Need Overclocking Tutoring

fathairybeast

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Hello all,

I would like to overclock my system. Specifically the CPU (to begin with). In an ideal world, it would be nice to have a super genius tell me precisely what buttons to push.... Realistically, I would be very thankful for some helpful tips. I have a few primary questions:

1. Is this system, with the aftermarket cooler listed, capable of being safely overclocked?
2. What is a good guide for a stupid new guy with the listed components?
3. Are there any major words of warning that I should hear?
4. I hear my cpu/mobo favor FSB overclocking as opposed to Voltage ramping... is this true and what the *** does that mean?

Here is my build, detailed part description is hyperlinked:
- Hive 750w PSU
- 8 GB ram Corsair Vengeance
- Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
- AMD fx-8120 3.1GHz
- GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+
- Radeon HD 7850 2GB
- Enermax ETS-T40 T.B.SILENCE CPU Cooler

Thanks

noreaster

Honorable
May 30, 2012
This article may be of interest to you, AMD's Bulldozer Architecture: Overclocking Efficiency Explored.
1. The cooler you have should be fine for some overclocking with your system.
2. See above.
3. Watch your heat!!!, avoid voltage ramping if you don't know what it is.
4. Work with the multiplier on your CPU first, then worry about FSB/HyperTransports, if you cannot get the clock you want between those two then you could mess with voltages but you are much safer with the first two options than voltages.

hope that gets you started.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
1.) The aftermarket CPU cooler is fine it is the NB cooler you have to worry about the 990X UD3 boards NB cooler as well as the VRM cooler is very bad....In my experience with this board in particular is it extreme short coming at even the slightest NB OC...I have seen on three examples of this board the NB reaching 70c - 80c under an OCing scenario...CPU stability is also lacking.

2.) The stickies at the top of the overclock forum

3.) Read and absorb everything remember VOLTAGE kills , always overclock through the BIOS never use software to overclock ..GPU OC's can be through software. Understand your components thermal and voltage limits. Keep a Log book of all settings.

4.) Therein lies your problem that boards VRM's are not suited for heavy OCing...False, Upping the clock speed will require more voltage..They go hand -n- hand with each other...The faster you go the more voltage is required..Your MOBO is gonna limit you due to the poor VRM's and the inferior non existent cooling of the NB chipset

@noreaster-->HT OCing has no advantages...NB OCing has a considerable increase in efficiency and speed up to 20% in some instances

fathairybeast

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

You were dead on. I was busy all last week so I took a break but went back to the BIOS today in hopes of finalizing my OC. I've been running extensive tests using IBT and the same damned thing happens every time. TMPIN2 is getting really hot.

I googled TMPIN2 and it is, as you said, the NB which is cooking itself. My "stable" OC has thus been reduced from 4.2GHz down to around 3.9 because of the wonky heat-dissipation on the Northbridge. I'm considering buying an aftermarket fan and slapping it on there. Or even a loose aftermarket fan that I can simply point at the thing.

Do you happen to know the safe temp for the Northbridge? I'm trying to keep it below 60C but that is severely limiting me, I'm hoping the temp ceiling on it is higher than that, but I'm not willing to test it out until I hear from someone who knows.

Edit: I'll look into those stickies on the OC forum. As for overclocking, I only use BIOS. I simply run software to monitor performance/temps.