Overclocking Core2Duo E6420 with P5Ne-SLI mobo

donmel

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Hello,
Could someone help me with overclocking as I m doing this for the first time.
I have a Core2Duo E6420
Asus P5NE-SLI motherboard
2GB x 4 (8 GB Ram) @ 800 mhz
Nvidia 550 Ti graphics card

HAFSIX

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
What are you after, highest stable overclock or just some spare Ghz? What is your CPU cooling situation? And do you want a in windows utility or do you posses the tech knowledge to do it VIA BIOS ? some mobos also have a UEFI bios update(flash) making OCing a very simple although I dont think you will find one for yours. My old MSI P6N SLI did have a core 2 duo utility that was purposed to OC but it never would work correctly.

also a good place to start

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/276547-29-overclocking-core

donmel

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
Thanks! What I m after is some spare Ghz as I m not using any professional cooling devices except the fans. Would be maybe changing the ceramic paste which I m currently using to a silver one. I m currently at around 50C so I dont think could go much further. I use 2 side fans and a front and back fans and a fan with the power supply (cooler master) which also pulls the air out. Actually I wonder with so many fans why the temperature is still around 50!

A windows utility sounds the most easiest way to achieve it. Though I m not sure which would be better. I could tweak the bios if you could guide me?

As far as the flash update you were talking, is it this that I found out:

EZ Flash 2
* Simply update BIOS from a USB flash disk before entering the OS
EZ Flash 2 is a user-friendly BIOS update utility. Simply launch this tool and update BIOS from a USB flash disk before entering the OS. You can update your BIOS only in a few clicks without preparing an additional floppy diskette or using an OS-based flash utility.

If this is the one, my mobo supports its.

Thanks!