Sign in with
Your question

Color quality degrades [on both] running dual monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 30, 2010 11:50:05 PM

Greetings,

Great site btw! I searched 'till my eyes were bleeding and I'm surprised I can't find a match for my issue anywhere here or on the web. Hope someone can help me out.

Running XP Pro on an older Dell Dimension 8200 with 1 GB mem and currently have the GeForce 4200ti 64mb AGP.

Just set up a Samsung 24" LCD...looks beautiful! When I extend onto second monitor, the color quality of the text fades on both monitors. Text looks crisp on the primary/secondary but the text color degrades. Almost looks "spotty" As soon as I go back to single monitor...back to normal.

Swapped out the 4200ti for a Quadro 280nvs [also 64mb AGP]...same thing...color fade.

AS a test, I hooked my new Samsung to an HP laptop [DV5000: 3 yrs old] as a secondary monitor and both look perfect.

So...question is: how and why is the degradation taking place? Video card, CPU speed, system memory?

Thanks much,

Vinny B.
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2010 11:56:14 PM

I think the maximum supported resolution of a 4200ti is 2048x1536, so that could explain some loss when you add another screen.

Can you try both at 1024x800 (or 800x600) to see what happens?
m
l
January 31, 2010 12:11:09 AM

Wow...quick!!! Thanks Jenny.

Will try that right now.

Dumb question: Samsung is 1920 x 1200 but are you saying that I [and the world] are supposed to be adding these resolutions together when setting up multiple monitors?

Also, would that maybe contribute to my Samsung acting a little "slower" when in portrait mode?

When I hooked it up to the laptop and flipped the Samsung to portrait, it was fine; but, when it ran by itself in portrait, some pull down menus on certain programs were kind of "glitchy".

Thanks again,

VB
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2010 12:15:03 AM

I honestly don't know how it works out, but the ti is really old now, amazing card though it was it just wasn't meant to run multiple high resolution screens I think.
m
l
January 31, 2010 12:43:42 AM

Gotcha'. Thanks again Jenny :) 
m
l
!