I'm building my first computer

pleasenoname

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: now or a month from now.
BUDGET RANGE: 200-800
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming(Spore Mass Effect 2, Star Trek online), learning prgramming, video editing, TV recording .

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I have keyboard, mouse/USB contoller, 720p HDMI monitor, external speakers, 100 GB laptop Hard Drive.
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, other.
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.S.A.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I want to use a quad core or 6 core CPU, with hyper threading. GPU with ability to output to multiple monitors.

OVERCLOCKING: No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 720p 31.5 inches
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: A window would be nice. I would like a quiet PC. I value efficiency, I want a good graphics card, but it doesn't have to be the best, as long as it is efficient at what it does. I want HDMI output to my display. A versatile Motherboard??, for future changes/reconfigurations.
I have used a Nvidia GPU in my laptop for 5 years, so i am biased in favor of it. Two GPUs on the same graphics card would be more efficent in my opinion, than SLI. I don't know much about crossfire, is it the same as SLI?
Is Phenom better than Athlon? I'm biased in favor of intel, so i don't know. I want to use my laptop Hard Drive in it, I like using what is on hand.
The ability to stretch the image over multiple screens would be good.

Solution
The L3 cache has to be shared, its how the cores talk to each other. If they had seperate caches all the way through they'd have to use the RAM to talk/share info. By higher I assume you mean larger? Larger L2 caches can help, but isn't much of a big deal for chips with an IMC. Even Intel uses a small L2 cache now that the memory controller is on the chip. There does seem to be an issue with the 57xx and 58xx cards, AMD says they have an update that fixes it. Might want to hold off for awhile if your concerned.
You shouldn't use your laptop HDD in a desktop. A laptop drive is a lot slower than a desktop HDD, so the new computer would seem slow. Find yourself an external HDD and transfer all the files.

Here's what I would build:

CPU: Phenom II X4 810 $134
Mobo/OS: Combo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO and Windows 7 64-bit $205 after rebate
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115
HDD/PSU: Combo: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB and OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W $95 after rebate
Optical: Cheapest SATA DVD burner $25
Case: Antec 300 Illusion $70
GPU: HD 5770 $153

Total: $797.

ATI is a much better choice right now. This is a current generation GPU that will scale up really well in Crossfire (which is the same as SLI). You're not getting an Intel quad core with hyperthreading with your budget. The cheapest one is $280, and the boards are a good $50 more expensive than AMD boards. There are no 6 core CPUs out right now.

pleasenoname

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I saw a processor that has a higher(3.2Ghz) clock speed and a 6MB L3 cache:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674
Any thoughts on that? It'll work in that board? Seems worthwhile for slightly more.
I could afford $2000, but i want to see how cheap i can build it.
I mention the laptop HDD (Hard Drive), because i replaced the one in my laptop and now have three.
It's EIDE though, so it won't be compatible. Unless there is some kind of adaptor interface? I plan on running multiple OS, later.
What are your thoughts on the 9800 GT graphics card? It seems equivalent to the 5770 in performance and (same)price. It has multiple DVI outputs too.
I'll add one of those all in one memory card readers also.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Get MadAdmirals build, it's great. The CPU you listed (AMD 955) is a higher end version of the 810. Both fit in the same motherboard, but the 955 is more powerful.

If you're willing to pay a few $ more for a high performance build, get MadAdmiral's build but with a 955 CPU.

If a feature-rich mobo matters, a Gigabyte motherboard with USB 3.0 and Sata 6GB/s is a sound investment. If you really want a side window, take a look at the Xigmatek Midgard. It's the only case that has a window, is of good quality and is affordable I can think of.

Yes, crossfire is the same as SLI, but with ATI cards.

Phenom II CPU's have L3 cache, Athlon II CPU's don't. So Phenom II is the higher end line.

Agree with everything above.

The 955 is a great CPU, but it's a tad out of budget.

On the TV recording idea, you would need at least one TV tuner (possibly 2 to watch and record at the same time). In addition, it becomes extremely difficult to record from a cable or satellite feed, almost to the point that it is impossible. With the cost of TV tuners, you wouldn't be getting a very good gaming computer. Likely, you would have to drop to the cheapest dual or triple AM3 CPU, 2 GB of RAM and a much less powerful GPU. While it can be done, you should decide if it's really worth sacrificing being able to play many games for being able to record only over the air TV stations.

pleasenoname

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
My laptop has an internal TV tuner, with Windows XP Media Center Edition
(MCE is really an altered XP Profesional edition). You can download a TV schedule from microsoft that makes it easy to automatically record shows, while you are at work. It saves the files as DVR.ms .Analog TV was DRM-free, so it was editable, but when the switch to digital came, Microsoft made it DRM and locked it up. So, editing together even news clips is not possible with that now.
I liked how Civilization 4 was DRM free and easily customizable.

I was looking at a dual TV tuner on one card, but I don't feel like paying $149 just to record TV(miss VHS , haha). I bought an extra RCA converter box , so that I can have PIP on my display, while I'm gaming. I suppose I can watch what i miss on HULU.
I will get Windows 7 Professional. I see that Ultimate has support for 30 languages though. I have asian languages (Japanese) and mexican spanish enabled in the language bar.
$30 seems resonable, to have a little better CPU. I like that Gigabyte board, it has dual BIOS, for BIOS backup. All boards(Mobo) should have dual BIOS.
.... going to local store to look at cases.

Does shared access to that L3 cache cause some sort of bottle neck? would higher L2 caches show better performance gains?
I read about some sort of grey screen issues with 5770? otherwise it seems good though. I remember the AMD overheating days, but what i read about the processor turning off unused cores seems efficient and it is integrated into the chip instead of the BIOS, all prudent features.

4745454b

Titan
The L3 cache has to be shared, its how the cores talk to each other. If they had seperate caches all the way through they'd have to use the RAM to talk/share info. By higher I assume you mean larger? Larger L2 caches can help, but isn't much of a big deal for chips with an IMC. Even Intel uses a small L2 cache now that the memory controller is on the chip. There does seem to be an issue with the 57xx and 58xx cards, AMD says they have an update that fixes it. Might want to hold off for awhile if your concerned.

Solution

ares1214

Splendid
i hate to barge in here with a better build, but look at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.329720

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.334830

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227478

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118032

final price is 713.92, and it has a better cpu, and imo a better case, but they are the same price, so swap them out if you want. also a better mobo with sata 6 and usb 3...hope this helped :)

pleasenoname

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Thanks, been reading alot.
Here are some cases i like; because they are wide open:http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skeleton-torture-rack,2411-5.html

Biostar (Mobo) any good? A friend has one of those.
I'm thinking of staying with XP, i like it so much and it got better performance results in an article.

pleasenoname

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Ok, ordering the CPU, Mobo, HDD and RAM. Anyone like 9800GTS? Can that work/interface with an AMD motherboard? The 5750 is like a slower 5770, do you think that it will be more stable because of the slower speed?

Does apple sell their operating system? i want to make another computer and give it to a Mac obsessed friend.