Sign in with
Your question

Second HDD unallocated after Win7 reinstall

Last response: in Storage
February 9, 2012 5:33:55 PM

Hello all.

I have had a very perplexing problem arise. I recently purchased an Intel 320 120GB SSD for my new gaming rig. I had all my personal info and downloads on a second 500GB SATA drive. After I installed Win7 Ultimate 64 on the SSD my 500GB drive is coming up unallocated in disk management. It is really throwing me for a loop. If have disconnected the drive several times and still have had no luck.

Any ideas or suggestions? It wouldn't be a huge problem to reformat but there are several files I REALLY need back, everything else is just a download away.
a b G Storage
February 9, 2012 5:50:10 PM

I wonder if it's what happened to me a couple of years ago while reinstalling XP. Two of my hard disks appeared as unallocated, and with capacities like 30MB or 723MB instead of 1TB. I fixed it with this (free) tool:

http://blog.atola.com/restoring-factory-hard-drive-capa...

Don't try formatting your disk. I did that with one of my disks. The tool restored the disk's capacity but I lost the files on it. On the other drive, after running the tool, all my files were still fine.

I did find a page, eventually, somewhere on Microsoft's site, recommending that you disconnect all drives before installing Windows, leaving only the drive where you wish to install, of course. Too bad I read that AFTER the fact :( 
m
l
a b G Storage
February 9, 2012 6:04:13 PM

Does the 500gb drive have an o/s on it? If so, did you try and see if you can still boot-up with only that drive in the computer?
m
l
!