Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help finding parts

Last response: in Systems
February 6, 2010 3:28:47 PM

Hey guys I'm back again.

I have a few spare parts laying around and I was going to throw something together to make a PC to give it to a charity.

Here's what I have laying around:

1) 2 x 512MB kit of DDR2 533Mhz RAM
2) Pentium D 2.8/2M/800
3) IDE DVD-RW
4) An 80GB IDE HDD
5) Case - The case I'm having a hard time identifying, but it looks like it's going to be mATX. It has 2 5.25 bays, 1 3.5 external/internal, and 2 3.5 internal only and 3 expansion slots. It has AC97 & Azalia front panel audio connectors, and what looks to be a generic USB connector.

I'm looking for a motherboard and power supply for it. I tried looking on Newegg for an inexpensive motherboard, but the only thing they have that supports this RAM, from what I saw, is two open box Biostars. I might also need a power supply, although, I might be able to find one used at work.

I'm looking for recommendations on what I can buy as far as the motherboard or PS. Or, if anyone has anything that's working and compatible with these parts, that's willing to give them to me (I'll pay for shipping of course), or that I can buy for cheap I'd take those into consideration as well.

This isn't an urgent matter, I'm just looking to use the spare parts that I have to do some good for someone else who's less fortunate. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys!

More about : finding parts

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2010 3:59:59 PM

Where do you live? I have a 420W RaidMax PSU that works fine sitting here, would be happy to send it to you if you pay for shipping. It's not going to power any GPU's or anything, but should be fine for what you're using it for.

http://www.arsenalpc.com/html/Item2636.htm
February 6, 2010 4:05:22 PM

jack_attack said:
Where do you live? I have a 420W RaidMax PSU that works fine sitting here, would be happy to send it to you if you pay for shipping. It's not going to power any GPU's or anything, but should be fine for what you're using it for.

http://www.arsenalpc.com/html/Item2636.htm

Thanks for the reply!

I live in Indiana. Any idea how much it would cost to ship it? I just finished buying a $1,500 i7 rig, so money is really tight and I don't want to spend a ton on it, but as long as shipping is reasonable I'll take it.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 6, 2010 4:15:25 PM

Well, I could send it Parcel for 8.10, assuming Indy and 5lbs. If you'd like to PM me your address, I can figure it out exactly for you. As a side note, if you do want it, I sort of, a little bit, kinda cut one of the SATA plugs off because I was in dire need of one, just so that's out there :)  I'm in Michigan, by the way.
m
l
February 6, 2010 6:30:33 PM

jack_attack said:
Well, I could send it Parcel for 8.10, assuming Indy and 5lbs. If you'd like to PM me your address, I can figure it out exactly for you. As a side note, if you do want it, I sort of, a little bit, kinda cut one of the SATA plugs off because I was in dire need of one, just so that's out there :)  I'm in Michigan, by the way.

LOL, as long as it doesn't cause any issues and functions properly, I don't mind.
m
l
February 14, 2010 11:40:56 AM

Jack, still have the power supply available?

I'm still interested, but I'm trying to find a motherboard before I bother. If I don't have a motherboard for it, then it's worth wasting the effort/money getting the power supply here.

Anyone have a motherboard that would work with this processor?

Thanks guys!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 14, 2010 2:42:43 PM

Yep, I still have it. It's been sitting on the shelf in my closet for about 4 months now, and it probably isn't going anywhere soon. Just let me know if you want it for sure and we'll get it moving.
m
l
February 23, 2010 11:15:29 PM

Best answer selected by MaizeNBlue2.
m
l
February 23, 2010 11:15:54 PM

Thanks Jack, but it doesn't look like I'm going to find a mobo for it. I do appreciate the offer. Thanks again!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 23, 2010 11:23:21 PM

No problem. If you ever have a need for low-lowish middle end parts for any charitable cause work like that, I'd be happy to dig through my heaps and see what I can help you with.
m
l
!