 26, 2012 2:29:46 AM

Guess he didnt read that sentence lol. My cpu fan is maxed out in the bios, although not sure why the max in HWmonitor is showing to have a higher max.

I got that cooler because i was planing on overclocking my RAM and i dont have enough room for a very tall heatsink, such as the hyper 212. I was thinking of getting an H50 at some point, or a larger case. Im still using a mid tower, from my last build using a microatx mobo, and i moved on to a full atx board. It could possibly be that theres just not enough room for air to move throughout the case because of its size compared to a full tower though.

I might check my thermal paste job sometime soon, when i feel like taking 10 minutes to remove the heatsink haha. I dont think i would have put on too little or too much, having done many many builds.
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
October 26, 2012 4:57:14 AM

At that fan speed I find it hard to see you having such high temps(for that cpu.). The super high speed thing is a common bug. more often happens if you have the motherboard software running as well.

I mean an i7 2600K can get to those temps at stock(even with an aftermarket quiet heatsink) in a low air flow case with IBT an even higher with AVX OCCT testing).

The idle temps look quite good.

I see 1.27 volts peak, is that normal for that cpu at stock? The first image shows a VID of 1.20 volts.

How are the temps when doing normal day to day activities?

I used the Gemini S with a 95 watt chip(and a slow slim fan) and no problems. Maybe the chip is just too much for that cooler? Hard to believe as so many users ran those coolers on hotter chips.
http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=3263
m
l
October 26, 2012 5:30:53 PM

Thats what im confused about, i should be moving enough heat off of the heatsink to keep it cool. It could be my case, im looking into a new case. Currently i have an elite 430, full atx board and that heat sink, so it isnt very roomy. I think the stock voltage is 1.v, i dont exactly remember. Normal day to day temps, i idle at around 30C. I haven't tried running y-cruncher for an hour yet, just because my temps rise to 69 in almost 5 minutes, and i end up stopping it there (it does slow down the temp increase at around 68C) but it will climb more i think if i leave it go too long.

I dont see how that chip is too much for the heatsink, when people with the same CPU and heat sink are getting lower max temps at a higher clock rate.

When gaming im around 40%-50% cpu usage, and my temps hit 62-65C. I dont see how a 100% load is about 5 degrees higher then at 50%. GAH. Maybe i just need a new case...
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
October 26, 2012 6:57:14 PM

Your case does not look that bad to be honest, Also it is important to know that many users post motherboard bios temps. Those on some boards can be much lower.

I would like to use this image as a reference to this. The board is a Gigabyte H55N USB3 and its bios temps for the cpu are nothing like the cpu coretemp readings. The 89 load is a bug :) 
http://imageshack.us/a/img836/3302/idletempso.png

On to other things, Most of the time, you hit a point that the temps just slow right down. My 2600K can get close to its max temp at 50-70% as well despite not getting much hotter at full load. While my I7 920 did not get hot unless the load was very close to max. Different cpus act different.

Do you have a fan at the back or top of the case to remove the extra heat?

Tom's Hardware put a 212 sized heatsink in your case without issues :) 
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/antec-three-hundred-enerm...

My only suggestion would be to try to lower the voltage a bit with an -offset or try some better thermal paste(the stuff I got with my 212+ was very dry and thick, so i did not use it. I do not remember using the stuff with my Gemini S either).
m
l
a b K Overclocking
October 26, 2012 7:26:45 PM

that particular cooler isn't good for the cpu.

http://www.pro-clockers.com/cooling/2021-cooler-master-...

out of the 5 coolers in the review, that one was the hottest running. They did say however the motherbard components ran cooler.

also ram itself doesn't generally overclock well, they are binned quite a bit and stressed to where they are put. once in a while you can get one that is capable of running faster, but generally you can't get much out of them. Even so, ram sticks don't usually run hot, a single spot fan will keep them cool.
m
l
November 2, 2012 5:45:53 PM

Well my cable management is fairly cluttered right now. I have an exhaust fan at the back of the case, one fan on the side panel, one on the bottom of the case next to the PSU (my case is elevated by the way, not sitting on carpet) and one on the front.

The cpu heatsink takes up the two fan spots on the top of the case. So airflow inst very amazing, im thinking maybe change the side panel fan to an exhaust instead of an intake maybe? The front fan is intake, the bottom is intake, top rear is exhaust, and side panel is intake. So 3 intakes one exhaust. So possibly my air movement inst optimal.
Also, i am using arctic silver 5, thermal paste i dont think is my problem, unless I didn't add enough, but im fairly certain i have a perfect amount, just because of having done it so many times on different computers with not a problem.

Wow i didn't think that size heatsink would fit in my mid tower, my measurements never showed enough room. Hmm.

I will drop my voltage a little lower maybe, i think last time i tried to drop it it wasnt stable, i dropped it to around 1.1v and it switched back to default because it wouldnt pass POST.

As for the heatsink noob2222, people with the same heatsink as me are getting much much lower temps then me with the SAME cpu and overclocking higher than me, so clearly the heatsink is efficient enough to take it.
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
November 2, 2012 7:59:45 PM

Under volting takes very little steps and time to get the most out of it.

With more intake then exhaust, The air should find its way out the top with convection.

How are the temps if you remove the side panel?
m
l
November 19, 2012 8:54:03 PM

I appologize for the long delays between replys, college is hitting me pretty hard lately so i dont have as much time for all this as i wish.

My temps removing the side panel brought me down one degree. The fan on my heatsink is a little under an inch from the plexiglass side with the side on, so i can see how that might restrict some airflow. im going to take my heatsink off in a minute here maybe and see this thermal paste, and maybe see if i can find anything
m
l
November 19, 2012 9:35:08 PM

Heres what was under the Heatink.

And the heatink itself.

As you can see, there is a spot in the middle, around it there is just the bare metal, not even touching anything! No thermal paste around it, except on the outter edges, as you can also see in the pic of the cpu. Also btw, i didnt spread it, i put a pea/rice size ammount in the middle and let it spread.

I put a rozer to the bottom of the heatsink with some light behind it to show through.

It dips in the middle and flater on the sides. I dont know how the paste would have gotten onto the sides of the CPU when i didnt spread it in the first place. I guess ill install it back on, and try it all again...
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2012 9:50:43 PM

That concave heat sink does not look to be helping, but many are that way.

Is that the stock thermal paste, did it seem real thick?

I would wipe it off then clean with alcohol and have another go. Something was not right.
m
l
November 19, 2012 10:19:55 PM

Nah, its good ole Arctic Silver 5.
It was the consistancy of what you would expect i guess? I had the computer on about 9 minutes before those pictures, so it wasnt as thick as it normally would be.

I just put it back on, got the heatink on nicely, and going to let it run while i eat and hopfully will smooth out enough and ill run some tests and check the temps.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 19, 2012 11:07:30 PM

that is way hot for an AMD fx , I don't like to see mine over 62c , ever . Maybe that cooler is just not enough for a 125watt cpu ? Try a small tower maybe
m
l
November 26, 2012 11:23:43 PM

Yeah i know its pretty darn hot for one lol. People with the same cooler are getting lower temps than i am and with a higher OC too.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 26, 2012 11:59:24 PM

Not a great cooler for OCing , how are the temps now ? Might try a different paste , I have used OCZ freeze until last week , ran out , now using TIM Tronics 4200 on my new 8350 , really works well ,no cure time and easy on off .
GOOD LUCK
m
l
!