Sign in with
Your question
Solved

NEED HELP with gaming build ~$850

Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2010 5:19:46 AM

I think I have a pretty good gaming build going but I can always us some more advice. This build is $842 dollars before rebates and with shipping. (I live in CA, gotta love that sales tax that added $63 to may build) I do need some advice on whether everything is compatible and/or if something is better for the same price. I might be overclocking but I'm still not sure how to do it or how to use BIOS, I guess I can learn. I pretty much meed everything for a gaming build except for a monitor that my brother is giving me (1900x1080) I will be mostly playing source games but I will play others.

($40) Case: I liked it because its cheap, it has two 120mm fans and has room for 2 more fans.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

($22) Keyboard/mouse Combo: Seems like its cheap and good quality, I didnt want to go cheap on my keyboard and mouse since I will be gaming.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

($50) HardDrive: Its cheap and I dont need a ton of memory.

($104) RAM: 4GB is compatible with i5 750 and P55 MotherBoards, DDR3 1600 too.

($285) i5-750/Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L LGA1156 Intel: I heard the i7 is better than the AMD 955 BE and wanted the P55 for my video card and possible future crossfiring.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

($78) DVD Player/PSU: Wanted PSU because its cheap and had a big discount and $25 rebate, DVD player is cheap and works.

($165) Video Card: ATI 5770 it has DX11 and heard its good. I really wanted to get the best bang for my buck and I think the 5770 is the best and I kinda built the computer around it, and wanted the free game in the combo. :) 

($15) Headset: Looks decent and is cheap, just want a comfy headset with a mic.

($760 + $63 sales tax+ $20 shipping= $843)

Any help will be greatly appreciated, any advice on compatibly or anything will help, thanks again.

More about : gaming build 850

February 7, 2010 5:54:40 AM

Do whatever you can to upgrade to at least a 5850. The 5770 "seems" like a good card but it won't play modern games at a high res and will barely push gameplay to eye infinity....plus, it's dx11 capabilities are weak ass f*ck. You can barely get 30 fps with that card on Drit2, a game that doesnt really push dx11 to the limit. Cough up some more money or trim some fat and get the 5850. I'm only pushing this card so much cuz your post is "gaming build", gamers need good gpu's....get the 5850, be happy, save up your spare change for a month to make up the difference...you won't regret it.
m
l
February 7, 2010 6:23:59 AM

Thanks for the advice, Im only a casual gamer though. I dont think I can spare the extra 150 dollars for a 5850, if I do then I'm probably gonna need more PSU power and then more cooling then its gonna be another 100-150 on top the 5850. But if you can convince me, How much better is the 5850 compared to the 5770? What will I need to change on my build if I do get the 5850?
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2010 4:07:47 PM

squirrel15 said:
Thanks for the advice, Im only a casual gamer though. I dont think I can spare the extra 150 dollars for a 5850, if I do then I'm probably gonna need more PSU power and then more cooling then its gonna be another 100-150 on top the 5850. But if you can convince me, How much better is the 5850 compared to the 5770? What will I need to change on my build if I do get the 5850?

The power supply should be fine for a 5850 (it's a good brand), and I have to agree with dimmzeta73 that a 5770 will struggle at that res. If you can't increase your budget, it would actually be better for you to get a dual core (like the i3-530 or a dual core i5) and the 5850. You don't have any parts you can reuse? Like a KB and mouse?

One other thing, get the 500GB F3 instead. 180GB more, only $5 more, and MUCH better performance.

EDIT: Also, I don't think you need to worry about extra cooling; the 5850 doesn't get too hot. If you're willing to wait, though, the 5830 should be coming out soon and it should be perfect for you.
m
l
February 7, 2010 5:29:57 PM

Hey man, check out these benchmarks

http://www.techspot.com/review/209-ati-radeon-hd-5770/

the 5770 is somewhat of a weak card, but it will make most games "playable". i put that in quotes because "playable" isn't super smooth, you'll see the games slow down here and there but for the most part it will be allright. good thing to do is think of what games you want to play

when i'm looking for a gpu i ask myself "what do i want to play and what do i play the most?" If you are a gamer who wants to always play the latest games at high res i'd get the 5850 for sure. If you are a guy who is playing WoW and Counter Strike, then the 5770 will be totally fine for your needs.

