Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE newbie question

Last response: in Overclocking
October 27, 2012 9:14:33 PM

Hello,
First off, I am new to overclocking, so I thought I better ask people who are more advanced than me, before doing stupid things.
I read Dolk's guide to overlocking AMD Phenom II, but I didn't really understood how to do all of it properly....

First of all here's my specs (only using AMD OverDrive to do OC tests in the OS, will set the final values in BIOS after):
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31808218/Specs.PNG
*CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition 3.2 GHz
*RAM: 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
*GPU: ATI HD 4890 1GB
*PSU: Corsair Professional 850W

My goal is to reach 3.6-3.7 GHz, which isn't much I know, but that's still something, especially because I am using the stock cooler.

So, according to that guide, I first need to increase my CPU multiplier up to X18.5 (200*18.5=3700), then set the voltage to about 1.45 (not quite sure what this value should be like), set the CPU-NB multiplier to 12 (200*12=2400), and finally increase the CPU-NB voltage to 1.3V ? Now, I jsut need to run some tests like Prime95, and see if I don't crash or anything, and then I'm good to go?
If not, can someone explain, or help me out with what I should be doing?

Also, one other note: I noticed in AMD OverDrive that my DRAM frequency is set to 667 MHz (Speccy seems bugged) , and I was wondering if that was normal, because I remember that my RAM was advertised at 1600 MHz (Similar to the one over here). Should I change anything about it for the overlock aswell?

Thanks, and sorry I asked some obvious questions :whistle: 

Best solution

a c 78 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
October 28, 2012 2:05:31 AM

Too many variables at once.

First thing you need to do is get better cooling. Good examples are TX3 for smaller cases and hyper 212+ if you have room in your case.

Now to your overclock....

Try just increasing your multiplier. Let your motherboard worry about voltage at first. (The motherboard will automatically increase voltage when the CPU speed increases.)

Your motherboard should also deal with NB frequency on its own too.

You generally don't need to wade into all the other stuff unless you start really pushing your chip and need to squeeze that extra little bit out of it.

And even if your were to shoot for crazy clock speeds, you don't want to change a bunch of stuff at once.

Small steps. That way if/when your CPU crashes, you know exactly which variable you just changed and how much.

If your system crashes after you enter in a bunch of changes and then hit F10, you are left guessing which one of the many ingredients you just put in the pot made the stew taste bad.

a c 122 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 90 K Overclocking
October 28, 2012 2:57:58 AM

jackleblack said:

Also, one other note: I noticed in AMD OverDrive that my DRAM frequency is set to 667 MHz (Speccy seems bugged) , and I was wondering if that was normal, because I remember that my RAM was advertised at 1600 MHz (Similar to the one over here). Should I change anything about it for the overlock aswell?

Thanks, and sorry I asked some obvious questions :whistle: 

Z1 has you covered for the overclocking question(s).
Your ram clocks showing as 667 is showing the single data rate speed, since your ram is double data rate, multiplying that by two gives you 1333MHz speed. You will need to manually set your speed, timings and voltage in BIOS to get the 1600MHz speed.
m
l
Related resources
a c 139 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a c 242 K Overclocking
October 28, 2012 11:17:52 AM

CPU-NB voltage to 1.3V ? is dangerous in long time your chipset will die .. go down max 1.2
m
l
October 30, 2012 5:35:54 PM

Best answer selected by jackleblack.
m
l
October 30, 2012 5:43:10 PM

Thanks for the replies, so I simply adjusted the multiplier and the the motherboard did the rest it seems.
I set multiplier to 17.0x just to test things out and the motherboard adjusted the NB voltage to 1.375V. Not sure if it changed the CPU voltage, but it's currently at 1.350V.
Then I changed the RAM speed to 800Mhz, and it adjusted the voltage to 1.9V.
According to @henydiah he said that it's dangerous, but if the motehrboard adjusted it automatically, it can't be that bad, right? The default voltage was at 1.175V I beleive.
Thanks

EDIT: I realized I shouldn't have set the topic to answered just yet, crap =/
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
October 30, 2012 6:40:51 PM

Are you sure you aren't talking about cpu core voltage?

1.375v is fine for vcore on that chip, but high for NB voltage.

Can you post a screen shot?
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2012 12:57:16 AM

1.375 is the "VID". This is a voltage that corresponds to a given variable for a given frequency. AMD Overdrive apparently knows better than to follow the VID in this instance.

"Current voltage" still shows 1.1 volts for your NB. So that's fine.

However, your DDR voltage is NOT fine. You need to drop that back to within your RAM's specs. I would actually just run the RAM at stock settings if it won't stabilize the higher frequency with a voltage that falls withing spec.
m
l
October 31, 2012 8:21:02 PM

Z1NONLY said:
1.375 is the "VID". This is a voltage that corresponds to a given variable for a given frequency. AMD Overdrive apparently knows better than to follow the VID in this instance.

"Current voltage" still shows 1.1 volts for your NB. So that's fine.

However, your DDR voltage is NOT fine. You need to drop that back to within your RAM's specs. I would actually just run the RAM at stock settings if it won't stabilize the higher frequency with a voltage that falls withing spec.

All right, so the NB VID voltage is fine then thanks. I'll keep my CPU @ 3.5 GHz and see how that goes, but will scale down the RAM to 1.65V as it's what it shows up in the official website:
http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/xms-cla...

Should I run Memtest to check my RAM stability with that voltage, or are there other software that can do that?

(sorry for all these questions, I just want to get it right =/ )
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
October 31, 2012 10:42:40 PM

Yes the free version only lets you run 2G at a time, so you have to run as many 2g tests at once until there is less than 2g that is not in use.

Then run more additional test and select "all available" or something to that effect.

Bottom line is to get all your RAM busy at once. Of course, then you need to find something else to do for a long time as your computer will be useless while all the RAM is being tested. (I run Memtest overnight)

Also, just to be clear, your NB VID is only "fine" because your computer is NOT running the NB at that voltage. If the "current" NB voltage was 1.375v there would be a problem. But like I said, AMD overdrive seems to know better than to follow the VID in this case.
m
l
!