External HDD not functioning

jesperloh

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Hi all, my external HD suddenly stopped working! When i plug it into my PC, the led light isnt shining and neither is there any movement on my PC.

Can I say that the HD is broken and gone?

I would say that the enclosure is probably dead, or the power supply.
If it is not under warranty, you can open it up and hook it up to your computer, and it should work that way.

If it works, you can either leave it in there as a second drive, or buyanother usb enclosure to put the hard drive inside the new enclosure.

jesperloh

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Western D, quite small in size. That's why im wondering whether it will fit my PC or not. No idea what model it is, but it's passed the warranty. It doesnt hurt, but im afraid that i can't put it back after.

jesperloh

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Alright, so as for normal IDE hard drive, i understand that there will be manual small jumper to be placed on the pins, do sata drive needs it too? I assume the hard drive is quite new, and should be sata capable. WD1200BEVS is the model no. i saw on the HD's particular strip.

jesperloh

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Btw, that usb board, if i were to change, is it possible for me to get them outside? The exact same model so that i can replace it and refit it into the casing. If the board were to be faulty, i think either the power supply or the usb connector wont work.