How to overclock my HD 4770 from XFX

thesgsuser

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012
Hello,

I am pretty new to OC'ing a gpu. i have a bit old pc here coming from 2009.
It has a XFX HD 4770. At standard clocks. While i am playing Prototype 2 it will get laggy.. well ofcourse its because of my old card. But i was wondering how to overclock this gpu for a bit better experience? I have opened AMD Overdrive first, but a wise man told me to not use it and use MSI Afterburner ^_^

Is it just a matter of CoreClock increasing and increasing Memory clock? It looks like i cant expand it really much till max in msi afterburner.

So can i max it out because it aint really much to increase till max. And what about voltages? i heard i shouldnt really go crazy with voltages :p what is normal?

Btw, for fun i tried the fan speed static at 100%.. Well it sounds like a boeing that is about to fly lol..

the 4770's have really weak heatsinks. you might be able to get a solid 10% OC out of it, but thats nothing you'd prob every notice unless you are benchmarking.

try upping the clocks a bit, but i wouldnt touch the voltages.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
If I were you, I would do some research into how much your 4770 can handle first before you start tinkering.
And I would also use the overdrive first till you get the general idea of what your *actual* card can handle(the actual card itself, not the model) as overdrive will figure it out for you.

Baby steps, and be careful

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

afterburner is a great tool.

First you are going to need to create a nice aggresive fan profile.

Then you are going to start overclocking the core mhz of your card. In increments till you find the highest stable number at stock voltage.

By that I mean start a game and play it, looking at the graphical numbers on the screen and see if you crash.

If you don't then you increase the core a bit more, if you crash then you back off to the previous level and you have found your max stable overclock IF temperatures remain good.

Overclocking memory gives much less results, and can make your overclock non stable. I would just leave this alone since you have stock gpu cooler.

For some fun check this out:

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/145445,xfx-4770-overclocks-like-a-champ-on-air.aspx

thesgsuser

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012

Hey thanks! i will look at this tomorrow, i just played a bit with the card and seems to work just fine with CCC. Well i will really look in to this, i like it ^_^, my videocard at 100% is really to loud, should i just leave it to auto with overclock??

ProVisionOman

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Yes. Or you could go to the options and do that table thing that you set at a certain degrees a certain fan speed. It's in Afterburner :D

TRENDING THREADS