Solved

CM690 II Advanced - optimal fan placement?

I'm considering the CM690 II Advanced for my next build, and, with 10 potential fans, I was wondering which setup would work best. The positions are:

Front: 140 x 25 mm Blue LED fan x 1
Rear: 120 mm fan x 1
Top: 140 x 25 mm fan x 1 (supports x 2)
Bottom: 120 mm fan x 2 (optional)
Left side: 120 / 140 mm fan x 2 (optional)
Right side: 80 x 15 mm x 1 (optional)
HDD cage: 120 mm fan x 1 (optional)
VGA holder: 80 x 15 mm fan x 1 (optional)

In addition to the fans provided front, rear, and top, I was thinking of adding:

2 x left side fans (140 mm)
1 x top fan (140mm, for a total of 2 top fans)

Would this provide sufficient airflow for an i5, 1 GPU gaming system that will probably not be overclocked? Also, should the side fans be set to intake or exhaust?

Thanks!
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cm690 advanced optimal placement
  1. No need to add any fan but you can add the HDD cage one and that's it. No side fans, only front, back and top.
  2. Is that because the other fans provide sufficient airflow, or because sidefans aren't particularly effective?

Thanks!
  3. Best answer
    The best airflow is front to back/top. Side fans only disrupt the airflow and you need them (intake mounted) only if your video card overheats but you can mount on that case a bottom fan and it should be better than a side fan.
  4. Best answer selected by src1425.
  5. The case you are considering rocks. The fans that come with it will be more than enough cooling for your setup. Try it out and see. This case is awesome.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Fan Components