Core i7-950 + Asus P6TD Deluxe + Corsair Dominator GT 6GB = Compatibility Proble

LittleCaptain

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Hello,
I need help please.
I just bought Corsair TX 950w Power Supply, Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz processor, Noctua NF-P14 cpu-cooler, Asus P6TD Deluxe motherboard, Corsair Dominator GT 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 16000C8 2000MHz Triple Channel Kit (CMT6GX3M3A2000C8).

Now to my problem: My system works only as dual channel (4GB RAM)

The system is functional but it shows me (in task manager and Bios) that i have installed 4GB Dual Channel Memory instead of 6GB Triple Channel.
Bios settings are in default mode[AUTO] and it is showing only 4GB Memory.
I checked about 20 times if my memory is well seated on the board and to the correct slots.
I also checked every memory stick on the first slot to make sure that all three of them are working properly.

Then i run a speed test with (CPU-Z) application and it showed me that i had 6GB triple channel memory but with much lower frequency. At the same moment Task Manager was showing 4GB!

I entered Bios and i change DRAM Voltage from [AUTO] to [1.66] and for a few minutes my system was running with 6GB Triple Channel Ram. Bios, Task Manager and CPU-Z were showing the same specifications until the system crashed.

I entered Bios again and i set XMP enable. With this setting Bios was showing exactly what my memory values had to be from the beginning. (2000MHz 8-9-8-24 1.65v - 1.25000) The system restarts but a black screen appears saying: overclock fail press F1 to enter Bios or F2 to load default settings and continue.

How to make triple channel memory to work?

Welcome Newcomer! :)

First, lets try easy - double check the manual and verify that you didn't accidentally place the DDR3 in the wrong DIMM sockets: A1, B1, C1 which oddly is skip 1{from the CPU right} = A1 | B1 | C1 {same color}.

Also easy, explanation anyway, if you are running XP/Vista/7 with 32-bit ALL you'll ever see is 4 GB. Limit of 2^32.

Next, is to remove the DDR3 in B1 | C1 and test start the rig, and if it starts {for now} -> repeat the process replacing the DDR3 in slot A1.

Last, D/L and create a bootable CD/DVD with Memtest86+ - http://www.memtest.org/
/** Memtest86+ V4.10 (04/05/2010) **
/Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)

Run Memtest ~ 1 - 2 hours.

Good Luck!

LittleCaptain

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I check the manual and my Ram more than ten times and i also tested each memory stick to A1 DIMM socket to make sure it works. I'm also running Windows 7 x64 (just formatted).

^ I added to run Memtest.

Q - What speed are you running the DDR3?

XMP - ONLY works if support by the MOBO vs the DDR3 being "compatible" with XMP. I wll check the ASUS's list and post back. For now {Disable} XMP.

LittleCaptain

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Thanks for helping me!
Now i have all Bios settings to default. I disabled XMP from the fist time i used it. Memory speed is [auto] i guess is 800MHz or 1066MHz. I haven't run Memtest wet.
According to Intel all i7 processors works at 1066MHz RAM maximum. Is this true?

LittleCaptain

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I updated my bios a week ago to version 0501 and nothing changed! Do you mean that my motherboard does not support the XMP profile for my RAM? Because I'm sure that my memory supports it! If not, does it matters to work as triple channel?

LittleCaptain

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
What i want now is for my system to recognize 6GB Triple channel memory. If memtest comes with no answer it means I'm still in a dead end..

My assumption is a deadend, but one LAST try - on GA this works with 1800+MHz DDR3 - Try A2 | B2 | C2 & go into the BIOS and set the CAS settings 8-9-8-24 @ 1.65V with the DDR3 speed to 2000 MHz.

You have extreme memory and supported DDR3 at 2000 MHz is hard to find that {works i7 9XX} vs {i7 8XX, etc}
Besides the list above, this is all the Corsairs for I7 support I could find that I know will work:
http://www.corsair.com/products/corei7/default.aspx

Alternatively, I recommend {Corsair, G.SKILL, Mushkin Kingston}