Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Should I exchange this Motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 13, 2010 4:31:50 PM

Well I’ve built my first system, and it still has A LOT of work to do as far as cable management is concerned, but a more pressing concern are the BSODs I am getting. It posted the first time I turned the computer on. Then, I began installing Windows 7. It blue screened during first install. So, I did it again, and on the second try, it worked. I eventually had to reinstall Windows 7 yet again. The type of blue screens has varied, but by far, the primary BSOD states that it is BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER. At other times, it is a quick bluescreen, stating that Windows is shutting it down for the safety of the system.

When checking in BIOS, the CPU temp is idling around 105 degrees, and I’ve kept a close eye on it. I’m not overclocking or doing anything of the like—and it’s a wind tunnel in the case, I assure you.
That being said, the constant blue screens worry me to the point that I am thinking of returning the motherboard in exchange for another one, even a different brand. The reason I’m thinking motherboard is because it gives me the BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER error even on installing Windows for the first time. My system specs are as follows:

Motherboard: MSI-890GXM-G65
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965
Ram: G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 4 GB (2 x 2)
Video Card: Palit GTX 460 1GB
SSD: Crucial 64GB (This is where I’m installing windows. I’ve not touched the WD, yet).
HDD: WD Black Caviar Sata III 1TB
PSU: XFX 850w PSU
Case: NZXT Vulcan with a ton of fans
Cooler: Cosair H50

Another behavior that I’ve noticed: it is inconsistent in starting up. The power will start up every time, but the motherboard will not beep and it will not start up windows I’d say most of the time. I have to power off and on in order to get things going. Eventually, randomly, the beep will occur, and windows will start up.

Now, I thought that I had things taken care of and that it was a simple driver issue of some kind after updating windows and updating the video card driver. It worked stably for about an hour after I did that. But low and behold, this morning, I try to turn it on and? Nothing. Just the fans and blue LED lights from the motherboard. No beeping, and no starting up of windows. It looks like I’m stuck.

I can reboot the board, which I’ve already done once, and I bet it’ll get me into bios at least, but even if I get it working again, I fear I’m going to be back in square one, quickly.

The easiest step may be to return the board I have for another one. I’m looking at an ASUS mATX: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or, a Gigabyte: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I chose the MSI over those two, because it had an 890gx chipset in it, and the other ones only had an 880G set. I was thinking in terms of upgradability at the time. However, if I’m using an NVIDIA graphics card, and in all likelihood I won’t get another CPU for this board, because AMD will be moving on from this design, is there any reason to stick with the MSI?

For reference, here’s the MSI: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

From what I can tell, it’s the motherboard, but I could be wrong. Perhaps it’s the video card or ram or the CPU itself. However, given the stated common error, that is making me think it’s the motherboard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

More about : exchange motherboard

Best solution

a c 435 V Motherboard
September 13, 2010 4:59:31 PM

I recommend the following: request an rma from newegg NOW. If you don't use it within 30 days, it will expire; no harm done. First thing to do is be sure all the case leds are working. If any indicator lights on your case don't go solid or flash (hardrive active led), then you may have one out of position. Msi's rma program works, but they tend to send you a refurbished board until about the third bad one. Then they might send you a brand new board. Check msi's website for any bios updates. Your current bios file may be the newest. If it is, no point in flashing for any reason. As far as reliability, I recommend either asus or biostar. Biostar has also been recommend by pros on other hardware sites. They don't overclock the best, but mine has been rock solid, and their rma process works great for me. Had one bad board from frys, but that's not unusual. Good luck.
September 13, 2010 6:46:48 PM

o1die said:
I recommend the following: request an rma from newegg NOW. If you don't use it within 30 days, it will expire; no harm done. First thing to do is be sure all the case leds are working. If any indicator lights on your case don't go solid or flash (hardrive active led), then you may have one out of position. Msi's rma program works, but they tend to send you a refurbished board until about the third bad one. Then they might send you a brand new board. Check msi's website for any bios updates. Your current bios file may be the newest. If it is, no point in flashing for any reason. As far as reliability, I recommend either asus or biostar. Biostar has also been recommend by pros on other hardware sites. They don't overclock the best, but mine has been rock solid, and their rma process works great for me. Had one bad board from frys, but that's not unusual. Good luck.

ok I will do that. From my description, if you were put on the spot to guess, does it sound more like a motherboard problem?

Also, comparing the 880G chipset to the 890GX, do you think there's much of a benefit of one over the other, even if I am using an NVIDIA graphics card? I'm tempted just to return the thing and order another one in the interim so that the wait level is not ages (waiting for a computer is hell for me). :-)
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
September 13, 2010 9:11:03 PM

If you're actually able to get into windows, check the device manager to see if any devices are missing the driver. For the temp 105 f or celcius? 105c would definately be an issue, indicating a heatsink contact problem. If you have the motherboard cd, it can't hurt to try the original windows 7 drivers that came with it, especially if some are missing in the device manager.
September 13, 2010 9:14:51 PM

I looked up the chipset, and it looks like a trivial difference, from the little I could tell. I was referring to 105 f--not Celsius. I went ahead and ordered the Asus board and they're having me ship back the MSI board for no charge or re-stocking fee. Though, I'm losing 20 bucks because that was with a combo deal with my processor! Oh well. I'm hoping this will solve the problem.
September 23, 2010 1:52:26 AM

Best answer selected by hithere_1975.
September 23, 2010 1:52:57 AM

I ended up with the Asus, and the MSI board was defective--no doubt.
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2010 10:34:45 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!