Your question

How do you encrypt network traffic

Tags:
  • LAN
  • Media Center
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
January 12, 2010 12:34:09 AM

I am looking to encrypt network traffic Into and out of my home network. I was thinking about using requested IPsec but i was wonder if their is a better way or if IPsec would actually do what i want it to do.. I am already using an L2TP protocol for my media center PC. Can anyone help?

More about : encrypt network traffic

January 12, 2010 12:36:37 AM

BTW if you can't tell i am a little new to the security part of computers.
m
l
January 12, 2010 8:25:45 PM

just making sure you know, the encrypted traffic is done by the client/server, not by the switches. So it's not like you'll have an encrypted connecting to everyone who connects to your network.

What are you trying to do that requires encryption?
m
l
Related resources
January 14, 2010 12:36:15 AM

well not much i have been dealing with someone hacking my network they havent actually gotten in but they they have tried to use something called pro rat to get into my computer. i have been able to lock them out at least for now i have all their information. I was just hoping to use something like a requested IPsec or something to prevent him from using that connection to do any harm. I already have a vpn set up to my parents house so i can help them out with small stuff on their computer.
m
l
January 14, 2010 12:38:30 AM

Just so you know i don't know if VPN is the right term but it uses an L2TP tunneling protocol.
m
l
January 14, 2010 2:06:56 PM

Yeah, that's a VPN. It "tunnels" your data past the firewall and directly into the internal network on the other side.

A good firewall setup should keep most anyone out of getting in. A NAT usually does a decent job, but NATs are NOT firewalls and they are not designed with lots of security in mind. There are ways around a NAT.
m
l
!