Sign in with
Your question

Overheating cpu amd 2700+

Last response: in Systems
February 6, 2010 7:50:20 PM

So I have a slight problem and I am desperate for any answers. I have read here and on other forums but I am not finding any solutions as of yet. Main problem is cpu overheating and system rebooting. I have a Gigabyte 7S748 motherboard and also have the easytune 4,speedfan,wcpuclk,and rightmark cpu clock utility. Using speedfan my cpu is at 46c I would love to bring it down to 40c. Here is a cpuid log:
CPUID Hardware Monitor 1.1.4.0
-----------------------------------------------------

Mainboard Vendor Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Mainboard Model GA-7S748 (0x1E2 - 0xA6BA98)

LPCIO
-----------------------------------------------------
Vendor ITE
Model IT8705
Vendor ID 0x90
Chip ID 0x8705
Revision ID 0x2
Config Mode I/O address 0x2E
ITE IT87 hardware monitor

Voltage sensor 0 1.65 Volts [0x67] (CPU VCORE)
Voltage sensor 1 2.66 Volts [0xA6] (VIN1)
Voltage sensor 2 3.06 Volts [0xBF] (+3.3V)
Voltage sensor 3 5.38 Volts [0xC8] (+5V)
Voltage sensor 4 12.42 Volts [0xC2] (+12V)
Voltage sensor 5 -8.77 Volts [0x89] (-12V)
Voltage sensor 6 -6.59 Volts [0x67] (-5V)
Voltage sensor 7 3.79 Volts [0x8D] (+5V VCCH)
Temperature sensor 1 29°C (84°F) [0x1D] (TMPIN1)
Temperature sensor 2 46°C (114°F) [0x2E] (TMPIN2)
Fan sensor 1 2813 RPM [0x3C] (FANIN1)

I have one front fan blowing in and one rear going out,one side going out and also the ps which is a PowerMax 450W

Any help would be great . Thank you all !
February 6, 2010 7:56:22 PM

Also can someone tell me how to underclock this board if all else fails.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2010 8:46:54 PM

First I would try the side fan blowing in. You have 3 out 1 in now.
Second would be to clean the heatsink and apply new thermal paste.
Related resources
February 6, 2010 8:48:44 PM

ok I did switch the fan and now it is blowing in with the same results and I already put new paste on.
February 6, 2010 11:17:14 PM

I also flashed the Bios with no results . There are a few spaces I could plug up in the Alum Case I see that there is one slot open with no card inside (doesn't appear there ever was a card there its just open) and I did a through job of blowing the dust off and out not that there was a whole lot to begin with.
February 7, 2010 3:15:14 AM

I did notice that the video card which is a MadDog NVIDIA Geforce4MX 4000 128mb fan is no longer spinning, Could this somehow effect the temp of the cpu ?
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2010 3:22:37 AM

No that should not affect the cpu temp. But that tells me that your vid card may be also overheating.
February 7, 2010 2:06:57 PM

not necesarily-graphics card fans dont always spin. try doing something graphics card ijntensive to seeif the fan goes on. the only way i could get the fan on my old agp nvidia card was to do ms flight sim 2004 i also see that. als o ur psu voltages are quite off
February 7, 2010 4:42:43 PM

I am pretty sure it is not the graphics card at this time. I have the manual for the mobo but I am not a real pro when it comes to the voltages. I have tried changing the cpu clock back to 100 from 166 with no difference other than the 2700+ going to 1500 But I have changed it back to the original 166 and it came back to 2700+, I could go higher but I am only guessing then. I have gone back to the GigaByte web site and also to another forum and not getting any results. Other than this is a great little mobo. I do have two 1GB memory Rams at 3200 and the timings for 166 are 2.5-3-3-7 : (Bumping up to 200 are 3.0-4-4-8) and also used Everest Home and came up with that my Real clock is @ 200mhz but also that the effective clock is @ 400Mhz. I can change some values under the BIOS in Freq & Voltage Control.
I have also added a extra fan blowing from the front mounted just below the optical drives. I am almost convinced it has to do with my timings
February 8, 2010 11:40:33 AM

I also just replaced the stock heat sink and fan with this one just to see if there was a difference. Its a bigger heat sink to displace the heat more and Yes I did remove the plastic cover for those who think otherwise.
Rosewill RCX-Z100 One ball bearing for over 45000/hrs life CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
February 8, 2010 12:07:46 PM

well did it help
February 8, 2010 1:56:12 PM

oh sorry about that. No it did nothing. If I could afford a water cooler Id get that,its just I am on low funds this month.
February 8, 2010 2:22:23 PM

I will do a complete install of windows xp again and see if that helps
a b B Homebuilt system
February 8, 2010 2:56:03 PM

Don't spend to much on this. It is very old. You could buy a similar or faster CPU/mobo from ebay for $50. You'd be better off upgrading to AM3. You've already bought a heatsink, I don't know how much else you've spent on it.
February 8, 2010 3:13:44 PM

Mostly time. and you are right except for being on low funds this month and perhaps the next
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2010 5:48:43 PM

Hmm .. first, what does your computer do when it has the problem? Does it shut off and stay off, or does it reboot? Because if it's an overheating problem, usually it stays off, not reboots on its own.

Also, 46c is not terribly hot, and if that's the hottest temp you've seen I doubt it's an overheating issue either. It's a little on the high side for an idle temp, but I wouldn't say you're in the danger zone.

Honestly, this sounds more to me like a power supply going dead. What are the specs on your current power supply, how old is it, and have you tried a different one?
February 8, 2010 7:47:37 PM

Ok so I have found an old archive page that is talking about my board when it came out on some of them the "thermal diode" is off by 10c which for me would be great but I have reformatted and reinstalled the OS (windows xp home) and now using speedfan my cpu temp is at 48+ which I can not fiquire out what is causing it other than that when I installed the Rosewill RCX-Z100 heat sink and fan that the copper pad below was twice as big and full of grease , So I am thinking that there is too much grease and I am going to go back to the original heat sink and fan which should be enough anyways. I will let you all know how that works out. I did test the power supply and it is working normal ---- I cant remember having so much trouble with a pc before. If this does not work out I will just start over when I can afford it and build a nice machine . Thanks for everyones help.
February 8, 2010 9:26:14 PM

ok Problem solved. 1st let me thank everyone who helped me out. I really appreciate it. Took the Rosewill RCX-Z100 out and found that it was too tight and the chip squeezed all of the paste off resulting in no paste also re-installed stock heat sink and fan w/paste - moved pc out to the sun room which in Wisconsin is now the freeze room at 43 F and then to the basement during the summer which stays at a 53 F year round.--- Probably the original solution was to re-seat the heat sink (which I did) but apparently not good enough.---- Thanks again to ; Rick_Criswell ; HansVonOhain ; shovenose ; False_Dmitry_II ; capt_taco for your time.
!