BUDGET RANGE: $1,000-1,400

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming > Everything else

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Speakers/Keyboard/Mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Best for the price

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 if possible with the budget

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I now the budget is small, so we'll have to work with it. I really want the core i5.. so some items will have to take a cut. Also, I checked newegg, they are charing a lot for shipping! I remember when it use to be free!

How does this look so far?

(CPU)Intel Core i5-750 and (MOBO)ASUS P7P55D PRO

(GPU)XFX Radeon HD 5850 and (Power Supply)OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

(RAM)G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB

(HDD)Samsung F3 500gig

(CASE)Antec Three Hundred Illusion

(Optical Drive)Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD

(OS)Windows 7 64-bit OEM

Please tell me how this build looks and what can be improved.
Also, am I missing anything?
The total is about $1065 with the $30 rebate. I need advice on a good budget monitor. I would like 1920x1080.

tecmo34

Administrator
I believe the 5850 is 10.5" card, plus plugs in makes it about a 11" card. This will fit inside the Antec 300 but will be tight. The 5870 or 5970 will not fit without cutting away some of the metal on the inside of the Antec.

cpp214

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I actually have that Asus monitor, and it's really a great monitor for the price.
The only cons I can mention are that it only has one HDMI port and it doesn't have a built in TV tuner. These are not features I was worried about when I got it back in October, but are things I would like to have now. Also, the buttons are a little cheap feeling and they aren't backlit. But these are very minor cons. I'd say it's one of the best monitors for the price, bar none. The picture quality is excellent. The speakers are fine to me. They are not great, but I don't know of many monitors that have great built in speakers. I'd definitely recommend it.

Kasceis

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
We won't be using the built-in-speakers, but it does look like a great monitor for the price, thanks for your imput!

Does anyone else have comments about the comptuer build or monitor?

Also, is everyone for sure that a 5850 will fit inside an Antec 300 Illusion case?

tecmo34

Administrator

I'm about 99.9% sure without putting one in an Antec 300 myself, I can't be 100%. I've seen a few Tom's users (Ext64... I believe is one) showing in their sig. that they are using a 5850 in an Antec 300. Also, a few Google searches so they same thing that people are able to fit the GPU in the 300.