Media/editing PC build

Mike23_09

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Hello, this is a first time build for me. My main uses will be Photoshop, AutoCAD and a few other editing programs. I won't be doing any kind of gaming, at all.
Maximum budget, including OS, monitor, keyboard and mouse (basically i need everything, this build is completely from scratch) $1200.

I've got this list so far, i'm pretty sure its mostly compatible...

CPU - $279.99

MOTHERBOARD -$76.99

VIDEOCARD - $189.99

RAM - $99.99

PSU - $74.99

HDD- $54.99

Case - $19.99

DVD Drive - $24.99

WINDOWS 7 - $104.99

Total (without shipping and MIR) - $926.91

So, a few things i'm unsure on... I want to go to more than 4GB of RAM, but the motherboard i've chosen only supports dual channel. So to get the most out of 6GB+ i'd have to get a triple channel motherboard? But i can't seem to find a reasonably priced one. I'm not sure i can afford to go to 6GB+ RAM right now, but i'd like to be able to upgrade the RAM easily in the future when money allows.
Also, i'm tempted to get an SSD to install Window 7 and a few core programs on, however i haven't got a clue what SSD to go for, i don't think i'd need any more than 80GB?

Other things i need are a widescreen monitor in the 20" area... no bigger than 23" though and i might pick one up cheap on ebay/craigslist for now. Then a good/precise keyboard and mouse. And anything else, thermal paste? screws? extra cables? anything more?

The videocard i've chosen, will it be able to drive dual monitors if i eventually go that way?

Sorry for the long post, i hope i provided enough detail...

Thanks for any help, suggestions anyone can provide.

Mike

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I just ordered parts for a PC for video editing that is very similar to your build.

I do have a couple comments on your build though. For starters, open box motherboards scare me. I was initially looking at one as well, but thought better of it when the time to spend the money came. Also, I'm not sure about ASRock as a brand. I've seen some pretty good reviews on certain motherboards, but you might ask for some other opinions on motherboards and check and see what other people are using in their builds using a similar processor. Asus has never led me astray, personally.

Second, Rosewill is not exactly a quality case manufacturer. They're built cheap, from what I've read anyway. This is the case I picked up: Antec Nine Hundred. Don't skimp on your case, if it doesn't have good air flow, it can cause components to overheat.

If you're going to get that power supply, make sure you input "Febc10" minus the quotes to get a 10% discount on the unit. I'd personally select something a little higher end. Look for 80+ certified power supplies with active PFC. Your current one does have the active PFC, but is not 80+ certified.

I got the same Video Card that you did. No gaming for me either. I also got the same hard drive you did. However, I'm using the 500GB as my system drive, and added two 1TB models for my data drive.

Also, make sure you look through the combo deals on Newegg. A lot of times you can save quite a bit of money if you get the combo. If you have any questions, just let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

Mike23_09

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Thanks for the advice. i checked out your build, and its given me a few ideas. The main reason i was going for a cheap case is because i'm living on campus at university at the moment and i don't want a flash looking case that would attract to much attention... So i wanted a cheap looking case, but you're right i need/want good airflow.

I'll have a look around for better power supplies too, and for the hard drives i'll probably throw one of those 1TB drives in, i didn't think about how much space most of my work normally takes up.

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

Glad to help. If you have any questions, let me know.

Mike23_09

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Ok i've taken your advice and switched things up a little.
Here's what i've got now:

CPU - $279.99

RAM & PSU - $219.98 (After MIR $174.98) Does this PSU have all the certifications you mentioned? I think it does, but i'm a little unsure...

CASE - $54.99

VIDEO CARD - $189.99

DVD Drive - $24.99

WINDOWS 7 - $104.99

Hard Drive - $54.99

$884.92 without Motherboard, monitor, keyboard & mouse.

The only thing i'm struggling to find is a motherboard thats compatible with the CPU and supports triple channel memory. So i can use the 6GB. I am right in thinking i need a triple channel memory motherboard yeah?

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

Much better on the case. The power supply is 80+ rated and has the Active PFC, so yeah, you're good there. Nice find on the RAM/PSU combo. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if the socket 1156 CPUs/motherboards support triple channel. I believe it's dual channel only.

The following quote is from this link: i5 vs. i7 discussion

Mike23_09

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Here's what i've got now:-

RAM x2 - $208.99

MOTHERBOARD -$134.99

CPU -- - $279.99

CASE - $69.99

VIDEO CARD -- - $189.99

PSU & DVD DRIVE - - $86.98

Hard Drive -- - $54.99

WINDOWS 7 - $104.99

With Shipping & Tax - $1,242.85 - $25 MIR

So i've decided to stay with the i-7 860 and go 8gb of RAM, which will be in dual channel, right? The total is a little more than i was wanting to pay and i still need to get a monitor, keyboard & mouse. I think i'm ready to commit to this build, unless anyone can offer anything better or advise if i've got something incompatible? One other thing i'm still looking for is a SSD, i don't want too spend to much though, so i might hold out on the SSD and buy one when the prices hopefully come down a little/a lot.

MaizeNBlue2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010

Everything looks good from what I can tell. Yes the RAM would be in Dual Channel mode. I'd hold off on the SSD until they come down in price. You might try and get a few more opinions just to make sure, but it looks fine to me. Let us know how it goes!

Mike23_09

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
I'm definitely gonna wait on the SSD front, here's what i have now though:
BUILD.png

Can anyone give a second opinion? Thanks for your great help so far MaizeNBlue2.