GTX 275 and 8600 mix question

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Gtx
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 30, 2010 7:14:11 PM

Hi there everyone,

Long time listener, first time poster here. Truly amazed at the techs on these forums constantly having the best answer to questions I google. I thought I'd better throw my hat into the ring and ask about my idea.

Currently
Asus A8N 64 SLi Deluxe
Athlon x2 64 3800+ 2.0 GHz, Socket 939
3 Gigs Ram
2 x GTX 8600's in SLi
500W PSU if I recall correctly.
Vista 64

I want to buy some future proof components, realizing my CPU is the bottleneck. I currently use 3 displays on this setup, primary SLi display for gaming.

I would like to retain the ability to use 3 displays with a GTX 275 upgrade along with a 750W Silverstone (6pin x 4 PSU, with +12v at 60 Amps), and am wondering if I can keep my second Gtx 8600 in PCI-e slot 2, without downclocking the new 275 in anyway?

Thanks in advance guys!

More about : gtx 275 8600 mix question

January 31, 2010 4:32:45 AM

So ,if you are planning to upgrade to a gtx275 then you should also be prepared for upgrading your cpu since your athlon x2 3800 would certainly bottleneck the card...And since you have to upgrade your cpu you need to upgrade your motherboard and ram too...Speaking truth you have to upgrade your entire system if you want to squeeze more from gtx275
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 31, 2010 6:53:19 AM

SLI 8600 with gtx275 wouldn't recommended, it will be efficient if u only use a single card, gtx275 is far more strong from your old 8600.
And yes, your cpu will hold the card. :) 
m
l
Related resources
January 31, 2010 7:02:15 AM

Hi. Thank you for getting back to me guys with your advice.

Since posting this, and reading benchmarks for opengl and these competing GTX and Radeon cards, I am leaning toward a 5850 radeon, non xfire (mobo limitation).

Its 3 display output can work for me with a small 19' lcd (non gaming display) taking a passive displayport adapter...as per a topic discussed on another thread on tom's.

I think too it will work with my 600 watt PSU. I opened the box earlier today, just to check what its exact wattage was :) 

Your thoughts on this guys..? I mean from a financial standpoint, its a big savings in the interim not getting a power hungry PSU on top of this upgrade, at least to wait an see how it will do. Some overseas forums have guys talking about how they are running their 5850s with 450W to 500w PSUs and urging their countrymen not to upgrade as its more dear there.
m
l
January 31, 2010 7:11:10 AM

Go with a 5850, by the time youll want to upgrade that, youll be wanting to upgrade your CPU and mobo as well anyway, at which time you can get a xfire and get another 5850 if needed

And in new zealand gtx275s are unheard of near enough, gtx260s have been skyrocketing as well recently, 48xx are pretty lowly price atm though, just hard to find
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 31, 2010 7:16:10 AM

okay, 5850 will be a good choice, it good for your future, u still can use it on your next computer... :) 
it depend, if u have 600W of high quality PSU then it's more than enough. So, can u show us your PSU? brand? model?
m
l
January 31, 2010 10:02:19 AM

You would be seeing a massive bottleneck with a 3800+ and a 5850. It would perform better than what you have though and you could transfer it to a new system when you get around to building one.
m
l
January 31, 2010 12:28:37 PM

HD 5850 would be certainly great for an eyefinite setup and gaming but be ready to change your cpu....
m
l
a c 173 Î Nvidia
January 31, 2010 12:49:32 PM

sayantan said:
So ,if you are planning to upgrade to a gtx275 then you should also be prepared for upgrading your cpu since your athlon x2 3800 would certainly bottleneck the card...And since you have to upgrade your cpu you need to upgrade your motherboard and ram too...Speaking truth you have to upgrade your entire system if you want to squeeze more from gtx275

A 939 will choke with anything more than SLi'd 7900GT's, a pair of 8800GT's brought mine to a near on complete halt.
wa1 said:
SLI 8600 with gtx275 wouldn't recommended

And is not possible anyway.
wa1 said:
And yes, your cpu will hold the card. :) 

It probably won't mate, I've had one and I really don't think it will.
m
l
January 31, 2010 1:09:52 PM

Although I never had any SLi system, but I have heard that one of the two gpu can be dedicated completely for physics processing...resurrect me if I have heard something wrong!!! :sarcastic: 
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 31, 2010 1:13:55 PM

I wrote:
And yes, your cpu will hold the card.

^
I mean his cpu will bottlenecking gtx275... :) 
m
l
a c 173 Î Nvidia
January 31, 2010 1:53:43 PM

sayantan said:
Although I never had any SLi system, but I have heard that one of the two gpu can be dedicated completely for physics processing...resurrect me if I have heard something wrong!!! :sarcastic: 

You have it right, one for graphics and one for PhysX.
wa1 said:
I wrote:
And yes, your cpu will hold the card.

^
I mean his cpu will bottlenecking gtx275... :) 

My bad, I thought you were saying his CPU would hold up as in be OK.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
January 31, 2010 2:07:15 PM

My bad, I thought you were saying his CPU would hold up as in be OK. said:
My bad, I thought you were saying his CPU would hold up as in be OK.

It's okay MM, i should say it more clearly next time... :D 
m
l
January 31, 2010 8:42:52 PM

Thanks for the replies.

So CPU will choke meaning it won't run mousemonkey? I know it will bottleneck, but I dont expect it to not run or be slower...?

Second thing is, I've had 8600s with blown caps 4 times now in the system. Replaced each time. Heard it was due to a bad cap batch for that line, and not heat or PSU. Upgrade would be stupid or safe with that PSU inyho?

PS: this is still considering me leaning toward a single 5850 and not gtx 275 right now. Not thinking about a 2nd video card with a 5850 because it will run 3 displays.
m
l
a c 173 Î Nvidia
January 31, 2010 8:53:04 PM

Even with the graphical detail maxed out @ 19 x10 the CPU won't be supplying the GPU fast enough, at 16 x 10 with a pair of 8800GT's MOH:AA became a slide show that was resolved by moving to a 3ghz CPU with lots of onboard cache.
m
l
January 31, 2010 10:09:41 PM

You know what guys..i thought about it, and you're right. There's no point going against the grain with this one.

I'm going to save up a little more and build a new system. Other than the monetary factor in doing that, my biggest hesitation for planning to do that from the get go, was migrating. I have had this Vista 64 system for a few years now and all the software and files to backup etc.. scary thought to miss something, and lots of days involved in getting it up to how its running now.
Heard about sysprep for a non fresh installation, but thats going against the grain too.
m
l
!