FLickering red pixels with ATI 5770 and Dell monitor

TidalWaveOne

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I built a new computer and it's working very well for the most part but occasionally I get flickering red pixels on my Dell 3007WFP-HC monitor. I did not have this problem with my previous machine which used the same monitor but had 9800GT cards in it.

I have four monitors hooked up using dual Sapphire ATI 5770 cards and it only happens on the Dell 3007WFP-HC monitor.

I'm thinking this could be an ATI or Dell issue or just some strange compatibility issue.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I thought it might be the DVI cable but I replaced it with the highest quality 6 foot DVI cable that monoprice sells (really thick) and at first I thought it solved the issue but then it started happening again.

Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgh4MTHmJlQ

TidalWaveOne

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009

Thanks... but a couple questions.

1. I've never heard about a "burn in" issue that causes flickering pixels. Do you have more information?

2. This didn't happen with my older nVidia 9800GT card, so I wonder why it would happen with an ATI card and if there is a possible fix?

3. Sometimes when I reboot, the problem goes away (but usually comes back later).

4. GPU-Z says I have GPU temps of 49 and 40 C. I am wondering if that is reasonable and why the difference? Could it be because I have two cards and one card is hampering the airflow of the other card? When I installed them, it seemed like the 2nd card would create an airflow restriction.

Thanks!

Upendra09

Distinguished
1. i don't mean burn in exactly, it is probably somethign similar but i can't say what it is

2. who knows maybe coincidence,try going back to the old 9800 if you still have it, and then see if it still occurs

3. one card probably is blowing hot air on the other, 40 C is low but 49 C is starting to get high compared to the other card

Up2

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Hi,
I have the exact same issue.
Fantastic video, really hard to explain "red snow", "red dots". :eek:
I have a Samsung 40" LCD TV.
I see the problem, if I use a refresh rate to high.
To me it seemed to be the gfx card, but I changed to a Asus ENGT220 the other day, and the problem was the same.
I can hook up a normal PC LCD monitor without problems.

There's a ATI card on the way, and I'll try with that tomorrow or the the day after to see if the problem is fixed.

I use DVI->HDMI cable to connect my LCD TV.

My experience with my old onboard Intel G3100 gfx was, that the refreshrate should be as low as 30 Hz. My TV is 100 Hz. :(

jager0320

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I'm having the same issue with a new Dell XPS 9000 (ATI Radeon HD 5870 Graphics card) and new Dell ST2410 24inch flat panel. I have a smaller, older Dell monitor with no issues in the same set-up.

Up2

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Hi, my problem is solved!
I got the ASUS ATI EN4350 card the other day, with a HDMI connection available.
At first I tried the DVI -> HDMI cable I've been using so far.
The red flickering was exactly the same as the other cards.
Then I used a HDMI -> HDMI cable, and now all my problems are gone!

It seems that my Samsung LCD TV didn't like the DVI -> HDMI cable...

Hope you guys can get rid of the red dots too.

TidalWaveOne

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I bought a $100 "Accell UltraAV B087B-002B DisplayPort/DVI-D Dual-Link Adapter (Black)" to run 3 monitors and as a bonus it seems to output a signal that my Dell 3007WFP-HC likes! YEAH! So that was my solution.