These forums are full of information but at the end of the day you gotta STOP...HAMMER T... err i mean, STOP...and ask yourself what is it you want from the system. That way you'll be happy with every dollar going into your rig.

The 5830 was supposed to come out Feb 5th but it has been delayed without any more info due to some problems with it. No idea when that guy is going to be on shelves.
m
l
February 7, 2010 5:32:46 PM

Thanks a lot blackjellognomes, When will the 5830 be coming out? I did make a rig for myself that had the 5850 in for around the same price as my build at the top, it has all the same stuff except for the listed below. I had to dumb down the CPU/Motherboard (looked at more AMD products for price). I was struggling with which combo I should get, the second MoBo/CPU is $40 more and is pushing my budget:

I got the 5850 with this PSU:

And got this RAM instead of the G.Skill because its about $15 less for same performance. (i think):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E168...

This build would give me the 5850 instead the 5770, but I'm sacrificing some CPU and MoBo power for it. Is it worth it? I also want my computer to last too and able to play games in the future. Whats the better investment? Anything I can rearrange to make it better too?
m
l
February 7, 2010 5:52:43 PM

Oh wow, thats a big difference dimmzeta73! The 5850 is continually 20% to 40% better than the 5770. But I want to keep it as close to $800 as possible and I guess I'll go to $850 if its really worth it. I do need a keyboard/mouse/headset which is killing me and causing me to really get about a $750 build instead of an $830 build or so. I want to get an Intel i5-750 with a P55 MoBo but Intel isnt too cheap, or should I get some cheaper AMD products CPU etc but I heard its not as good as the Intel. So I'm really stuck on getting a Great Video Card with cheaper CPU/Mobo etc (AMD) or a Good Video Card with Great CPU/Mobo(Intel). Any help will be great. Thanks!
m
l
February 7, 2010 6:15:29 PM

Mmkay, if you're buying soon, the best way to maximize performance while staying within budget would be to get the 5850 and either a black edition dual-core PII (like the 550; I can't promise it'll unlock but it's probable) or an Athlon II 630. The PII will give you the greatest performance if it unlocks, and if it doesn't, at least you'll have the unlocked multiplier. If you get the 630, you'll want to overclock a bit, at least to 3.0GHz (you might be able to reach 3.4 or even 3.6GHz on the stock cooler). The 5850 is definitely worth it. GPU is more important in your situation. Just keep an eye out for combos and other specials.
m
l
February 7, 2010 7:18:01 PM

Thanks, but what do you mean but 'unlock'? Like overclocking? If I was able to find a keyboard/mouse/headset somewhere and was able to get that extra $60 is it worth it to get the i5-750 and a little better Mobo? is the AMD phenom 955 black edition good? is that worth the little extra money if I was to stay with the AMD build?
m
l
February 7, 2010 8:34:58 PM

Black edition dual-core Phenoms have 2 active physical cores and 2 dormant physical cores. AMD disabled the dormant cores because occasionally their PII X4s had a core or two that malfunctioned, and hence they created the dual-core and tri-core PIIs to make a little extra $$$. But to keep the growing number of customers happy, they had to produce more. So they also disabled cores on some PII X4s that actually functioned normally. These cores are unlockable on a mobo with a SB750 or SB710 southbridge, though there is a chance that you'll get a PII dual core that really only has two functioning cores.

Now. Assuming you will be getting a 5850, it IS worth it to get the i5-750. It will perform slightly better than the 955 BE, though the difference is negligible, especially in gaming. Both are great CPUs.
An AMD build should cost less than a similarly performing Intel build though.... I not sure what you're referring to when you ask "is that worth the little extra money if I was to stay with the AMD build?".
BUT don't get the 750 or 955 if you don't get the 5850. Again, it would be better to get a dual-core and the 5850 than a quad-core and the 5770.
m
l
February 7, 2010 8:52:14 PM

Thanks this does help, so if I get the Intel i5-750, I should get the P55 for possible future Crossfiring right? and if I do the AMD 955 BE I should get a SB750 or SB710 so I can maybe unlock those other cores? If I end up getting the 5770 I dont need either one of these CPUs becuz its a waste power?
m
l

Best solution

February 7, 2010 9:27:56 PM

Check out the ati 4890 http://www.techspot.com/review/206-his-radeon-hd-5850/p...

