Move a HDD to another PC?

JDriggers

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hello, since my desktop is currently out of commission, I would like to remove its HDD and take it to my friends house and put it in his system to get some
important files off of it and transport them to my external harddrive. Is this possible without doing anything to the HDD? Do I have to do something
fancy to get it to work in his system?

Thank you

*We both have Win 7*

Solution
You should be able to attach your drive as a secondary drive on his system by attaching to one of his unused sata motherboard ports and power supply. If you don't see your drive after startup, you may have to go into disk management and see if has been assigned a drive letter. Then you should be able to transfer files from it to your external drive.

RealBeast

Titan
You should be able to attach your drive as a secondary drive on his system by attaching to one of his unused sata motherboard ports and power supply. If you don't see your drive after startup, you may have to go into disk management and see if has been assigned a drive letter. Then you should be able to transfer files from it to your external drive.

Solution

kevinbrown336

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

Like Realbest said, hook it up through USB as a removable device or internally as secondary HDD. Either way should allow you access to files/folders.