OS on SSD Cant set up raid 0 with HDD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznthunderj

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I just got done building my new rig and installed windows 7 and all utilities on my ssd. However I cant for the life of me figure out how to get my raid set up working.

specs

OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
2x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM
ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 LGA 1155
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
XFX ProSeries P1-1250-BEFX 1250W ATX12V V2.2 & ESP12V V2.91
MSI R6970 Lightning Radeon HD 6970 2GB
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

Again, i'm just trying to set up my two 1tb spinpoints into a raid 0 any help/walkthrough appreciated

Solution
There is a simple registry trick in Win7 if you installed Win7 in IDE mode and want to change to AHCI mode. You can poke around and find it in a lot of places. That way, you won't have to re-install.

If you don't care if it's RAID 1 or RAID 0, then with no offense meant I wonder why you want to user RAID at all. Each RAID version addresses a specific problem. In my opinion, there are only two reasons to use RAID at all. One, to address a specific need. RAID 1 and RAID 0 address totally different need; if you don't care which one, it sounds to me like you would be better off without RAID. The second reason is that it is fun to play around with.

RAID 1 gives you two exact copies of every sector. If one drive fails, the other...
RAID0 exposes your data to a much higher risk of loss than just using the two drives separately. Unless you are using it to address a specific need, or just for the fun of playing around with it, I recommend against setting up in RAID 0. If you have the time and patience, read some of the rants here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278576-32-raid

That said, RAID setup is done in the BIOS. Go into the BIOS, make sure that the disk controllers are set to RAID mode and, if they were not, set them and boot to make sure that your installation still works. It won't if they were in IDE mode when you installed the OS; it probably will if you installed in AHCI mode.

As in the excellent article that rolli59 linked to above, the RAID setup is done in the BIOS.

If you do choose to go with RAID0, please do frequent backups. If one drive fails, data recovery will probably be impossible.

aznthunderj

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I would be fine with even setting up with raid 1. I had set it up in my bios after installing the os on my SDD. However once Changed to Raid and had the two HDDs set up in a raid volume it would then try to boot and crash (blue screen etc. because my sdd wasnt part of the raid volume?) . As you stated above you said it wont work in IDE mode when I installed the OS, and your right I did install IDE as such should I do a clean install in AHCI mode then?

The primary purpose for the raid 0 was simply for faster read write times since I use photo shop and game alot, and as such back up all my photos anyhow. But Frankly 1 or 0 I dont care so long as I can set up the raid and still boot from my ssd and have the system see my raid volume.

Thanks for the reply

aznthunder

There is a simple registry trick in Win7 if you installed Win7 in IDE mode and want to change to AHCI mode. You can poke around and find it in a lot of places. That way, you won't have to re-install.

If you don't care if it's RAID 1 or RAID 0, then with no offense meant I wonder why you want to user RAID at all. Each RAID version addresses a specific problem. In my opinion, there are only two reasons to use RAID at all. One, to address a specific need. RAID 1 and RAID 0 address totally different need; if you don't care which one, it sounds to me like you would be better off without RAID. The second reason is that it is fun to play around with.

RAID 1 gives you two exact copies of every sector. If one drive fails, the other still has good data. It is not a substitute for backups; a RAID 1 array should still be backed up. However, it does protect your system against a single spindle failure.

Some implementations of RAID 1 read faster than a single disk, striping the reads across both drives. Some do not.

Solution

aznthunderj

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
My primary reason for wanting a raid 0 was for faster read and write times since RAW images are such large files and I pull multiple files at a time. Thanks for the info I'll start the googling party and try and get this bad boy up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.