DX11 and eyeinfinity is just hype right now. How many people play on three f*cking screens...like, is one 24 inch hd screen not enough? Why would you want to have black lines running through your display. Eye infinity is just trying to push the hardware market so people start buying multiple screens, overpriced cards, and dx11 isn't going to be big untill the end of this year. Hell, the difference between dx9, dx10, and dx11 isn't that great.

So yea the 4890 is 100 bucks less, can keep up in many games to the 5850. The 5850 is pricey because you are paying $$ for not only its good performance, but also for stuff you don't really need right now e.g dx11/eye infinity.

Ask yourself what you want? Do you want to not worry about dx11 upgrades and someday play on three screens? if yes then....get the 5850 with an amd dual core 550 or 555....if you dont care much about dx11 and eye infinity and play games that dont see a big difference in fps between 4890 and 5850 get the 4890

The money you save NOW you can spend on perks later in 2 years if you are still gaming, if you are not gaming then you have that money for beer/movies/a new dining set...whatever

I'm a budget gamer, i want every dollar to shine, ask yourself what games you want to play and go from there

A plus of going with the amd build is that AMD isn't prone to changing its sockets. Like the dual core phenoms, the quad core phenoms and the new 6 core cpu's that are coming out will be on the am3 socket. So as you get more bucks you can just drop a sexy new cpu in the mobo you get with the 550/555 dual core.

Ah, and if you have one close....check out Microcenter, they have good deals and sometimes sales that make you want to cry, last week they had i7-920's for 199.99

Cheers, good luck on the build dude
February 7, 2010 9:35:08 PM

Ooh. Crossfire on P55 is a touchy topic. I'm not too knowledgeable about this, but from what I know, P55 does not provide sufficient bandwidth for CF with both slots @ x16. The best it can do it x8/x8, I believe. However, the difference isn't too great unless you're gaming at high resolutions like 2560x1600.
Recently there's been talk of Nvidia's NF200 on the P55 platform that supposedly makes up for the lower bandwidth, but you're going to want to read up on that yourself:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/p55-crossfire-nf200...
I think x8/x8 should be fine though. Also, you won't need to CF 5850s any time soon. CFing 5770s might be a different story.

Unlocking cores only works on dual- and tri-cores, because they were initially quad-cores. AMD does not yet produce a consumer CPU with more than 4 cores, so you can't unlock a 955. Nonetheless, it is a black edition (meaning an unlocked multiplier, which is completely different from unlockable cores) so you can overclock extremely easily.

Now, getting the 5770 and either the 750 or 955 is NOT a waste. I only meant that for the same money, you would get better performance from a dual core and the 5850. But you brought up a good point that reminded me of another option: you can get a 750 or 955 with a Crossfire-capable board and the 5770, and then when you want to upgrade get another 5770 for CF. Probably the best option in your case.
m
l
February 7, 2010 9:46:46 PM

dimmzeta73 said:
Check out the ati 4890 http://www.techspot.com/review/206-his-radeon-hd-5850/p...

DX11 and eyeinfinity is just hype right now. How many people play on three f*cking screens...like, is one 24 inch hd screen not enough? Why would you want to have black lines running through your display. Eye infinity is just trying to push the hardware market so people start buying multiple screens, overpriced cards, and dx11 isn't going to be big untill the end of this year. Hell, the difference between dx9, dx10, and dx11 isn't that great.

So yea the 4890 is 100 bucks less, can keep up in many games to the 5850. The 5850 is pricey because you are paying $$ for not only its good performance, but also for stuff you don't really need right now e.g dx11/eye infinity.

