Will a motherboard take slower ram then advertised?

kd0frg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
im interested in buying this motherboard to fix an older HP computer

Foxconn A74ML-K

on their website it advertises the slowest ddr2 rating at 667, how ever the only ram i have now is ddr2 533 .. would it not work at all then based on the speed alone? Or does it have to be bare minimum of 667?

My guess is it might work. Typically it is not a good idea to use unsupported ram, but most am2 boards will run the DDR2 533. Since you haven't bought the foxconn yet, I would look for a different model. Better to pay a bit more for assured compatibility.

Foxconn is a brand that I don't happen to have much experience with. Typically for budget motherboards I trust msi and Biostar.

That page includes the approved memory list and the DDR2 533 ram is not listed. I would say no to that one as well.
Gigabyte is one of the better mobo manufacturers, indicating higher quality however that doesn't mean your ram will work.
Sorry

kd0frg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010

in the manual download for the motherboard it lists 533 though? Its starting to confuse me haha

kd0frg

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
The memory i have is micron which almost matches their support list accept its a slower one 533, so im going to take a gamble, its only 1gb of ddr2 anyway, if all else fails ill just have to buy another stick or something of the prefferred brand to get it running -- well thanks for your input buzznut i appreciate it

np. sometimes you just have to take a chance. which I reckon is about 50/50.
gl

BTW Micron owns crucial and supplies the chips for crucial ram, therefore if crucial is approved then micron will work as well.