Ask yourself what you want? Do you want to not worry about dx11 upgrades and someday play on three screens? if yes then....get the 5850 with an amd dual core 550 or 555....if you dont care much about dx11 and eye infinity and play games that dont see a big difference in fps between 4890 and 5850 get the 4890

The money you save NOW you can spend on perks later in 2 years if you are still gaming, if you are not gaming then you have that money for beer/movies/a new dining set...whatever

I'm a budget gamer, i want every dollar to shine, ask yourself what games you want to play and go from there

A plus of going with the amd build is that AMD isn't prone to changing its sockets. Like the dual core phenoms, the quad core phenoms and the new 6 core cpu's that are coming out will be on the am3 socket. So as you get more bucks you can just drop a sexy new cpu in the mobo you get with the 550/555 dual core.

Ah, and if you have one close....check out Microcenter, they have good deals and sometimes sales that make you want to cry, last week they had i7-920's for 199.99

Cheers, good luck on the build dude

Hehe, you're really into the "ask yourself..." thing, aren't ya?

You're right about AMD having longer-lasting sockets, but I have to disagree about the benefits (or lack thereof) of the HD5xxx series. DX11 and Eyefinity aren't the only benefits. They run cooler and use less watts. They have smaller PCBs. They also allow you to bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio over a protected audio path. Etc, etc. Don't hate on them just because you haven't done your homework. They 4890 will soon be replaced by the 5830.
m
l
February 7, 2010 10:09:07 PM

I want a build that will last a good 4 years or so and thats why I wanted the 5850 with DX11. I dont want to get a video card that I'm going to have to replace in a year or two. This is pretty much old muscle (4890) versus the new less power hungry but still very good. (5850/5830) I'm not getting it for eyefinity, I'm mainly getting it because it has the DX11 and know it will last much longer. I wanted a build for the long run and DX11 seems to be the future and I dont want to pay $700 dollars on a build that I'm going to have to replace half the parts just to keep up with modern games. I would rather go the extra $150 or so and have it last much longer (bcuz of DX11, runs cooler etc). But thank you both for your opinions and they both have been very helpful, I will take the 4890 into consideration. This has all been very helpful! any other ideas will be appreciated. Thanks guys!
m
l
February 7, 2010 11:17:10 PM

Haha yea they run cooler and use less watts, but its like saying 199.99 is less than 200 dollars. Its not that big of a difference, i have done my homework, "ask yourself " is what a lot of gamers don't do. He now knows exactly what he wants, our job on tom's is done.

Good luck on that build dude, good luck with no doa parts =D/

Edit: the 5830 was supposed to come out feb 5th, had problems, now its up in the air. Sure it will come out eventually but who knows when.
m
l
February 8, 2010 1:11:39 AM

Alright I have a good idea, thanks again dimmzeta73.
I'm waiting till I get paid to buy my build which is in about 2 weeks or so. I hope the 5830 comes out before then but it seems doubtful.
Thanks again.
m
l
February 23, 2010 7:11:20 PM

Best answer selected by Squirrel15.
m
l
February 24, 2010 7:23:18 AM

Thanks for the best answer dude.

Also the 5850 can be overclocked to 5870 performance and will still run cool. Although everyone that has bragged about their 5850 reaching 5870 performance hasn't talked about noise levels. I assume if it's running cool then the fan isnt spooling up as high, and as a result it is still quiet. 5850 is a great card if you want to drop the $ on it.

Here is another reason i go for the whole "ask yourself what games you will play" approach. In this article techspot states that a 5750 will run starcraft II, at least the beta of it, at an avg of 59 fps at 1920x1200 resolution.

http://www.techspot.com/news/37969-starcraft-ii-beta-te...

So like, if you are a starcraft junkie, this game will probably the only thing you play for a year or even two once it comes out....so you could just get a 5750 and sit at home like a happy panda playing sc2 on a system that isn't that expensive and is doing exactly what you want.

Good luck on the build.
m
l
February 24, 2010 7:26:29 AM

*slaps face*....ok so i read the whole thing and they were saying that sc2 seems cpu dependant and they were testing the 5750 with a i7 965....so yea, maybe a 5750 won't do it super smooth unless you get an i5 or a x4 amd cpu..

..whatever nothing is final yet, hopefully my rant wont start another rant and then more rants that derail your original post -_-
m
l
!